The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-21-2002, 12:12 AM   #1
Reumster
L.E.D. Freak

Post Food for though on your SSN # READ you may not know this

Under the "TITLE 5 of the US Code Annotated 552(a) "The Privacy Act"

There are only 4 reasons you MUST provide SSN

1 For Tax Matters
2. To recieve public assistance
3. To obtain of use a drivers license
4 To register a motor vehicle

It states "(A)actual damages sustained by the individual as a result of the refusal or failure, but in no case shall a person entitled to recovery recieve lessthan the sum of $1000.00;and(B)the cost of the action togetherwith reasonable attorney fees as determined by the court."

Tip next time a Credit Card calls or sends you a preapproved card and asks for your Social tell them, no and when they refuse to give you it. Boom! Got em!

You can thank me latter

------------------
1972 2wd Blazer, 350/700R4/3:73 posi/NOS. Power is nothing without control!
(406)675-8082
or Joel @ jmcwaters@eps-corp.net

1972 2wd Blazer, 350/700R4/3:73 posi, err & Custom L.E.D. inserts! LOL
Reumster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 01:40 AM   #2
O'l Buck
Recovering Truck Driver

nice to know!!

------------------
'72 Chevy 1/2T 4x4 shortbox stepside 350/350auto on '84
ralleys and 31/10.5s

67 Cutlass convertible
330, 3spd stick

90 GMC Jimmy
350/auto
Chad Stephens
Orleans,NE

Chad
South Central Nebraska
O'l Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 08:18 AM   #3
bobs409
1969 Custom 30 wrecker

Question

I don't recall ever having to give my SSN for registering a vehicle. ??

------------------
63 Impala*66 Chevelle SS*69 Chevelle*69 C10 Stepside*71 Cheyenne 20*72 Chevelle

Parts for sale:
http://www.angelfire.com/trek/mr409/items4sale.html

63 Impala 283/PG/3.36 (under restoration)
66 Impala 327/PG/3.36
66 Chevelle SS 409/M22/3.55
69 Chevelle 307/PG/3.08 (future restoration)
69 C10 short stepside 454/TH350/3.73
69 Custom 30 tow truck 350/4 spd/4.10 (resto done, CRUISIN TIME!)
71 Cheyenne 20 fleetside 350/4 spd/4.10
71 Chevelle 6/PG/3.08
72 Chevelle 454/M21/4.10
bobs409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 08:38 AM   #4
lux hauler
Psycho-billy Member

Hey Reumster.....where did you get that info?
I'd like to look into that further....looks kinda interesting.
Is that a House or Senate bill?

Support your community, support yourself. Buy local, buy American (or Canadian).
lux hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 08:51 AM   #5
Reumster
L.E.D. Freak

My dad is a buff on the stuff you might say, about peoples true constitional rights, and how our government hides, these true rights, and tries to make there own laws that the people that are suppost to run this country didn't agree to. Thats you! if you would like to know. The government isn't supposted to run this country the people are. Did you know that according to the Constition the government is not supposted to own land? True story! Did you know that they eliminated the 14th amendment? ( I think thats it) Also did you know that the Constition also states that driving is a right, not a priveledge! And did you also know that you can obtain a International Drivers lisense that they can't take away from you? It's true, Believe it or not!

------------------
(406)675-8082

Old 03-21-2002, 10:30 AM   #6
Fast68Chevy
Account Suspended

Reumster, i want to look into this further also, what part and then subtitle/title/chapter/subchapter in section 5 is that section 552(a) in ?
I want to see what else there is in that title and chapter, this can get interesting !

bobs409, they write down your number off your drivers license, if its not on there hten theyll ask you for it, they have to put the number of the owner of the vehicle on the form at the office.Unless your state is just different from most others.

this one is interesting, heh:
http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/49/80501.htm

[This message has been edited by Fast68Chevy (edited March 21, 2002).]
Fast68Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 10:32 AM   #7
Fast68Chevy
Account Suspended

http://www.warroom.com/privacy_act.htm

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...he+Privacy+Act

Fast68Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 02:37 PM   #8
Maximum Overdrive
December 21, 2012

Question

While I have read the constitution a few times and various books on the constitution and the revolution I do have a question.

Reumster-- Where at in the constitution does it say anything about driving being a right or a privlage or anything about an international drivers license?

