The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-10-2017, 07:59 PM   #1
cerial

Hotwiring 96 cruise control module

I have a 96 c1500 120" wb, short bed, standard cab, with a 5.0, nv3500 3.42 rear that is mostly stock. It has 269k original on it right now.

I bought the 20 year old truck with the intent of gutting it (drive train also) and going carbureted (stand alone later) with minimal electric.

I will be installing a sm465 behind a big block. One of the few electronic things I would like to keep is the cruise control. I believe I can "hotwire" the cruise control box on a switch letting me have cruise on those long trips. I would use a clutch position sensor to de engerize it as well as a back up de engerize toggle switch if the clutch postion sensor was to fail.

What I am talking about is this box here on the right side of the firewall next to the booster. It has a cable trailing up to the throttle body.

Here is the cable on the left controlling the throttle body position.

Here is the wiring going into the box.

I could build something that would hold the cable. But I have this and if it could be hotwired they are all over junk yards letting me add cheap cruise control to some of my other older rides.

Can anyone provide any info on how this is wired so I am not guessing.
1985 K20 Winter beater
1991 R30(squarebody) c/c flatbed towrig
1994 s10 80"wb custom build
cerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 09:53 AM   #2
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Re: Hotwiring 96 cruise control module

Good luck. The CC was tough to keep operatng in stock form with the ECM/ PCM doing the thinking,

Have you thought out how your going to adapt a pulse generator to the Sm465 speedo cable?

Just throwing this out and it's not a cheap alternative, but Dakota Digital makes a kit that has everything from the pulse generator adapter for the cable,to a new turn signal arm with controls that matches the car. I have one for my 67 El Camino just need to finish the install one of these days.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 09:53 PM   #3
cerial

No pulse anything. It is going to have the electronics of a late 70's c30.

Aftermarket gauges, gps speedometer, switches, and minimal electronics throughout.

All I want to do is hold the position of the cable electronically so that the throttle linkage position remains constant for traveling across long spans of flat ground.

Hitting the clutch or brakes will disrupt the circuit of course. I am alright having the truck's speed wander a bit when traveling through Kansas or East Texas kind of deal.

I imagine there is an lock of sorts in there that holds and releases the cable. If I can wire this to lock that via a switch, already having the cable, box, mounts, and such, it would look clean. If not then I will just make something from scratch.
1985 K20 Winter beater
Old 02-11-2017, 10:38 PM   #4
68c10airstream

If you are using a mechanical speedo cable you might as well go to the 70's cruise system that uses the speedo cable for speed reference. A long cable goes from the trans up to a servo/vacuum assembly bolted to the driver's inner fender and a short cable then goes from this servo assembly up to the dash speedo. This system uses engine vacuum to be controlled through the servo to a diaphragm that uses a bead chain to pull the throttle (on some applications).

Inside the cab has a electrical cut/brake switch and a vacuum dump valve. It uses a normal turn signal lever switch.

If you stay with the gps speedo you can still run the cable up from the trans to the servo, obviously you wouldn't need the short cable.
68c10airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 10:14 AM   #5
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerial View Post
No pulse anything. It is going to have the electronics of a late 70's c30.

Aftermarket gauges, gps speedometer, switches, and minimal electronics throughout.

All I want to do is hold the position of the cable electronically so that the throttle linkage position remains constant for traveling across long spans of flat ground.
So just as a throttle lock, not cruise control??
No idea how you would do that. The CC operated by maintaining SPEED, not RPM or throttle position. I believe you'll find long spans of 'flat' ground are anything but 'flat'. And a throttle lock is going to give you VERY inconsistent speed.

Gotta agree with 68Airstream,, the 70's vacuum controlled CC sounds like your best solution.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 11:11 PM   #6
cerial

This idea is going south fast.

The more I think about it the thing is only going to have a 12-14 gallon tank and get around 6-8mpg. I can stretch my legs at a fill station.

Thanks for the help.
1985 K20 Winter beater
Old 03-11-2017, 07:11 PM   #7
ironroad9c1
Master Hater

Sounds like a waste of time to me..a vortec 350 swap would be better, good fuel economy and as much power as a smoged out big block .
and federally legal too.a carbed big block in one of these trucks really shouldn't pas inspection anywhere in the US.
"This evening, all of you bleeding hearts... why don't just go ahead and hug yourself for the next 20 minutes or so, because there's a really good chance you're gonna be offended".- Captain Owen Honors
ironroad9c1 is offline   Reply With Quote