The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-21-2019, 12:17 PM   #1
jp2240

New door skins

I've had the doors media blasted in side and out, painted the inside of the doors and the skins with pour 15. Now what I'm wondering is should I tack weld the skin to the frame when I get it positioned , or is clamping g enough? I worry about moving the two when I fold the edges over. Thanks for any advice or tips on this process.
jp2240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 01:28 PM   #2
MP&C

Re: New door skins

What I've done in the past is to media blast inside and out, to include the inner door. Before assembly, the adjacent parts are scuffed where the inner door touches the outer skin for the next application once assembled (if outside cure window). Once door panel is installed on the inner door, it gets installed onto the vehicle in case any twisting or tweaking is needed to better align to the body. Once aligned, add a few tack welds to hold things in place, then we mixed more epoxy, and using a turkey baster, epoxy was flowed inside the door at the window opening that it would seal the two panels together around the entire inner perimeter seam for much less chance of rust return than the original.

I would say that you did well to media blast while the door was apart, most do not go into that level of rust prevention. I personally would not have used any POR15 products at that point, though. Epoxy primer is hands down better at prevention of rust creep, where POR products will cover up rust but does not perform as well to prevent rust creep. Rust can continue to form and grow under POR despite the hype..