The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-09-2017, 06:24 PM   #1
1Ratty64

Need help identifying this power steering conversion

So i need a little help here because i haven't seen one like this before. All of the power steering conversions i've ran across require the steering shaft to be shortened, but yet mine isn't. The steering box setup is about the only thing i haven't changed since i picked up the truck and i'm kind of at a loss. You can see how low the box sits in the front and i actually get occasional sway bar contact with it. The drag link is perfectly level and completely centered....it is extremely close to the engine crossmember but doesn't contact anywhere in travel. No problems with alignment, driving etc..etc..etc...Just wondering if any of you guys recognize the conversion bracket & frame stiffener used and can maybe shine some light on what pitman arm was used and if this box is indeed one for a 74-87 truck. Thanks.
Attached Images

1Ratty64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 06:25 PM   #2
1Ratty64

Re: Need help identifying this power steering conversion

Continued
Attached Images

Old 11-09-2017, 06:42 PM   #3
The Rocknrod

There should be numbers cast into the box, those will tell you. Also how high off the top of the POL tubular lower a-arms are sway bars mounted? Nothing in the steering mechanisms hit? So it it looks good to me, I've seen them on eBay but I personally don't know who made the plates.
Also I believe the 74-87 boxes used o-ring fittings in the fittings at the box instead of flare, you might check there and that will tell you something.

Last edited by The Rocknrod; 11-09-2017 at 06:50 PM.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:58 PM   #4
1Ratty64

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
There should be numbers cast into the box, those will tell you. Also how high off the top of the POL tubular lower a-arms are sway bars mounted? Nothing in the steering mechanisms hit? So it it looks good to me, I've seen them on eBay but I personally don't know who made the plates.
Also I believe the 74-87 boxes used o-ring fittings in the fittings at the box instead of flare, you might check there and that will tell you something.
Thats right, i had a brain fart.....this box has flares. I remember getting the power steering lines for a 72 c10 and having to do some bends to the lines to get them to work. The sway bar uses stubby end links on the pol angle mounts.....really terrible setup and honestly if i could do it over again i would have went CPP. I was just really curious as to the setup because the steering shaft hasn't been cut, didn't know if someone hack jobbed it and just got lucky with everything lining up or if there really was a kit floating around out there that leaves the shaft in tact. I honestly have to do something with the sway bar though.....even though its only had light contact, it's not right.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:03 PM   #5
The Rocknrod

Do you have the stand-offs installed on the frame for the sway bar?
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:49 PM   #6
1Ratty64

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
Do you have the stand-offs installed on the frame for the sway bar?
Yes, one is visible in one of the pictures. The POL sway bar and attachment points on the lower control arm actually pushed the sway bar about 3 inches forward of where the stand offs would normally be located. If the front of the bar could actually be in the stock location then i would more than likely not have an interference issue with the gear box since the pivot area would be located almost directly under the gear box. It pretty much boils down to a combination of the power steering conversion kit used and the craptastic way POL mounts the sway bar to the LCA's. Had the previous owner used a kit that required the steering shaft to be cut with the later model gear box, then the gear box would be more flush with the bottom of the frame rail and not an interference problem. Vice versa, if POL had spent a little more time R&D'ing, then a stock style sway bar could have been used and avoided the problem also. Expensive lesson but i am probably going to end up ditching the POL setup and go with CPP control arms and sway bar.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:32 AM   #7
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

There is no way to properly upgrade to power steering without shortening the original steering column shaft. That steering box adapter plate kit is what is sold by everyone except me. They do not keep the steering box in line with the steering column.....I don't know why. I make my own that keeps the steering box in line with the steering column.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 01:28 AM   #8
1Ratty64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
There is no way to properly upgrade to power steering without shortening the original steering column shaft. That steering box adapter plate kit is what is sold by everyone except me. They do not keep the steering box in line with the steering column.....I don't know why. I make my own that keeps the steering box in line with the steering column.
This misalignment is one of the things i noticed when i picked up the truck that made me think that maybe it was just originally installed incorrectly, but after checking the geometry of the drag link i kinda of just dismissed the thought. This is my first 64-66 with power steering, all the others had manual boxes, so i haven't spent that much time researching the topic. I just know from all the pictures i have seen so far, the steering shaft has been shortened. If your kit will position the gear box properly, then i may pick one up from you and just buy a replacement box. The holes have been drilled out and its developed a slight leak at the worm shaft any way. Thanks.