The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-28-2014, 11:52 PM   #201
75Dually

Re: 75 Dually build

Small victories... Well I finally got back into the shop after getting my right hand worked on. Darn mesquite thorns! All I have done so far is strip the cowl and get it primed. I also have been doing the finishing work on the tail gate. Should have it completed this week and in it's final coat of primer. As I said small victories...

Next is the passenger side rear fender and the dually fender on that side. That should keep me busy and off the streets...

Stay tuned!
Attached Images

75Dually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:18 PM   #202
75Dually

Sorry guys there have not been any updates lately. Work has been super busy, but it should slow down here in a couple of weeks so I can get back in the shop and tackle the rest of this body work.

Some small updates... I have gotten all the air ride items back on the truck, but have not had time to run the calibration again.

Stay tuned...

Last edited by 75Dually; 09-03-2014 at 09:30 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:37 PM   #203
75Dually

OK so I am now back in the shop working on the truck finally! Work has (thankfully) still been super busy and not slowing down, but I finally took some vacation for some much needed time off.

I have been working on my dirt bikes and my buddies dirt bikes getting ready for riding in Colorado. We just got back last week. We rode up and around Durango for a whole week. Amazing country! See the pics below. Now it is time to get back into the shop...

Tonight I finished up one of the dually fenders (passenger side), and the rear tail gate. So next is the drivers side of the bed. The old dually fender on that side needs lots of attention to get it right. Before we left on our trek I bought a Sata spray gun for the finish work. Man what a fantastic spray gun! Can't wait to shoot the color coats!

I hope to get more updates in the next couple of days and weeks.

Stay tuned...
Attached Images

Old 09-24-2014, 06:06 PM   #204
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Nice body work, and Durango is a nice looking place. I haven't been there, but we have a member on here that lives there and sends me random pics. It's beautiful out there!
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 06:41 PM   #205
75Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Nice body work, and Durango is a nice looking place. I haven't been there, but we have a member on here that lives there and sends me random pics. It's beautiful out there!
Thanks man! Yeah it was so nice up there, but glad to be home and working on the truck.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:48 PM   #206
slimneverdies

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75Dually View Post
Karl,

TW&T did all my work as you know. They are really great to work with! If I remember it right Trevor charged me $125 per wheel for the machining from 22.5" to 22". He cuts the inner surface where the bead sits. I also got the rear 4 rims face milled 3/8". That gave me the correct dimensions to tuck the rear with stock fenders. That was $75 or $100 per wheel for the face milling, for some reason I can't remember the exact cost on that. Maybe I am suffering from CRS... Can't Remember Stuff!
Darn!!! I thought I read on duallyscene that you didn't have to do anything to fit the semis because you have the 3/4 ton rear. Did you absolutely have to have that 3/8" milled off ???
slimneverdies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 10:28 PM   #207
75Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimneverdies View Post
Darn!!! I thought I read on duallyscene that you didn't have to do anything to fit the semis because you have the 3/4 ton rear. Did you absolutely have to have that 3/8" milled off ???
The short answer is yes. Without the 3/8" milled off they would not have fit tucked under stock fenders. It was either modify the fenders or have TWT mill them. In the end it was much cheaper for Trevor to do the milling than mod the fenders... Hope that helps.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:49 AM   #208
Ghostwhite
Squarebody guy

Quote:
The short answer is yes. Without the 3/8" milled off they would not have fit tucked under stock fenders. It was either modify the fenders or have TWT mill them. In the end it was much cheaper for Trevor to do the milling than mod the fenders... Hope that helps.
Ok, to briefly recap you are using a 3/4 SRW 14 bolt and had TWandT machine 3/8 off both back wheels from the face. Face being where they mount together and not the lip?

I just picked up a SRW 14b and was going to slap on my Dually hubs(reweld backing plates) and make it C&C width but if I can clear without then that would be more clearance between the frame and inner wheel lip for bags and bars. It would also make swapping to discs easier.

Your build is looking good as always.
Ghostwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 11:14 PM   #209
75Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostwhite View Post
Ok, to briefly recap you are using a 3/4 SRW 14 bolt and had TWandT machine 3/8 off both back wheels from the face. Face being where they mount together and not the lip?

I just picked up a SRW 14b and was going to slap on my Dually hubs(reweld backing plates) and make it C&C width but if I can clear without then that would be more clearance between the frame and inner wheel lip for bags and bars. It would also make swapping to discs easier.

Your build is looking good as always.
Thanks brother! You should be good to go with the setup you listed above. Post some pics as you progress, or better yet start a build page so we can all see your progress. Send me the link if you do that...
Old 09-25-2014, 11:15 PM   #210
75Dually

So I am starting round 2! Got the drivers side on the table. Had to get all the water out of the shop first, we had 3" in 1 hour last night! Holy cow! So the shop got some leakage under the main door, and I got the job to clean it all up... Them's the breaks.

