The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-26-2010, 09:36 AM   #1
cheford

Modular drop spindles

I was wondering if anyone on this board has used the new modular spindles that CPP has started to sell. Do they truely move the spindle in the extra 1 1/8" and does it matter that you can't use the dust covers.

Thanks and looking forward to your response, John
cheford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:30 PM   #2
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Re: Modular drop spindles

I just installed a set on my '65 yesterday. Got them because they were out of the standard ones. I got one for a '73-'87 since the PO had used this combo when swapping disc brakes.

From what the guy at CPP told me, most dropped spindles space out the wheel. These actually keep everything located as stock. Take it for what it's worth. I didn't find it moved the wheel in or out over the stock '73+ spndles but earlier years it might.

As for the dust covers, I have had a number of vehicles before without them and never found any issues.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:20 PM   #3
cheford

Thanks for your reply. Has anyone else tried them.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:12 PM   #4
ctrow

I have them installed but not driveable yet. I'll comment in 2012 when I finally get it running.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:54 AM   #5
cheford

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrow View Post
I have them installed but not driveable yet. I'll comment in 2012 when I finally get it running.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
Did you notice if the spindles actually brought the wheel inboard by the 1 1/8" like they claim and were you able to keep the 15" rims without any clearance issues, etc. can you turn the wheels left/ right without it hitting ant of the suspension or steering parts? Thanks again and waiting for your response.
John
Old 10-02-2010, 07:09 PM   #6
cheford

Okay, I bought these new modular spindles from CPP, they do bring the wheel inboard as they claim but the stock outer tie rod doesn't fit in the provided hole, it looks as though the inner tie rod would but haven't tried that to see if it is the correct size.But I know I can't use 4 inners because of the left and right thread difference. I'll have to wait until Monday to call CPP unless someone here has run into this problem and has the answer, anyone?
Question; is there a tie rod that has a smaller taperd shank but still the same size rod to fit into the adjuster coupling.

Last edited by cheford; 10-02-2010 at 07:15 PM.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:54 PM   #7
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheford View Post
Okay, I bought these new modular spindles from CPP, they do bring the wheel inboard as they claim but the stock outer tie rod doesn't fit in the provided hole, it looks as though the inner tie rod would but haven't tried that to see if it is the correct size.But I know I can't use 4 inners because of the left and right thread difference. I'll have to wait until Monday to call CPP unless someone here has run into this problem and has the answer, anyone?
Question; is there a tie rod that has a smaller taperd shank but still the same size rod to fit into the adjuster coupling.
Earlier model drum trucks had the smaller taper tie-rods. What 'year' truck were the spindles ordered for?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:34 AM   #8
cheford

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Earlier model drum trucks had the smaller taper tie-rods. What 'year' truck were the spindles ordered for?
They were ordered for a 1972, can I purchase the earlier tie rod ends to solve my problem?

Last edited by cheford; 10-03-2010 at 08:35 AM.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:35 AM   #9
SCOTI

Quote:
They were ordered for a 1972
Try a 67-70 tie rod.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 10-03-2010, 08:52 AM   #10
cheford

Quote:
Try a 67-70 tie rod.
I'll do that, it will be cheaper than sending this spindles back for an exchange.Thanks, I'll let you know how I make out.
John
Old 10-03-2010, 10:20 PM   #11
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

What year spindle did you order?
67-70, 71-72, or 73-87?

The early 67-70 tie rods have a smaller thread size. (5/8")
The 71-72 and 73-87 are 11/16" thread and the opposite thread direction,... compared to the 67-70 tie rods.
(RH thread vs LH thread)
You will need a conversion sleeve to connect the two together.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823

Last edited by lolife99; 10-03-2010 at 10:21 PM.
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:24 PM   #12
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
What year spindle did you order?
67-70, 71-72, or 73-87?

The early 67-70 tie rods have a smaller thread size. (5/8")
The 71-72 and 73-87 are 11/16" thread and the opposite thread direction,... compared to the 67-70 tie rods.
(RH thread vs LH thread)
You will need a conversion sleeve to connect the two together.
This is why I was wondering if they possibly shipped him spindles intended for a 63-70 vs. the 72 he wanted.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 10-04-2010, 08:21 AM   #13
cheford

Quote:
This is why I was wondering if they possibly shipped him spindles intended for a 63-70 vs. the 72 he wanted.
This is what I believe they did because I did order the 71-72 ( part# CP 30106-3 ) from thier web site. The 2 1/2 " drop spindles that came with the grand slam package I purchased earlier used the same tie rod end as the stock spindles. I ordered the new modular spindles because of clearance issues, now I have other issues, this isn't the first time CPP has sent me the wrong parts and it's a pain and costly one living in Canada.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:41 AM   #14
SCOTI

