The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-11-2011, 05:19 PM   #1
metal chevy

Question Body Lift Questions

Hey guys. I just bought an 82 3/4 ton and it has a 3" body lift on it. I am going to be taking it off and I wanna know what all is entailed. Im not a newb to wrenchin, I installed and removed my lift on my Jeep Cherokee but I've never dealt with a body lift. Any advice would be helpful.

After the body lift is gone I plan on installing a Rough Country 4" suspension lift. I had good experiences with them when I had my Jeep. Anyone have their kit?
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
metal chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:14 PM   #2
Chevy1TonFun
Grease Monkey

Re: Body Lift Questions

The only thing with the body lift is that you'll need original size hardware to replace the longer hardware from the body lift.
FOR SALE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/c...ton-4x4&cat=12
Chevy1TonFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:10 PM   #3
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

There is more to it than that...

Depending upon what transmission you have (stick or automatic) you will need to address different things.
An automatic will have an extension piece welded into the shift linkage, which will have to be cut out and rewelded, or you could just replace it with a stock unit.
Similarly, there is an extension in the clutch linkage of a manual trans truck. The same methods can be used to remedy that.
There is probably an extension piece of tubing in the fuel filler hose too. Sometimes leaving that in can kink the hose enough to make for slow filling
Another thing to look for is in the wires. When they get some "slack" you have to watch for pinching.
Many times the bottom half of the fan shroud is removed to clear the fan....it's a good idea to put that back too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:46 AM   #4
Chevy1TonFun
Grease Monkey

Aw crap I forgot about that. My bad. Thank you longhair.
FOR SALE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/c...ton-4x4&cat=12
Chevy1TonFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:41 PM   #5
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

No problem, it not exactly fair...I used to work in a 4x4 shop. I have installed hundreds of them. At one point I had it down to a point of being able to install one in about 2 hours, by myself.
It did help to have a few of the more common shift or clutch linkages already welded up though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 05:24 PM   #6
metal chevy

So it basically sounds like a pain in the ass to put back to stock height..lol. The hardware part should be easy, just buy the same size bolts but 3" shorter. Shift linkage shouldnt be too bad I guess, just a pain to do.
Posted via Mobile Device
metal chevy is offline   Reply With Quote