The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-21-2019, 02:23 PM   #1
1957 Chief

NW AR/SW MO Road trip

Folks, my son and I will be taking a road trip in my 1949 this weekend/early next week up to NW Arkansas and southwest Missouri. Its al all stock truck and we wont be in any hurry. This will be our last adventure before he starts his adventure of being in the USAF, in less than 2 weeks.

If any of yall are from around those parts, Id love to meet you. Also If I get in a pinch I wont turn down a lending hand.

If any of yall are around lemme know and I can PM you my contact info. We will be in the truck in the pic.

Thanks

Bubba
Attached Images

1957 Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 02:33 PM   #2
mongocanfly

Re: NW AR/SW MO Road trip

Sounds like a fun trip...hope the weather works out for ya......
And a huge thanks to your son for his upcoming service..

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2013 GMC Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 02:55 PM   #3
67C10Step

Have a great trip fellow Beebe resident. Thank your son for his upcoming set upcoming service.
Old 10-26-2019, 10:59 PM   #4
1957 Chief

Well, we waited for the rain to clear out today, and as soon as the clouds lifted we were on our way. Took 6 hours to make a normal 3-hour trip. We had no agenda, just had to be somewhere tonight. We switched up driving every hour and had a great time. The truck performed flawlessly and I just love the overdrive unit in the hills. We went 174 miles and averaged 18mpg on the trip so far. We got a ton of thumbs up along they way.

More to follow tomorrow.

Bubba
Attached Images

Old 10-27-2019, 09:41 AM   #5
67C10Step

Cool beans. If I saw that rig rolling down the road it would get a thumbs up from me for certain!
Old 10-27-2019, 10:46 AM   #6
Boog
Senior moment

That's a dern good looking stock AD Bubba. Great idea for a road trip with your son before he heads off.
All GM..'nuff said,
Member of Jr Nation 88

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 10:29 PM   #7
1957 Chief

Well had a great day again with the truck. It started right up this moning in the 40 degree weather. Prolly the first time the truck has slept outside in decades.... My son has almost exclusively been driving the truck. He made a comment earlier that, "he didn't know it was so fun to drive an old truck with three on a tree, and an overdrive." He is becoming very good at driving and knowing when to start braking, letting the truck go into overdrive, or leaving it off, and cornering. He even asked me if he could pick up his girl and take her to eat in the truck.... hmmm, "we will have to think about that Chris."

Anyways we set up a fallen hero memorial in Rogers, Arkansas today. We run a non-profit honoring fallen heroes and the families that are left behind. JB Hunt is one of our bigger sponsors and we enjoy coming up here and setting the memorial up. Had a huge turn out and lots of families. If you get a chance check out www.arkansasrunforthefallen.org

Also my good buddy from JB Hunt brought his big rig out today and words escape me on how nice it is and what all it honors.

Tomorrow we wil be up eary to hit the MTB trails at Hobbs State park. Then we will head back home.
Attached Images

Old 10-27-2019, 11:37 PM   #8
mongocanfly

Sounds like yall had a good trip...

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2013 GMC Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 08:28 PM   #9
1957 Chief

Well, the last day of the trip. We started out this am driving out to Hobbs State Park to hit the MTB trails. We had a good ride until my son broke his bottom bracket on his bike. So we had to cut the ride short. Jumped in the ole '49 and hit highway 23 south...AKA the Pig Trail. We had a blast driving the backroads and I decided that I will upgrade to disc brakes before we take another road trip.

A lady flagged us down and said she just had to take some pics of the truck. It was filthy, but at that point, we didn't care.

Went about 540 miles in the truck, added one quart of oil, and we hovered around 17-18mpg. Zero mechanical issues that I am aware of. Also relized that I need to remove some padding from the seat. My grand father was a little shorter than I am, so its a little hard to lean over and look under the sunvisor.

We made it home this afternoon and unloaded. We will wash him up tomorrow and put him to bed for a few days.

Anyway...pics are below.
Attached Images

Old 10-28-2019, 10:49 PM   #10
LockDoc
The Original Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1957 Chief View Post
Well, the last day of the trip. We started out this am driving out to Hobbs State Park to hit the MTB trails. We had a good ride until my son broke his bottom bracket on his bike. So we had to cut the ride short. Jumped in the ole '49 and hit highway 23 south...AKA the Pig Trail. We had a blast driving the backroads and I decided that I will upgrade to disc brakes before we take another road trip.

A lady flagged us down and said she just had to take some pics of the truck. It was filthy, but at that point, we didn't care.

Went about 540 miles in the truck, added one quart of oil, and we hovered around 17-18mpg. Zero mechanical issues that I am aware of. Also relized that I need to remove some padding from the seat. My grand father was a little shorter than I am, so its a little hard to lean over and look under the sunvisor.

We made it home this afternoon and unloaded. We will wash him up tomorrow and put him to bed for a few days.

Anyway...pics are below.

Great trip and story. Thanks for letting us ride along. Also thanks for honoring the vets and families. Good on you guys.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 11:05 PM   #11
davischevy

Wow, I missed the whole thing. I was out of town until Saturday night and just now getting caught up.

Looks like you had a great trip. I see you stopped at Turner Bend. We ride ATV's/UTV's just north of there. If you get back that way, try out the Oark Café. That is some good eatin'.

If you get back up this way again, holler at me.

I always read my wife's horoscope to see what kind of day I'm going to have.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 10:08 AM   #12
1957 Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by davischevy View Post
Wow, I missed the whole thing. I was out of town until Saturday night and just now getting caught up.

Looks like you had a great trip. I see you stopped at Turner Bend. We ride ATV's/UTV's just north of there. If you get back that way, try out the Oark Café. That is some good eatin'.

If you get back up this way again, holler at me.
Funny you mention it, we did eat at the Oark Cafe. Burgers were delicious.

Bubba
Old 10-30-2019, 11:29 AM   #13
davischevy

If you had a glass of water at Oark, it came out of bull shoals lake. We ran the water system off the mountain from Fallsville.

I always read my wife's horoscope to see what kind of day I'm going to have.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 02:53 PM   #14
cypressbog
Go Pack Go!

What a neat trip for you and your soon to be Military Son!
cypressbog is offline   Reply With Quote