The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-28-2018, 09:00 PM   #1
Mattchu60

Mixed bag parts run - new ideas and random thoughts inside

I ran 200 miles to grab some parts this weekend - I have been looking hard for some nice fenders for my 87'. Ad came up that a guy has a rust free cab, fenders, doors, hood and core support. I jumped on it, he wanted to sell it all as a lot - no splitting up.

I went and got the parts - results are a mixed bag - I either did well or not well at all (can't decide).

I got 1) a really really nice rust-free cab in primer - but its for a 2wd truck (i have a 4x4 which does need rockers and cab corners bad) - so this cab doesn't really help me. But its really nice! I did know it was a 2wd cab when I went to pickup - I just figured I could resell it.

2) The fenders are in great shape - then I unloaded them and noticed something - there are no emblem holes - I realize these are from a post-88 blazer without emblems from the factory!- then I see the passenger fender has a factory antenna mount. So I ended up with a really nice drivers side fender, and a passenger fender I can't use unless I want to weld up the antenna hole and both need holes drilled for emblems - the drilling isn't a major issue but just annoys me.

3) The hood - looks great! But again- I found its got a front emblem mounting hole - don't want that either.

4) core support - super nice - no rust! But its a for a single headlight truck, not dual's like I run. Bummer.

5) The doors - the big disappointment. Are they from texas? Yes! Is there any rust? No! - they are rust free! Are they full of little dents everywhere and someones failed attempt to fill in the mirror mounting holes leaving a mess of bondo - Yes! I can work with them but they need some serious TLC to get in nice condition, but I'll get them there.

So I realized later that while I got some really clean, rust free parts - I can hardly use anything!

Then the wheels start spinning in my head - and now I want to build a 2wd short box C10 using the cab I got.

The more I look at pictures of the short beds, the more I want the 73-80 front clip look - the 2 tone colors look really good on that body style. The cab is from an 80s truck - I believe the clips will interchange but I almost feel its wrong to mix the two styles together - anyone that looks inside would know its an 80s truck cab with the 70s sheet metal. Also I figure if I wanted to sell it at some point it could really hurt the value by mixing the two eras together. What do you guys think?

Does anyone know if people look for these passenger side antenna fenders or the hoods with the emblem holes? Maybe I should just fill these in and move forward with them?

Overall I feel like I did well, just got some parts I really can't use. I may have passed it up, but I drove 200 miles each way and didnt want to go home empty.

Last edited by Mattchu60; 01-28-2018 at 09:05 PM.
Mattchu60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:05 AM   #2
CSHADES

Re: Mixed bag parts run - new ideas and random thoughts inside

I don't understand why you cant use the cab? The only real difference between the 2 is the floor hump which is easily fixed. You can put the 70's front on but you need a complete front. The holes missing in the fender is easy to take care of and so is everything else.
CSHADES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 12:00 PM   #3
Mattchu60

Re: Mixed bag parts run - new ideas and random thoughts inside

I probably could get the cab to work if I wanted to - but I really don't need the cab that bad - mine needs rockers and cab corners bad, but I think i'll just cut them out and replace - it was sold as a lot so I had to buy it all. I really was after the fenders and the doors. After seeing how nice the cab I've been thinking it could be the start of a nice 2nd truck.
Mattchu60 is offline   Reply With Quote