The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-20-2013, 09:19 PM   #26
SuperC10Tex

Re: Crate Engine?

ATK Crate Engines......anybody used them? Summit Racing has them....

"An intellectual is a man who takes more words than necessary to tell more than he knows"
SuperC10Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:56 AM   #27
54belair

Ive not used ATK---but, I researched their products a couple years ago planning on using one of their engines. They appear to be a good choice. My plans changed at that time so I didnt buy one.
1966 chevelle ss

Dont always go the cheapest route--You can save yourself into the poorhouse!
My Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489030
54belair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:31 AM   #28
CC69Rat

With 110% respect, .. are you set on the option of a crate engine? The reason I'm asking is maybe an iron block LS swap ? In the $4,000+ range I would think you could pull it off and have a bit better gas mileage? .. just a thought.

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:07 PM   #29
leftybass209

Those numbers you are coming up with are ridiculous. 4k is too much. Think about it, if that exact same motor can be purchased for 1200, with free shipping, your paying 3000 for a th350. I don't know about you, but a th350 is antiquated compared to what 3k will get you for a tranny. Where in Texas are you, cause it sounds like someone is trying to give you the longhorn?
Posted via Mobile Device
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #30
chevy72blu

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC69Rat View Post
With 110% respect, .. are you set on the option of a crate engine? The reason I'm asking is maybe an iron block LS swap ? In the $4,000+ range I would think you could pull it off and have a bit better gas mileage? .. just a thought.

I agree with this. I finished my LS1 swap for around 6k including having an LS swap shop do much of the work. If you are looking at 5k + (with labor), the LS swap may make sense even if you perform none of the work yourself.

As much as I love old carbed motors, the driveability, reliability, power, and gas mileage is unparalleled with a modern engine.

'72 C20 SWB convert. 5 lug, LS1/4l60e
chevy72blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:52 PM   #31
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

I agree, and have already stated that its very high price, but the items to complete a crate engine and trans install do add up to a bit of coin. It's not like the guy above said, where he's getting a 1400 dollar engine and a 3000 dollar transmission. He's getting a complete engine from air cleaner down, front to back.
Posted via Mobile Device
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:11 PM   #32
leftybass209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
I agree, and have already stated that its very high price, but the items to complete a crate engine and trans install do add up to a bit of coin. It's not like the guy above said, where he's getting a 1400 dollar engine and a 3000 dollar transmission. He's getting a complete engine from air cleaner down, front to back.
Posted via Mobile Device
With all due respect, I've done the swap. The engine listed and spec'd out is a GM 260hp 350 stating nothing about carb, pulleys, alternator or power steering if needed. Black and white print states the price of the engine. That is not including the labor the OP was quoted at around 1000. This is not a case of getting what you pay for, its watching how much you pay for what you get.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-21-2013, 01:20 PM   #33
Tx Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftybass209 View Post
Those numbers you are coming up with are ridiculous. 4k is too much. Think about it, if that exact same motor can be purchased for 1200, with free shipping, your paying 3000 for a th350. I don't know about you, but a th350 is antiquated compared to what 3k will get you for a tranny. Where in Texas are you, cause it sounds like someone is trying to give you the longhorn?
Posted via Mobile Device
And with all due respect to you, I have literally installed hundreds of crate engines, both at the dealership and when doing fleet maintenance and at my own shop.

You quoted 1200 for a crate engine. Fine. Then you said he was paying 3000 for a turbo 350.

Go back and re-read the guys post. He's not just buying a crate engine and a th350. He's getting a ready to run assembly. Those 1200 dollar crate engines you're talking about don't include intake, carburetor, flex plate, air cleaner and all of that. It's got a long list of included items to complete the long block into a turn key engine.

I'm not saying its a bargain or even reasonably priced, but its not out of reach for all he's getting.

I'm willing to concede that I might be missing something here to make us see it so differently.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Tx Firefighter; 05-21-2013 at 01:32 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:32 PM   #34
leftybass209

Well then agree to disagree. My transmission quote had just a touch or sarcasm that followed, which I can't fault anyone but myself for not understanding. Turnkey motors have been purchased for less. I wasn't alone in my thought that this may be an expensive price. Its great for the OP to see your comment, and all others on this post. Should certainly fuel him to seek out the best deal possible.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-21-2013, 01:42 PM   #35
Tx Firefighter

My concern is the quality of what he's getting.

We all know a crate engine is 1400 delivered from Jegs or wherever. I'd want to spend my money getting quality parts. Notice the intake manifold doesn't list a brand. I'd bet its a Chinese Edelbrock knock off. I'm sure the starter and distributor are typical Skip White type Chinese stuff too.

I'd bet if you took that money and shopped carefully you could assemble a top of the line assembly with Delco, Edelbrock, Felrpo and other top shelf components. It would be a wash on price in the end but you'd have better stuff.

If I was on a computer and not an iPad I'd go to Summit and run up a list to see where the price would fall for the best parts on the market.

As far as the transmission, I can see you were being extreme to illustrate your point. I use probably one of the highest priced transmission shops anywhere. I have for years. I don't mind paying for the quality they deliver. They get about 1400 bucks for a turbo 350. Yep. I said that. 1400. Thats about twice the price or more that most shops charge. They are spectacular though. They build transmissions for the big boys. Treypanier, Boyd, etc..

http://www.phoenixtrans.com/GM_Transmissions.html
Old 05-21-2013, 02:08 PM   #36
leftybass209

I completely agree with you on both accounts, being the Chinese stuff and the transmission. 1500 is a sturdy price for a tranny, but Phoenix builds faultless ones.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-22-2013, 05:04 AM   #37
SuperC10Tex

Okay, I hear you guys!!! I need the help....below is the the engine I am leaning towards (replacing the original 350, th350 tranny). You guys please "build" it from here...what tranny, carb, fuel pump, water pump, distributor.....and so on. I am not trying to build a street rod and I want everything to bolt right into place (no adding or cutting my 72). Please give me links and prices, or the name and web locations for the needed parts to complete(summit, jegs...). I want the best parts for the money spent!! You guys seem to know more about this than me, and this should be fun to see what you guys come up with!! Thanks!

SBC 350cid 300HP Crate Engine = $1899 + FREE Shipping

This is a great entry level replacement engine for older cars and trucks, and a great basic street rod engine. All of the parts in this engine are Brand New. Includes 1 year unlimited mileage parts replacement warranty.

Specifications:
Power: 300 HP @5300 RPM, 356 ft. lbs. of torque @ 3700 RPM
Displacement: 350 CID, 5.7L
Bore x Stroke: 4.00” x 3.48”
Compression Ratio: 8.5:1
Recommended Fuel: 87 Octane
Block: Cast Iron, 2 piece rear seal, 4-bolt main caps
Crankshaft: Nodular Iron
Connecting Rods: Powdered Metal Steel
Pistons: Cast Aluminum
Camshaft: Hydraulic Flat Tappet
Cam Lift: .443” Intake / .465” exhaust
Cam Duration @ .050”: 214 deg. Intake / 224 deg. Exhaust
Lobe Separation: 112 Degree
Cylinder Heads: Cast Iron, 3/8” pressed in rocker studs
Combustion Chamber: 76cc
Valves: .194” Intake/ 1.50” Exhaust
Rocker Arms: Stamped Steel, 1.5:1 Ratio
Valve Springs:3911068
Balance: Internal
Maximum GM Recommended RPM: 5300
Ignition Timing: Base 10 degrees BTDC, 32 degrees total

Cylinder Head Notes: 7 Bolt style Exhaust Flange Standard, 85' and prior intake manifold bolt pattern. Perimeter bolt style Valve Covers. This head is very similar to the old #882 castings from the 1970's.

Engine Includes:
• Fully GM assembled long block
• Stamped steel OE valve covers
• Edelbrock Performer EPS Intake Manifold
• Oil pump, pick-up and oil pan
• Front timing cover
• 6” & 8” timing pointers for use with 2 O’clock mark balancers
• Block is drilled for drivers and/or passenger side oil dipsticks, plugs are included to plug unused dipstick tube hole.

Warranty:
Limited 1 year / Unlimited mileage parts only warranty.

"An intellectual is a man who takes more words than necessary to tell more than he knows"
SuperC10Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:34 PM   #38
71STPSDE

I say get the engine above without the intake for $1819. Get this combo from Summit for these crate motors. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cm...make/chevrolet Here is the ignition system you could also get. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-csum2210 Then you'll need fuel pump, spark plugs, water pump and water neck for the intake. Hope this helps. So for under $2800 you can get everything.