On the ssn# thing while there are only certain cases that you must provide your number as stated it is completely legal for anyone or any business to refuse to do business with you unless you provide it to them if they use it in their business.

[This message has been edited by Maximum Overdrive (edited March 21, 2002).]
Old 03-21-2002, 02:56 PM   #9
lux hauler
Psycho-billy Member

Here it is......complete:

PRIVACY ACT
Title 5 U.S. Code Annotated 552

Courts have ruled: Right of privacy is a personal right designed to protect persons from unwanted disclosure of personal information. The district court of Delaware held that the Privacy Act was enacted "for the purpose of curtailing the expanding use of Social Security numbers and to eliminate the threat to individual and confidentiality of information posed by common numerical identifiers" in a strongly worded guideline and regulation for the maintenance of privacy and protection of records on individuals.

(a) (I) It shall be unlawful to deny to any individual any right, benefit or privilege provided by law because of such individual's refusal to disclose his/her Social Security number. Should any person, business or government agency decide to deny any right, benefit or privilege when one refuses to reveal one's Social Security number, ONE CAN FILE SUIT FOR ACTUAL DAMAGES SUSTAINED BY THE INDIVIDUAL AS A RESULT OF THE REFUSAL OR FAILURE, but in no case shall a person be entitled to a recovery receive less than the sum of one thousand dollars ($1,000) and (b) the cost of the action, together with reasonable attorney's fees is determined by the courts. One may recover the reward from the government agency, business, or individual who denies one the right, benefit or privilege. Should one be denied a right, benefit or privilege and one declines to provide a Social Security number, one files suit and if he/she is aware of the PRIVACY ACT, and refuses to honor it, that INDIVIDUAL is personally required to pay the actual damages for interfering with somebody else's privacy.

This instrument serves to make any aware any and all individuals of the PRIVACY ACT. Giving such individuals constructive notice.

---------------------------------------------
I wish that I could find it on a government web site.
I wonder if there is any more current law that disputes this one?
Not that I'm going to run out and test it......it's just good to know these things, just in case.

Support your community, support yourself. Buy local, buy American (or Canadian).
lux hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 03:25 PM   #10
Maximum Overdrive
December 21, 2012

The only thing with business's that use the numbers is that it usually is not a right, benefit or privilege. Hence not everyone can get a credit card and so on. The one thing that does bug me is that business has to much power in their hands and its either do it their way or not at all. Such as the crap with having to give your thumbprint to cash a check if its not your bank. My feeling is I have a state ID (drivers license, which is good enough to identify me to law enforcement) and if the check is drawn on that bank they do not need anymore personal information then my license and signature.
Old 03-21-2002, 03:33 PM   #11
paintpyro

Ah, the Constitution, over 200 years of interpretation. The problem is, one mans interpretation might not hold up in court. Im a credit analyst, and trust me, if you dont give a social, all of your other info better match up, or you wont get jack.
rallys and BFGs
-We can rebuild it, we have the technology-lower,shinier,faster
paintpyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 05:47 PM   #12
Stepside
Gasser

Ahhhhh, the privacy act of '76. What a nice memory. That's all it is now. If you want to get real bummed, check out what was done to the patent laws.
Old 03-21-2002, 07:52 PM   #13
Reumster
L.E.D. Freak

Stepeside please elaberate? On the Patent thing.

Also what's really all screwed up, a way for local law enforcement to take more of the governments money, Sorry I mean my money. (thats in my posesion,well you think you own something or have money but you don't)

Any way I got a ticket in Ohio, and didn't have the money to pay, it and forgot about it for awhile, well now that they can revoke any Drivers license, from any state if you have a warrent for not paying a ticket (that was illegal gave in the first place), Anyway is it the year 1940?? No obviuosly not if every state is connected now, but the FLIPIN F@@$&#@ loosers won't let you pay the ticket buy Credit Card? And also just take Faxs, no e-mail. What's the damn difference both are tracable.

So that way your payment gets there late, and they charge you a fee, for being late so when your money gets to them you still owe, so there's still a warrent, and 6 months latter you get pulled over and get your vehicle towed because you were driving on a revoked license that you didn't know about because you moved, and they can't forward the info. Yeah sound like a tall tail it happened to me.

------------------
(406)675-8082