The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-19-2003, 03:56 AM   #1
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

do i have a bad brake booster?

i've noticed a few things with my 91 K1500 lately. the brakes seem to be grabbing evenly, and it doesnt pull either direction when they are applied. i am however experiencing a low pedal. today, i applied the brakes (while it was raining) and the pedal pulsated pretty violently as it went towards the floor. it stopped just fine, but made a hideous noise along with the pulsation. i've also noticed that if i step on the brake pedal before i start the engine i hear what appears to be some sort of a vac leak. if i dont step on the pedal before i start the engine its fine. anybody got any ideas what my problem may be? i'm all sorts of confuzzled here.
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 11:28 AM   #2
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Pulsating pedal is usually warper front rotors.

Hideous noise? Where is it coming from?

The deal with the pedal hissing before start up is normal.
Old 11-19-2003, 01:45 PM   #3
SWEET7T
Try spinnin 4 rear tars

Re: do i have a bad brake booster?

Quote:
Originally posted by 1FaastC10
...today, i applied the brakes (while it was raining) and the pedal pulsated pretty violently as it went towards the floor. it stopped just fine, but made a hideous noise along with the pulsation.
That sounds like the ABS was doing its job. The noise is from the system opening and closing really fast, to keep your tires from locking up and causes your pedal to pulsate. I olny say the ABS because you said it was raining, and of course causing the road to be more slick.
Under light braking, if you still feel pulsating or a wobble through your steering wheel, your rotors are warped and you need to get them 'turned'.

Quote:
i've also noticed that if i step on the brake pedal before i start the engine i hear what appears to be some sort of a vac leak. if i dont step on the pedal before i start the engine its fine. anybody got any ideas what my problem may be? i'm all sorts of confuzzled here.
That little sucking noise is normal. I can push really hard on the pedal in our vac brake trucks and they do the same thing.
Old 11-19-2003, 03:29 PM   #4
loweredd
www.loweredd.com

wouldnt a bad booster be super hard to push though, indicating a leak? (it would be like manual brakes, or worse?)
loweredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 08:52 PM   #5
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

i'm well aware of the ABS pulsation, and this was significantly more violent than that. the noise was more of a creaking noise than anything, and followed the pulsation of the pedal. it sounded as if it were coming from the pedal area, under the dash. i tried to recreate the circumstances in a parking lot, and it wouldnt do it again. my 82 did this to me one time too. just went away and didnt have any ill effects after that. on a note with the warped rotors, if that's what was causing this, i would feel it all the time. it only made the noise/vibration one time. everything else feels good except the low pedal.
Old 11-20-2003, 02:08 AM   #6
SWEET7T
Try spinnin 4 rear tars

Try driving on the same part of road again..... Maybe it was rippled in one area and when you hit the brakes, your tires kinda skipped across the road. Just a thought
Old 11-20-2003, 03:49 AM   #7
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

i'll have to try that.