The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-13-2014, 09:11 PM   #1
Arl37

ThinK I lost a part of My steering linkage and need help

I had the steering column rebuilt for my 69 C10 with a 700r4. Pretty much have it installed but I think I lost the part of the shift linkage that secures the shift rod to the lever at the bottom of the column. All I have to secure the shift rod to the lever is the bolt pictured below and the nut for it. If I just slip the bolt over the shift rod and attach the bolt to the lever on the bottom of the steering column there will be nothing to keep the bolt from just sliding up or down the shift rod when I move the gear selector. I think I have lost some kind of a c bracket that tightens on the rod when I tighten the nut on the bolt. I have looked at all the after market parts catalogues and the Factory Assembly Manual and cant find any picture of how the rod is attached to the lever. If anyone has a picture of how the rod is attached please post it. At least I can see what I have lost if my assumption I lost something is correct. Name:  ading and shift nut 036.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  24.3 KB.
Arl37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:59 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: ThinK I lost a part of My steering linkage and need help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arl37 View Post
I had the steering column rebuilt for my 69 C10 with a 700r4. Pretty much have it installed but I think I lost the part of the shift linkage that secures the shift rod to the lever at the bottom of the column. All I have to secure the shift rod to the lever is the bolt pictured below and the nut for it. If I just slip the bolt over the shift rod and attach the bolt to the lever on the bottom of the steering column there will be nothing to keep the bolt from just sliding up or down the shift rod when I move the gear selector. I think I have lost some kind of a c bracket that tightens on the rod when I tighten the nut on the bolt. I have looked at all the after market parts catalogues and the Factory Assembly Manual and cant find any picture of how the rod is attached to the lever. If anyone has a picture of how the rod is attached please post it. At least I can see what I have lost if my assumption I lost something is correct.

Yes, you are missing the metal cup, washer, & lock washer that clamps against the shift rod. I will see if I can find a picture.

Edit: Here is a picture. It is a metal cup with notches that fits around the rod. it just puts pressure on the rod so it can't move.

LockDoc
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 03-13-2014 at 10:21 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:04 PM   #3
Arl37

Thanks so much for your help. Now all I have to do is figure out how to make one or where to find one.
Arl37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:06 AM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arl37 View Post
Thanks so much for your help. Now all I have to do is figure out how to make one or where to find one.

It might be a little hard to make. Check on the parts board and see if you can spot someone parting a truck out.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:27 AM   #5
hugger6933

There was a part that was pretty much the same on the 88-98 chevy trucks. In fact the whole piece could be subbed out for the old one if need be. jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:03 AM   #6
chiefcfd

You could use this setup.

http://lokar.carshopinc.com/product_.../33571/ACA1800.
chiefcfd is offline   Reply With Quote