The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-10-2020, 12:12 AM   #1
Sevens

Re: Project '65 - The "build" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin63 View Post
Very cool! I look forward to following along your build. I spent a lot of time in the Fallbrook area for work, racing support, etc. (that's where my truck was painted). What are some of your plans for it? Good luck on the build up!
I bought my split bench of a guy that does car restorations in Bonsall...

Who painted your truck? Paint is one thing that I think I will leave to the pros. I plan to do the bulk body work myself but I will most likely hire someone to do the actual filling/blocking/sanding and spraying...so I am looking for recommendations within an hour or so of San Diego.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
3rd time's the charm! I watched a bunch of youtube videos about it, and one of my friends who learned to weld at his college also taught me. The key is to start with scrap metal and just weld on it. Practice, practice, practice.

On the doors you just picked up, if the handle pocket ends up needing to be replaced, you might be able to just cut out and weld in the ones from your damaged doors
Are there any particular YouTube videos or channels that you would recommend?

I plan on keeping my old doors around until the bodywork is complete for that exact reason (just in case I need to cut/weld). Both sets of doors have good glass and I think both sets of vent windows and hardware are in decent shape... I plan to cherry pick the best parts and then sell the windows once I finish "loading" my doors.

When I put the doors together, I want to replace all of the rubber and felt tracks in both doors. LMC seems to have everything, but I have heard they don't always fit well.

Does anyone have recommendations on where to buy quality rubber that fits?

'65 GMC that identifies as a Chevrolet
Sevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:53 AM   #2
cwcarpenter98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevens View Post
Are there any particular YouTube videos or channels that you would recommend?

I plan on keeping my old doors around until the bodywork is complete for that exact reason (just in case I need to cut/weld). Both sets of doors have good glass and I think both sets of vent windows and hardware are in decent shape... I plan to cherry pick the best parts and then sell the windows once I finish "loading" my doors.

When I put the doors together, I want to replace all of the rubber and felt tracks in both doors. LMC seems to have everything, but I have heard they don't always fit well.

Does anyone have recommendations on where to buy quality rubber that fits?
I used Gibson63's videos a lot for just the little bit I've done so far. I also like watching the couple of welding videos that Finnegan's Garage has done. Also, ChrisFix did a great video about welding in a patch panel on a Honda DelSol. Those, with a bunch of practice, helped me have a decent starting point. I would have needed to do a heck of a lot more practice if my friend didn't show me how to do it. I've also picked up a few tips and tricks from other members here. PDXHall has some great pictures on his build thread of the rust repair that he has done. Also some really great work by jrusk.

I am also taking two sets of vent windows and making one good set. I will be using Precision Replacement Parts (prp.com) for my vent window and door glass seals. Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to get all that done yet, but the products look great out of the box. I have heard that PRP is the best, so I'm looking forward to putting all that together on my truck. You can get a better deal through some of the vendors on this site that what you can get ordering direct from PRP's website

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, Muncie 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350 --> Soon to be 350, Saginaw 4 speed

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 01:56 PM   #3
pdxhall

It looks like you have great truck to start with. It's good to see another long bed. You've got a good plan for your build. I started much the same way when I started (years ago) on my truck. I taught my self to weld and I went all the way and did a full frame off. Good luck and I'll be following along.

I've Done So Much, With So Little, For So Long, That Now I Can Do Anything With Nothing.
pdxhall is offline   Reply With Quote