Quote:
This is what I believe they did because I did order the 71-72 ( part# CP 30106-3 ) from thier web site. The 2 1/2 " drop spindles that came with the grand slam package I purchased earlier used the same tie rod end as the stock spindles. I ordered the new modular spindles because of clearance issues, now I have other issues, this isn't the first time CPP has sent me the wrong parts and it's a pain and costly one living in Canada.
Don't get frustrated (yet) until all the possibilities are verified. If it is a CPP mix-up, get w/Jeff & give him the opportunity to provide a solution.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Last edited by SCOTI; 10-04-2010 at 09:42 AM.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:46 PM   #15
cheford

UPDATE
I talked to CPP today; apparently the 72 grand slam package I previously purchased uses 73-87 hardware. When I ordered the 71-72 modular spindles they use 71-72 hardware which is apparently smaller than the 73-87. So all said and done it turns out that it was my mistake. I was told that if I purchase new outer tie rod ends for the 71-72 all will work out for me. Now I have to wait until tomorrow for my parts store to open as they are closed Mondays. I do appreciate all your help.
John
Old 10-04-2010, 03:27 PM   #16
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Glad you got things figured out. Interesting that they use the later stuff on the grand slam kit versus if you bought all the parts individually, you would buy them for the earlier years if needed.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:56 PM   #17
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy_mike View Post
....Interesting that they use the later stuff on the grand slam kit versus if you bought all the parts individually, you would buy them for the earlier years if needed.
Prob because later model stuff is cheaper (= easier to achieve profits).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 10-07-2010, 03:35 PM   #18
cheford

Okay, my problem has been solved with purchasing new outer tie rod ends for the 71-72 years. I'm out of pocket by another $80 but cheaper than exchanging the spindles. With these new modular spindles I can now turn the wheel without tire rub to my fenders. I'll be able to gain some more when I measure up for rims. Thanks for all the info guys, much appreciated for a happy ending. I still have about another month of recovery from my surgery before I can start wrenching but at least I can rest knowing things are going to work out.
John
Old 10-07-2010, 09:02 PM   #19
SCOTI

Quote:
Okay, my problem has been solved with purchasing new outer tie rod ends for the 71-72 years. I'm out of pocket by another $80 but cheaper than exchanging the spindles. With these new modular spindles I can now turn the wheel without tire rub to my fenders. I'll be able to gain some more when I measure up for rims. Thanks for all the info guys, much appreciated for a happy ending. I still have about another month of recovery from my surgery before I can start wrenching but at least I can rest knowing things are going to work out.
John
Good to hear.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 10-08-2010, 11:31 AM   #20
ctrow

Yes, glad to hear you got things working.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:07 PM   #21
cheford

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrow View Post
Yes, glad to hear you got things working.
Thanks, things aren't working but things have been worked out,lol. The wife is keeping a watchful eye on me right now until my body is completely healed, hopefully within the next month.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:07 PM   #22
SCOTI

Quote:
Thanks, things aren't working but things have been worked out,lol. The wife is keeping a watchful eye on me right now until my body is completely healed, hopefully within the next month.
Dang women.... They're so..... so..... nuturing.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 05-04-2011, 06:40 PM   #23
Slow Build

Just checking to get an update. I'm interested in getting the modular spindles and want to know how they are working out for you or anybody else who is using them. I want to use them with my 6 lug 15” rally wheels. Has anybody used this combo? I was wondering if there were issues on inner wheel clearance or any effect on turning radius.
Past GM Trucks:
1959 GMC short stepside
1968 GMC short stepside-4x4
1973 Chevy short stepside
1989 Chevy short fleetside-reg cab
1993 Chevy short fleetside-Xcab
2002 Chevy short fleetside-Xcab

Save the dinosaurs, use synthetic oil.
Slow Build is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:48 PM   #24
cheford

They have worked out very well for me and have no issues with wheel/tire rubbing. I will also be able to keep the 15" rims but with the lower profile tire P215/75r. They should be fine for you according to CPP's write up on thier web site. My application is very different than everyone on here because of the Ford body I have on a 72 Chev frame, but the modular spindles saved me big time.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:54 PM   #25
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

I can't find a number stamped or casted in them. How do you know if they sent you the correct ones?
Like:
60-62
63-70
71-72
73-87

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote