The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-13-2012, 03:28 PM   #1
tubbedII
needs more $$$

B's 70 2wd Blazer

Don't know if my Blazer deserves a build thread since I'm not doing anything real drastically cool, but I wanted somewhere to track my progress so I figured this was the best place for it. I bought it in July 2010 and this is what it looked like when the day I got it.

It already had the 67/8 nose, 5 lug conversion and a 4/6 drop. It has a center bolt style 350 with TH350 combo. No real engine/drivetrain upgrades, but that was fine because I was looking for something that just was cool to ride in. The best part was that there was almost no rust.
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2012, 03:47 PM   #2
no moa

Re: B's 70 2wd Blazer

Awesome!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=451950

1971 c10 step 250 3 OTT

1969 c30 TOW-MATER. 307 4 speed, holmes 440 body.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=451082

2006 CTS-V LS2 6spd.
no moa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:47 PM   #3
tubbedII
needs more $$$

I got it home and just drove it for a couple of days until the battery died which let me know the alternator wasn't wired right. The outside was decent, but the interior was VERY rough. It had buckets and a bench, but the gauges didn't work, it had a floor shifter with a column shifter, no carpet, no door panels and it was a couple different colors.
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2012, 03:54 PM   #4
tubbedII
needs more $$$

You can see in the pics the 1st thing I started was installing a painless wiring kit. I also scavanged some parts from my bro's C10 to clean up the inside. I scuffed most of the red of the dash and shot it with a dark metalic grey rattle can. I hit the door panels and arm rests up with black. I'm not going for a show car, so until it actually hits the paint booth, this is going to be just fine for me.

I also got an ignition key since it didn't have one when I bought it, so no more popping the hood and touching wires to start it!!!
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2012, 03:58 PM   #5
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Next was to clean up the gauge cluster and get them all working. I got a new bezel and lense, and painted the indicators with a flourecent red. I chose red instead of orange just because I liked the look better. I never took a pic of it installed, but here's the before and after shot.

After getting a speedo cable and a oil pressure sending unit, all the gauges worked with the exception of the gas...
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2012, 04:05 PM   #6
tubbedII
needs more $$$

The tank wasn't attached in the stock location...it was actually sitting in the tub behind the bench, so I called up Boyd's and had a nice aluminum tank sent out...after installing it and wiring, the gas gauge finally worked too!

The actual plumbing of the filler neck was a chore though...it was over a year ago, but I remember running a T off the vent for a motorcyle check valve to allow the pressure to release as well as a one going back up to the neck for filling. Also, the filler neck off the truck and to the tank were different sizes, so I had to use reducers to get it all to work. It all seems to be ok because I can fill up the tank at the pump without any overflow issues!

Sorry...never took any pics of the tank installed...
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2012, 04:06 PM   #7
tubbedII
needs more $$$

I only had the blazer for about a month at this time, so it was time to clean her up and have some fun...so I just drover her around like this through the end of the warm season.
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2012, 04:15 PM   #8
tubbedII
needs more $$$

During the winter, it was time for a suspension change...Airbags!!! I picked up 4 DOM 2600's for all corners, a set up ***************** (now QAR) bag plates and cups for the front and a CPP bolt in notch off the board. The blazer already had a super track bar on it and I took my bro's 2" blocks. During the enire bag process, I didn't take any pictures, but it's nothing special, just bags in place of coils.

For the valves, I used 8 1/2" valves and all 1/2" line. I only used this because it too was free from my brother's left overs, so I put a set of flow controls going to all 4 corners so I can adjust the speed to my liking.

Since there was no where to put the tank under the tub, I decided to build an enclosure for the valves which would also serve a spot to mount the tank and compressor.
1st pic is the valves inside the enclosure and the rest are with it put together and in place. It's now covered in black carpet, and the top hinges for not so easy access to the valves. I still liked how it came out though.
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2012, 04:18 PM   #9
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Oh yeah, I also POR-15'd the inside of the tub and installed a black carpet kit...The only pics I have on my PC right now are filthy, so I'll get some better ones up later. I also sprayed the white bench with black vinyl dye...the upholstry is trash, but at least all 3 seats are the same color.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:21 PM   #10
tubbedII
needs more $$$

I needed a spot for the air gauges, so I decided to take out the heater control and put the gauges there. It's not an exactly perfect fit, but it's really close and the area flexes enought for them to fit. I used the bracket off the factory control and bent a piece of sheet metal with holes in it for the mount. I still haven't ran the lines or painted this part yet, so here's where the gauges are going to go...you just have to use your imagination that you can't actually see through around them...haha
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2012, 04:28 PM   #11
tubbedII
needs more $$$

During the bag process, I found a set of 22's that fit my price range and bolt pattern so I picked them up and finshed the bag job...the only problem was the offset on the rear caused the tires to rub on both side's inner wells. I picked up some 1" spacers to fix that issue.

The 1st pick is hopefully my ride height, and the rest are full dump...the 22's really keep it off the ground...

The other pic shos that I finally got some chrome trim around the holes in the front and the rear pieces so I could mount my clear turns!
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2012, 04:32 PM   #12
tubbedII
needs more $$$

After that there were lingering issues with the air ride such as a ton of leaks, sticky switches and what not, so I spent a lot of time trying to fix them all. I then ended up moving. I tried driving the Blazer to the new house, but this when I noticed the rubbing of the wheels and had to have the tow truck take me the rest of the way...here's pics of it in the parking lot waiting for the tow truck. It was the only time I had driven it with the top on.
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2012, 04:37 PM   #13
tubbedII
needs more $$$

I moved in March of 2011, and decided it was time to go through everything and clean up the engine bay...this turned into that snow ball effect where the whole front end came off and I haven't driven it since...

But, I got it all cleaned up and painted while also having some help of my son and scray gaurd dog.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:48 PM   #14
tubbedII
needs more $$$

During this whole tear down, there was A LOT that needed to be done, but unfortunately, not may pictures were taken.

With only having 1 compressor, the fill time was way too slow for my likings, so I put together a York 210 I got out of a Volvo, and am using that a EDC. The downfall for me is that I do not have a welder and cannot weld, so I'm stuck with looking for bolt in parts. I found a bracket for the york online for a SBC from a 4x4 guy. Bad part was, it it the master cylinder. I then had to swap out the master/booster for another that had a bracket which moved it about an inch higher.

The brake lines on the ride were basically just there to get the truck sold, so all new lines were purchased as well as new tranny lines to the radiator. I put new TA bushings in the rear and rebuilt the rear drums while cleaning it all up.

That pretty much gets me up to speed where I am today. There's other things, but I'll snap some pics in the day light so I can post them as well.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:52 PM   #15
PHAT TONY

'Bout time we see more of this than that 1 1/4X1 1/2 avatar pic! I ain't even gonna say how SLOW mine fills gas with the marker light mod; glad yours worked out with a different tank. Factory wheel studs in the rear? I'd like spacers to push the back wheels out a bit, not interested in changing studs though. I kinda like having the top on actually, and yes, I put miles on without it. Looks good; get 'er together an DRIVE IT!!
1970 Chevrolet C/10-Sold
1968 GMC 4X4-Project
1968 Chevrolet C/10 Pro Street
1970 GMC 3/4 Ton-Parts
1997 2WD 2DR Yukon-Sweet
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=335664
PHAT TONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:10 PM   #16
matthew79

Hellz yeah!!

Man, once you put on the 22's it went to a whole new level of awesomeness!!!

Last edited by matthew79; 01-13-2012 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Added another exclamation point to "awesomeness "
matthew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:21 AM   #17
JOHNORO
oldschoolblazer@yahoo.com

I am gonna keep and eye on this one..
JOHNORO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 03:16 PM   #18
C/10 King

Nothing like going "topless"!!!!!
1971 Short Fleet
1970 Jimmy Custom 2 WD "Golden Ticket"
1972 Blazer 2 WD "Retro Blaze"
C/10 King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:03 PM   #19
bigblock68

looking good....mine was going to be a driver,then the nose came off..might as well pull the body...bought another frame and 2 years later it was done.this all looks familiar!!
bigblock68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:57 PM   #20
jmedero

Loo. Ahhh the snow ball..... He and I are on daily speaking terms. Lol.
It looks good man.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-14-2012, 11:02 PM   #21
Heavy Evy
born to lose

Awesome rig!

'67 Chevy Belair Wagon 283 Powerglide
'68 Chevy II Nova 2 door 350 TH400 Sold!!
'71 Chevy C20 350 TH350
'71 Chevy C10 Burb 350 TH350 stolen totalled gone....

Burb Build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=475155

Nova Build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=498979

Wagon Build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=543052

Not giving a truck.
Heavy Evy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:03 PM   #22
VA72C10
VA72C10

Looking great! Glad to see a build thread on it!
Old 01-17-2012, 12:06 AM   #23
YBNORML

Looking sharp, looks like you got a real good start on things. I really like the wheels, a nice simple 5-star is always a winner in my book.

68’ GMC shortbox
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=794201

72' 2WD Blazer
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=425385

67' LongBox C-10
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=691845

InstaGram ybnorml67
YBNORML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:52 AM   #24
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAT TONY View Post
'Bout time we see more of this than that 1 1/4X1 1/2 avatar pic! I ain't even gonna say how SLOW mine fills gas with the marker light mod; glad yours worked out with a different tank. Factory wheel studs in the rear? I'd like spacers to push the back wheels out a bit, not interested in changing studs though. I kinda like having the top on actually, and yes, I put miles on without it. Looks good; get 'er together an DRIVE IT!!
The studs are factory, but I'm using a 1" spacer that bolts to the stock studs and has separate studs to mount the wheel too that are aluminum off ebay. I was real lucky by going with the 1" instead of anything bigger because I had to cut the outter well out and roll the lip to clear the 9.5" wheel with 295/40's. The attached pic shows what they look like on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew79 View Post
Hellz yeah!!

Man, once you put on the 22's it went to a whole new level of awesomeness!!!
Thanks Matt! Love the edit reason.. Really, they weren't my 1st choice or even ever a wheel I wanted, but at $600 with decent tires, I felt like they worked. I actually wish I would have kept the 17" rally wheels just to swap once in a while, but oh well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by C/10 King View Post
Nothing like going "topless"!!!!!
The whole reason I looked so long for a 2wd blazer was for the full topless effect, and loved driving it that way last summer. Funny thing is, seeing pics of it with the top on makes me love it both ways and a little more with the top on. I'll still have no top in the warm weather cuz it just feels dam cool...it's my 1st "convertible".

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblock68 View Post
looking good....mine was going to be a driver,then the nose came off..might as well pull the body...bought another frame and 2 years later it was done.this all looks familiar!!
Good thing it only took 2 years! That's actually not too bad...it's been almost a year and I'm just doing simple stuff. This is my 1st project I'm doing all on my own though, so I feel like I'm learning all over again and taking 5 times longer to do things than it should. Having a great time though, when I'm not pulling my hair out...haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmedero View Post
Loo. Ahhh the snow ball..... He and I are on daily speaking terms. Lol.
It looks good man.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks jmedero...and thanks again for the c-notches...I got them from ya a long time ago and they worked out great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Evy View Post
Awesome rig!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
Looking great! Glad to see a build thread on it!
Thanks you two! I can't believe it took me this long to start one...oh well, better late than never!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YBNORML View Post
Looking sharp, looks like you got a real good start on things. I really like the wheels, a nice simple 5-star is always a winner in my book.
The wheels look good in the pics, but honestly, they aren't great. They are the cheapo's you find at the corner wheel shop...spray on chrome and all. Up close they aren't smooth, but like I said, they fit the budget and give it a decent wow effect. My original goal that fit the budget was the Boss 335's which I still may swap to some day, but might actually save up for an even better wheel once it's painted.
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2012, 03:12 AM   #25
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Got a little work done this weekend. It was one of those 1 step forward, 2 steps back though. I decided to ditch the box I made to free up some real estate behind the rear bench for future subs and hopefully be able to put an ice chest and some chairs. It was hard to do because I was really proud of the box and the wiring, not to mention the amount of hours I had into it. Oh well...guess it comes with the territory...

I moved the valves to under the tub and mounted them to the floor of the tub rather than the frame. I chose this since my valves were pretty bulky with the 4 way T and the mounts really didn't fit on the frame well enough. Also, mounting them this way allowed me to not have to buy different fittings. I did blow them all apart and used Parker's hyrdo thread sealant on the threads. I had a slow leak and couldn't find it with the box since I couldn't open it with air in the system.

The pics show the mounting locations.
Attached Images