The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-11-2017, 12:29 AM   #11
Black_Sheep

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

[quote=evilokc;7987815]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Sheep View Post
Both

I wouldn't really call it damage, but the firewall had 28 assorted holes ranging in size from 1/4" to over an inch. None were needed anymore because the battery is relocated under the cab, the wiring is hidden, etc... Smoothing the firewall was an easy way to lose the holes and save hours of finish work vs. plugging and welding everything. Plus, I like the look...[/QUOT

are you worried about rust? I'm not familiar with the bonding agent you used so when I saw that you didn't cut and weld my mind immediately went to future hidden rust. is the bonding agent a metal?
There is no rust whatsoever and according to 3M the panel bond completely seals out moisture. I ground the contact area to bare metal, applied the panel bond then used a plastic spreader to make sure all of the bare metal was completely covered before putting the panels in place per 3M's instructions. After it's painted I will probably spray cavity wax in the voids to ensure rust will not form. Here's a short how to video from 3M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1S3iv9v874
Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote