The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-11-2013, 11:11 AM   #76
1981Stepside

Re: LT1 powered stepper

Thanks guys -
1slo, If you can get the LT1 combo for a good deal, I would say go for it. I would've gone LS if I could have found one up here for less, but the LT is a great second choice. For fuel, I swapped both tanks with 87+ fuel injected tanks and senders for the baffles and used the in-tank pumps for the caprice where the LT1 came from. All the fuel lines got swapped with high pressure fuel injection hose and the hose clamps were changed to fuel injection hose clamps.
The wiring was a pain, but I rewired the whole cab because I had the whole car to strip the harness from. If you're doing just the engine compartment, it's a lot easier to wire up from the firewall forward. Only the temp sensor had to be changed to get an accurate reading on the factory gauges. Having the FSMs for both vehicles to compare for pinouts really helped.

My LT1 Silverado build-up: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=549660

Check out my new YouTube channel! - https://youtube.com/channel/UCXk5mZOQI1sEnu5bIkhe7fA
1981Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:15 PM   #77
1slo_camaro

damn thats the problem..... im trying to figure out how to get around the damn fuel system.... which i doubt is gonna happen. and i dont have FSM for either vehicles, but i could figure my way through with the help of online.....well instead of cluttering your thread I am going to start a thread shortly about swapping a LT1, if you dont mind chiming in when ever i would appreciate it!

1998 Jeep ZJ 4.5 lift 32s full bolt ons awaiting axles

"Life is full of decisions, we make them and dont look back"
1slo_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 01:07 AM   #78
iceship

on the engine frame mounts. .. flipping it and moving it forward really just move the mounts up a inch doesn't it. ..
iceship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:36 PM   #79
1981Stepside

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceship View Post
on the engine frame mounts. .. flipping it and moving it forward really just move the mounts up a inch doesn't it. ..
Are you referring the to the half of the mount that bolts to the frame? If so, no - I didn't have to move that half at all. The clamshell on the engine was too far back to line up with the frame mount. Otherwise, I didn't notice it raising the mount on the engine. The factory LT1 mount was almost the same as the truck one, just upside down.

My LT1 Silverado build-up: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=549660

Check out my new YouTube channel! - https://youtube.com/channel/UCXk5mZOQI1sEnu5bIkhe7fA
1981Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote