The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-05-2013, 06:42 PM   #1
Lattimer

Cost of paint job

What is the going rate for a good paint job on one of our trucks? Mine is going to need some minor dent repairs, cab corners replaced, and a single color (white--original color) paint job. Truck has no bondo that I can find, but was poorly painted at some point. Looks like a Maaco job

I haven't gone for estimates yet, but just curious what others have paid for a quality job.

I'm probably anywhere from 6-18 months away from painting the truck, and the cost might determine how far away that really is.

1970 Chevy C-10 SWB, 350, TKO 600 5 speed
My build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559881
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:47 PM   #2
Graham57a

Re: Cost of paint job

It depends on how detailed you get. I did all the rust repair on my truck and only needed filler around patched sheet metal. It cost me 2000 for rough in body work and epoxy, 1250 in jamming everything, and I was quoted 2500 for final exterior paint. Hope this helps
Posted via Mobile Device

1972 Chevy SWB Cheyenne Super JANE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=462072
1972 GMC Jimmy PENNY http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=735827
1968 GMC patina swb PEARL http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=731315
1972 Chevy K20 BRUCE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805788
1972 Chevy SWB Highlander OLIVE Build thread coming
Graham57a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:51 PM   #3
Lattimer

Good to know. As far as I can see the only rust repair on the exterior is the cab corners. I was going to do them myself (even bought the patch pieces), but I decided my skills are not quite good enough for that. I'm working on floorboards and rockers now, which will have the cab in good shape, and I have 2 minor spots inside the bed. Everything else is really good and solid, which is why I bought the truck.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:19 PM   #4
wgeyer88

I just got several quotes to have my truck painted. I had somebody do all the rust repair on my truck (sandblasted) so the body shop would get the cab in epoxy primer ready to paint. They would have to paint everything including the inside of the fenders and under the hood.

Quotes were anywhere from 5k to 15k for painting inside and outside. Some shops wanted 4k just for the material and then another 10k to paint the truck. The lowest quote I got was 5k including materials. The guy said not to expect much. That would only be them painting one coat of primer, a quick block, single stage paint, no finishing work after.

Needless to say, I decided to paint my truck myself. My dad and I have painted a Jeep in our garage before and it wasn't very difficult. I don't want to spend 5k for a crappy paint job... Hope the shops are cheaper where you live!

1970 CST10 SWB LQ4/4L80E
2004 Silverado (sold)
2007.5 Dodge Ram 2500
wgeyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:38 PM   #5
1967wannabe

From bubble gum to hookers and everything in between (including paint jobs), you get what you pay for.

If we did your truck at our shop, including all the metal work, the cost would be $7000(ish)
1967wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:40 PM   #6
Lee H

This question usually gets lots of responses. Many factors, type of primer and paint, location, city or county, inside of cab or just exterior, door jambs, dings, dents, rust, how much disassembly has to be done, and the most important factor, your expectations of the end result. The bill for just primer and paint, materials only, for my recently completed build was $2,400.
Posted via Mobile Device

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:48 PM   #7
Lattimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967wannabe View Post
From bubble gum to hookers and everything in between (including paint jobs), you get what you pay for.

If we did your truck at our shop, including all the metal work, the cost would be $7000(ish)
Good to know. I assumed somewhere north of $5k, but have never dealt with a full re-paint before.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 02-05-2013, 07:50 PM   #8
Lattimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgeyer88 View Post
I just got several quotes to have my truck painted. I had somebody do all the rust repair on my truck (sandblasted) so the body shop would get the cab in epoxy primer ready to paint. They would have to paint everything including the inside of the fenders and under the hood.

Quotes were anywhere from 5k to 15k for painting inside and outside. Some shops wanted 4k just for the material and then another 10k to paint the truck. The lowest quote I got was 5k including materials. The guy said not to expect much. That would only be them painting one coat of primer, a quick block, single stage paint, no finishing work after.

Needless to say, I decided to paint my truck myself. My dad and I have painted a Jeep in our garage before and it wasn't very difficult. I don't want to spend 5k for a crappy paint job... Hope the shops are cheaper where you live!
I painted a car myself once when I was about 19. Had help from my dad and an experienced body guy. Looked ok when we were done, but I will never go through that again.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 02-05-2013, 08:04 PM   #9
TBONE1964
Cluster King

I stopped painting cars on the side because when you quote 5 to 7K for a complete job and color change, you got a look like you were born on mars. The material alone these days is crazy expensive. To do a color change or even same color quality job takes a lot of labor.

You need to consider what it is worth. It is not easy to drive something that you spent $10,000 to have painted and worry about rock chips all the time.
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:25 PM   #10
68bowtie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBONE1964 View Post
You need to consider what it is worth. It is not easy to drive something that you spent $10,000 to have painted and worry about rock chips all the time.
so true!!!

Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh)
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:38 PM   #11
chevy88

I was quoted 7500 for paint job and had already welded in all the rust repair panels, plus 1/3 of all the body work was done. So now I have decided to finish it myself for that price.
Posted via Mobile Device

My build thread.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=3657823
1971 Chev SWB with 68 nose, 6.2 diesel th350, and 3.73 rear gears
1988 Chev Extendacab
2010 Honda VT1300CS Sabre
2005 Buick Rendezvous wife's ride
chevy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:05 PM   #12
69Rumbler

I spent 1200 on the primer and body work ... Some guy I know dose my work and hooks me up caz I take him cars to work on ... And he said 3000 to paint it
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-05-2013, 10:14 PM   #13
Mister-B
Account Suspended

After seeing these prices, it's no wonder patina is cool, given the state of the economy. Plus, it IS nice to be able to use the truck as a truck, and not worry so much about the paint (although I still try. I just snapped this at the car wash today)

Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:31 PM   #14
Square_78

Replace and or refinish all the trim, bumpers, mirrors, exterior light, grill etc and leave the paint alone. Get some nice wheels and do the interior. That will cost you less than half the price of paint and your truck will look awesome.

"I refuse to go disc brakes. I actually love drum brakes. It makes for an adventure." - 50bomb

1978 Chevy shop truck - static 6/8"
1970 GMC 1500 - Accuair eLevel Resto-mod http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=537497
Square_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:44 PM   #15
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Square_78 View Post
Replace and or refinish all the trim, bumpers, mirrors, exterior light, grill etc and leave the paint alone. Get some nice wheels and do the interior. That will cost you less than half the price of paint and your truck will look awesome.
So true. It'll need all that stuff, whether it gets painted or not. You'll have a blast buying and restoring these small parts.

Also, a good power wash, followed by a CLR bath, might get rid of the Earl Scheib crap, and expose the original paint/patina
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-05-2013, 10:44 PM   #16
Lattimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Square_78 View Post

I'm already most of the way through all of that, or I at least have the parts and whatnot. New bumpers at both ends, interior will get done completely once the floorboards are finished next weekend (already did the dash and seat, doors are next), etc. Got it running and driving decent, aftermarket a/c installed, etc. Wheels and tires will come later as it has decent wheels and very good tires on it now. Doing suspension and steering a piece at a time over the next few months. Still have a pile of parts to install, mirrors, window seals, etc. I have a better grill that I am going to restore and swap when its warm enough outside to work on it (no oven cleaner in the garage---too close to the motorcycle...LOL)

My last step will be exterior paint, partly because of cost and partly because all the other stuff is more important to having a fun, drivable truck.

I personally HATE the "patina" look, and I will not leave this truck in the condition its in. It will be painted when I get to where I can afford it. I'm not concerned about how much I have to put into the truck, just working out how long I need to save to get it done.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:45 PM   #17
Lattimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister-B View Post
So true. It'll need all that stuff, whether it gets painted or not. You'll have a blast buying and restoring these small parts.

Also, a good power wash, followed by a CLR bath, might get rid of the Earl Scheib crap, and expose the original paint/patina
Posted via Mobile Device
Its chipped to the primer all over. Looks like hell once you get within 10 feet.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:48 PM   #18
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lattimer View Post
I'm already most of the way through all of that, or I at least have the parts and whatnot. New bumpers at both ends, interior will get done completely once the floorboards are finished next weekend (already did the dash and seat, doors are next), etc. Got it running and driving decent, aftermarket a/c installed, etc. Wheels and tires will come later as it has decent wheels and very good tires on it now. Doing suspension and steering a piece at a time over the next few months. Still have a pile of parts to install, mirrors, window seals, etc. I have a better grill that I am going to restore and swap when its warm enough outside to work on it (no oven cleaner in the garage---too close to the motorcycle...LOL)

My last step will be exterior paint, partly because of cost and partly because all the other stuff is more important to having a fun, drivable truck.

I personally HATE the "patina" look, and I will not leave this truck in the condition its in. It will be painted when I get to where I can afford it. I'm not concerned about how much I have to put into the truck, just working out how long I need to save to get it done.
Well, to each his own. When I got my truck, I was hellbent on painting it. I had to ask what this "patina" word meant. Now, I get it and it has really grown on me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-05-2013, 10:49 PM   #19
ole dollor

i did mine my self, and i am no body man and about a 1/2 bad painter...mine ran about $250.00 in money and lots of hours in labor. mine is not now and will never be a show truck. but its good enough for me and mine....i guess it depends on what you are wanting, and what you want to spend...have fun with it....
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:49 PM   #20
weever82

I agree with you Shawn. I love the look of a beautifully painted truck. Save up and get it done. My truck will be painted shortly as well but wouldn't mind another patina one in the yard!

Life's tough...... It's even tougher when your stupid - John Wayne
weever82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:56 PM   #21
Lattimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ole dollor View Post
i did mine my self, and i am no body man and about a 1/2 bad painter...mine ran about $250.00 in money and lots of hours in labor. mine is not now and will never be a show truck. but its good enough for me and mine....i guess it depends on what you are wanting, and what you want to spend...have fun with it....
I've tried painting before, and anything past a rattle can is a guaranteed disaster in my hands. A man should know his limits.

Plus, I really can't do something like that in my garage. The truck barely fits as it is, and I can't be spraying paint all over everything with my bike in there and everything else.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:59 PM   #22
Lattimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister-B View Post
Well, to each his own. When I got my truck, I was hellbent on painting it. I had to ask what this "patina" word meant. Now, I get it and it has really grown on me.
Posted via Mobile Device
If it had a weather worn faded dry climate original paint shop-truck look, I could see leaving it that way. I do understand the attraction. Not my preference, but I understand it.

Instead, it has a $189 Maaco paint job after following a gravel truck for 200 miles look.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:00 PM   #23
ole dollor

Shawn my shop is like yours, i painted mine in the drive way....so i did not paint everything in the garage yellow and white.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:02 PM   #24
Lattimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ole dollor View Post
Shawn my shop is like yours, i painted mine in the drive way....so i did not paint everything in the garage yellow and white.
Where I live I would be in jail for that. I get away with a lot because I'm big and scary looking and my cop friends are here to lift weights all the time (1500 square foot gym in the basement), but if I started shooting a whole car in the driveway the neighbors would go nuts.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:08 PM   #25
ole dollor

oh.... well here where i live all you have to worry about is people mowing their lawn and bugs getting in the paint. while you are painting...LOL