I also was looking through Craigslist last night and saw a guy parting out a square single cab. So after work today I went by and picked up this tailgate for $40 bucks. OK I know I just finished my other one, but I really wanted the version with the stainless trim across the rear, and this one was in pretty good shape. So I will pull it off and metal work it back into better shape. Then all I have to due to the blue tailgate is sand it down, primer it, and then shoot some color. Easy right!

If the weather permits I will get the drivers side all torn down and the gas hole welded up. Then I can get on that fender and knock this side out.

Stay tuned!
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2014, 10:52 PM   #211
75Dually

After all the Honey-do's today I got into the shop and with the help of my son we tore down the drivers side. Once we got the dually fender off I stripped all the trim off and then welded up all the holes. I also made a plate to cover up the old fuel outlet and welded it in place, and I welded up all the holes someone had made in the bed rail too. After that I cleaned up all the welds and then metal worked them in preparation for the body filler. Lots of clanging and banging in the shop today, glad my neighbors are so cool...

Not a bad way to spend a Saturday afternoon!

Next is the dually fender, which was in better shape than I originally thought. Time to clean it up and get some primer on it.
Attached Images

Old 10-07-2014, 11:19 PM   #212
75Dually

A little bit of progress here and there. Been working on the drivers side body work tonight. Just a couple of spots to clean up, and then I will shoot it's first coat of primer.

Next is the dually fender... Glad it is cooling down some.
Attached Images

Old 10-08-2014, 12:06 AM   #213
rwade

Looking good, keep at it! Cooler weather is definitely a motivator.

Wade
rwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 10:39 AM   #214
75Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwade View Post
Looking good, keep at it! Cooler weather is definitely a motivator.

Wade
Wade you got that right. I appreciate the encouragement!
Old 10-17-2014, 10:27 PM   #215
75Dually

Well I actually got something accomplished today on the truck. I was having a heck of a time trying to get the Accuair to calibrate. The tech guys at Accuair are super to work with by the way. The problem I was having was that I was starting the calibration when the truck was completely on the ground air'd out. So with some trial and error we figured out that I needed to start the sequence with it at ride height, and it did the trick. Now it is up and fully running, THANKS Shea at Accuair, you're the best!

Now I can get onto the body work... Hope to have all the rear bed parts in primer by tomorrow night.

Last edited by 75Dually; 10-17-2014 at 10:54 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:31 AM   #216
75Dually

Worked on a couple of things tonight. I started on the drivers side dually fender. Got some of the body work on it completed. I still have a lot of the small chip holes from stones being thrown at it over the years, but I think I am going to throw my first coat of primer on it first so I can see all of them clearly.

I also needed to rework the inner fenders. I did not like the first Bondo layer I threw down on either of them, so I cleaned it all out and started fresh. I still have some spots that need some body filler, and some tin canning on the side wall to get rid of before I lay down the bed spray coating on them.

Stay tuned...
Attached Images

Old 11-04-2014, 12:24 AM   #217
75Dually

Some real progress this weekend. Got a first coat of primer on the drivers side rear fender and the dually fender. I did a second coat on the passenger side as well. Now to work out all the small flaws...

Above the drivers fender is the inner fender with it's first coat of bed liner. One more coat and it should look good enough to install. Now to get the other side done...

At least I got some time this past weekend to work on it.

Stay tuned!
Attached Images

Old 11-04-2014, 01:58 AM   #218
slimneverdies

Quote:
Some real progress this weekend. Got a first coat of primer on the drivers side rear fender and the dually fender. I did a second coat on the passenger side as well. Now to work out all the small flaws...

Above the drivers fender is the inner fender with it's first coat of bed liner. One more coat and it should look good enough to install. Now to get the other side done...

At least I got some time this past weekend to work on it.

Stay tuned!
Mighty fine work there buddy. So are you painting the dually fender on the panel?
slimneverdies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:45 AM   #219
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

Looks good!

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 10:16 AM   #220
75Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimneverdies View Post
Mighty fine work there buddy. So are you painting the dually fender on the panel?
Thanks man! No I had the dually fenders on last night to check the fitment and the gap between the dually fender and the fender. So I thought while I had them on there I would snap some pics for the forum.
Old 12-06-2014, 03:53 PM   #221
75Dually

Just to give everyone an update, my mother was hurt a couple of weeks ago and I have put all the projects on hold until she gets better. You can replace cars and trucks, but not mom!

My hope is to occasionally go out and get some small items done here and there. I guess my new target is going to be the Lone Star throwdown early next year.

Stay tuned!
Old 12-06-2014, 07:00 PM   #222
Low Elco

Hope your mom gets better!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 11:10 PM   #223
75Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Hope your mom gets better!
Thanks so much! Very kind!
Old 12-07-2014, 04:04 AM   #224
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Take care of your mom! The truck will wait for ya!
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 07:37 PM   #225
75Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Take care of your mom! The truck will wait for ya!
You got that right! Thanks man!