The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-12-2011, 03:12 PM   #1
almostaranch2001

1968 power steering upgrade questions

Hi all

We just purchased 1968 chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 all original. The truck is for my daughter and the first upgrade we would like to do to the truck is power steering. She will not be able to drive it the way it is right now. I have not had a chance to check all of the knuckles or the steering box yet to see why it is so difficult to turn. The question i have is there a powersteering replacement box for this truck? It has the steering box with the pitman arm on the side of the box and I have not seen a PS box in this configuration before. It may be best to upgrade to a newer front end with Disk brakes and then I should be able to use a newer PS box as well. Thoughts and suggestions welcomed
almostaranch2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:15 PM   #2
Todersauce

Re: 1968 power steering upgrade questions

Hello I have been working on my 68 k20 for over a year and I started doing the same thing "just a power steering conversion." I found a axle set on craigs list a Dana 44 open knuckle disc brake front and 14BFF for out back, out of a 78 3/4 ton and used them. I rebuilt the front with a guide some one posted here and added disc brakes after rebuilding the back 14B. Nothing has been easy and the guys at napa know me and my truck because Im in there about 3 times a week. If you have a dana 44 closed knuckle drum brake front end like I did you can find a repalcement open knuckle disk brake axle cheaper then converting. It is a direct bolt in stronger tubes and better brakes I found 2 dana 44's for about $100 each.
The power steering gear box has a pitman arm on the bottom the manual has the pitman arm on the side or at least mine did. I think the power version are all the same from 70 through 80's. if you have the original 327 you may have issues with mounting a pump on your block I had a hard time finding the pump bracket and crank pulley because im cheap. But they are out there. Most everyting I used for my upgrade came from Napa. Most of the gear boxes and axle parts were made by Dana or saginaw for years and didnt change much from year to year or so i was told. I wish I could say upgrading is worth it but I havent driven my truck upgraded yet. I hope it is!
This isnt very specific but it might start you in the right direction.
Todersauce is offline   Reply With Quote