The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-09-2011, 03:04 PM   #1
timpage

Leaf spring questions?

Im pretty new to understanding "leaf spring tech" lol. I have some questions to figure out what I have though. My truck: 1987 Chevy V-10 with stock springs front and back plus an add-a-leaf front and back added by a prior owner(questions will deal with the rear, so have 6 leafs total in the back w/ the add a leaf).

I've learned enough off the internet to be dangerous, but not enough to understand what I'm after.

My questions: What are the rear leaf spring specs supposed to be? I ended up with a set of springs I got for free. The length and pin location are the same as my truck (52 inch main leaf length, centered pin, 2 1/2 inches wide). However, this pack has 7 leafs, and an approx. 6 1/2 inch free arch. There is no info stamped or painted on these springs to know brand, if they are lift springs, or what they are for officially. I am wondering IF I were to mount these springs on my Chevy, would they lift it in the back, and if so approx. how much? Im not really looking to lift my truck much more than the inch or two I get from the add a leafs, would be more interested in slightly more load capacity with the 7 leafs vs. my current 6. Hope this makes sense lol.

Anybody have some insight for me?
Thanks,
Tim
timpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:10 AM   #2
Psycho71

Re: Leaf spring questions?

Lots of variables here. Maybe posting a few pics of the old and new springs would help?

If a hammer doesn't fix it, you have an electrical problem!

Slot Cars, 1:24 Scale, 100MPH@100,000RPM, fastest things on wheels!
Psycho71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 11:39 PM   #3
timpage

I will try to get pictures in the next day or two. Will be hard to compare the two sets in some ways. The 'freebie' pair that I'm unsure about aren't mounted to anything. My current springs are mounted on my Chevy. But can get pictures to help in some way or another.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:39 PM   #4
timpage

I have a couple pictures to start with of the freebie springs to get a start on figureing out what these springs are, one photo of one of the front springs and a picture of the rear freebie spring packs.
Attached Images

Old 07-11-2011, 04:44 PM   #5
timpage

Here is a picture of the drivers side rear spring pack that is currently on the rear of my truck.
Attached Images

Old 07-11-2011, 08:32 PM   #6
Monty

if you go to http://www.generalspringkc.com/ and dig around a little, it will have specs for your springs
Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:46 AM   #7
timpage

Thanks Monty,

I have checked General Springs website before. It did answer some questions but didn't really answer my core question. I'm basically trying to find out if these "freebie" rear springs are lift springs or stock springs or?????? The spring websites I have visited give basic specs for stock springs, but dont give specs on lift springs (other than how much lift they give....). I guess I don't quite know how to ask what I am looking for lol.