The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-17-2018, 04:22 PM   #1
71c10longbed

71 Long bed build - orange crush

I figured I should start a build thread even though I am three years into it.

It is an orange and white 71 c10 custom deluxe long bed. 350 with 3 speed on the column.

Some history on the truck. My father in law purchased it new in 1971 and was his daily driver until the mid-90's. It then became an extra truck for anyone in the family to use. Somewhere around 2005 the q-jet carb started leaking and the truck sat for 11 years. My mother in law called me and said they were donating it unless I wanted it. One carb rebuild kit, a set of points, some fresh gas and weekend later I was driving it to my house. That may have been the most harrowing 12 miles I have ever driven. Ball joints and brakes were non-existent. The exhaust was completely rusted out. It was burning oil at an alarming rate. And during the 11 years it sat, it became a very nice home for rodents. You know what likes rodents?? Snakes...one very big black snake made an appearance through the passenger kick panel vent.

Since then I have redone the front end, brakes, brake lines, new tires and rallye wheels, ujoints, mid-ship bearing, slight engine overhaul. My goal was to get it mechanically sound, repair the driver rocker panel rust and get it to paint, then interior. Tackling the driver side rocker opened a rusty can of worms that I am still working on. Inner, outer rockers on both sides, some floor patches, cowl patches, interior roof patches, cab corners are all in various state of progress. I will start posting pictures of my work.

Attached is a picture in my garage on the lift and in various stages of disassembly.
Attached Images

71c10longbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 05:46 PM   #2
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

Re: 71 Long bed build - orange crush

Welcome to the board and the build process. You will find that they come apart much quicker than they go together. It's great you saved her.
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote