The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The pre 1947 Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-15-2010, 10:07 PM   #1
Dan in Pasadena

Dan's '46 - Some Small Stuff Done Today.

I was off today and got a little time to work on a few things. I thought we needed a few work threads on the new board, so minimal as this work was, here goes:

Installed my rebuilt windshield regulator AND it works! The through-dash grommet sold by Jim Carter Truck Parts did NOT fit. NOT even with a bit of surgery. See pic's.

Got my eBay $9 glovebox hinges wire wheeled of minor rust and painted them satin black. I need small bolts to install the glove box door on the hinges though and some Nylok nuts for the hinges to connect to the dash. I did get the glovebox itself in though. It's HUGE too At least now I've got a place to put my registration and I'm going to buy a 1946 Owner's Manual.

I was going to install the cowl vent actuator too but my under dash mounted gauges are in the way of where the handle mounts. I'm considering:
1. Welding the cowl vent shut (boo!)
2. Moving the gauges over the top of the windshield (a bit odd)
or
3. Mounting them vertically in the same panel they're already in on the driver's side kick panel.

I also had some question about how the vent weatherstripping works? I uploaded pictures if anyone knows. I need to study this a bit. All comments appreciated.
Attached Images

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 03-05-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:11 PM   #2
Dan in Pasadena

Re: Dan's '46 - Some Small Stuff Done Today.

A couple more:
Attached Images

Old 02-15-2010, 10:19 PM   #3
Dan in Pasadena

I had to cut the entire flange off the opposite side of the grommet and then cut a big pie shaped wedge out of it to get the grommet to even fit in the dash. But once I did all that, the windshield actuator crank handle would not fit in the resulting hole. That picture above SEEMS like I'm holding the crank a distance away from the grommet. I'm not. It's touching the grommet. Obviously that crank is NOT going in that hole. It works fine without the grommet but it may rattle. I may just have to find some kind of thin rubber liner.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:24 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

Glovebox = box for your gloves back then,and that`s about it!
There`s got to be some grommet to fit that.The problem would be "finding it",eh?
Thanks for sharing your progress.I`ll enjoy seeing this thing come together.It all adds up to one cool truck in the end.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:49 AM   #5
Driveway Dreams
I have car A.D.D.

Nice progress Dan. Looks like quality pieces, other than the grommet. Progress is progress no matter how small. Just remember, you did that while I was at work...not making any progress or money. (Hey wait! That sucks!)
The 86 build thread SOLD

Are you a Colorado member?Click here.
Driveway Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:17 AM   #6
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driveway Dreams View Post
Nice progress Dan. Looks like quality pieces, other than the grommet. Progress is progress no matter how small. Just remember, you did that while I was at work...not making any progress or money. (Hey wait! That sucks!)
Yeah, the pieces are good but I am wondering a bit about JIm Cater Truck Parts. I was looking through the Chev's of the 40's catalog last night because someone has given me a gift certificate. I noticed that their glovebox says it comes. "...complete with clips." I think those are the small sheet metal clips that the screws (not provided, gotta buy those separatel!) use to "grab" onto the dash sheet metal. I'm pretty sure I can get those at a hardware store, but stilll it seems like they should comes withthe glovebox. I bought that box about the second week I had the truck last summer and didn't think to ask about them then.

I think they should have told me I needed nuts for the cowl vent shoulder bolts - they told me about the bolts. And they should have told me I needed the nuts to mount the glovebox hinges too. I DID ask about small tuff when I bought all this because I was buying all the door window felt and cab windlaces and hood weatherstripping, etc. Oh well, live and learn I suppose.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:27 AM   #7
Dan in Pasadena

Tne next thing 've got to figure out is how the cowl vent weatherstrip mounts. I've posted two pic's below and in playing around with it, it is not obvious (at least to me!) which direction it goes.

Oh and sorry for the bit out of focus pic's of the cowl vent shoulder bolts. THe shoulder goes in the hole in the vent door and I just assumed the threads would engage threads in the holes in the cowl itself - NOT! The holes in the cowl are bigger than the holes in the vent. I don't know if someone drilled them out at some point in the past or what but I've got to get some Nyloks - cause with it opening and closing a regular nut will come loose - and I guess use a fender washer to make it work. I'll be the guy scratching my head on the hardware aisle at Home Cheapo if you need me!
Attached Images

Old 02-17-2010, 01:14 AM   #8
Driveway Dreams
I have car A.D.D.

Sorry I don't think I can help you with the weatherstrip either. It doesn't fit as you have it sat in the 2nd pic i assume? But you made me laugh about Home Cheapo.
The 86 build thread SOLD

Last edited by Driveway Dreams; 02-17-2010 at 01:16 AM.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:32 PM   #9
Dan in Pasadena

I finally got a chance to get over to OSH the other day and bought the bolts, washers and Nylok nuts I needed. I installed the hinges and glove box door this afternoon but it got too late to take a picture. I'll take one tomorrow as well as my installation of the glove box itself.

I'm going to mock up a vertical center console out of cardboard to get a rough idea what one would look like to put the gauges in. I may also mock up a cardboard strip along the bottom of the dash where I could put the gauges, though that will take some thinking because it would also get in the way of the cowl vent actuator. If I want to keep it - and right now I do, I may have to buy one of those electric actuated ones. An expense I definitely don't need but it would be kinda cool.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:55 AM   #10
special-K
Special Order

Home Cheapo...I`m stealing your material,I want you to know.That`s a keeper!!
Cheapo quailty more than price.
I can see you scratching your head when an orange smock walks up ans asks,"Hi,what`s your project?" You tell him,"`46 Chevy Truck"...he says,"I`m going over there now",turns and shuffles real quick outta site.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 02-21-2010, 10:10 PM   #11
Dan in Pasadena

Typical pimply faced/clueless chick/ancient-deaf Home Cheapo employee approaches in their chic orange vest with the stylish nametag carefully applied in Marks-A-Lot:

"46 Chevy? Why do you own 46 Chevys?"

"No, no...I am restoring a 1946 Chevrolet truck"

Huh...uh....whaaa....? Oh well, we don't have auto parts"

"Uh, yeah, thanks..."
Old 02-25-2010, 12:47 AM   #12
Driveway Dreams
I have car A.D.D.

I love it. You should try and get that on hidden camera and post it on you tube. Man I would lmao seeing that! That is even better than the auto parts counter guy that argues with you about what parts you need. Ex: "they didn't offer that motor in 19**."
The 86 build thread SOLD

Old 02-25-2010, 01:07 AM   #13
Dan in Pasadena

WHat I "love" is (and this actually did happen to me), I go in to Pep Boys (1st mistake, the regular parts house was closed) I walk up to the parts counter:

"What can I do for you?"

"I want a set of front disc brake pads for a 2001 Toyota Tacoma Extra Cab PreRunner"

What year did you say?"

"2001"

Ok, and is that a 4, 6 or V8?"

"Uh...never mind...."

Cheese and Rice! I've been a 17 year old kid working the parts counter but I at least knew you couldn't get a V8 in a mini truck.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:18 AM   #14
justcuz

Dan, you should be ashamed of yourself! You live in Pasadena and you don't buy your specialized hardware at Bergs.

Next time you need anything out of the ordinary drive to the corner of Altadena Drive and Villa. Most anybody at the counter should fix you up but if its real special they will call John over to check it out.

I my have just ruined your entertaining threads for hardware, but your frustration level will drop way off.

P.S. They have grommets, nylon washers, clips for your glovebox too! Its a real hardware store.

Last edited by justcuz; 02-27-2010 at 12:19 AM.
justcuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:38 PM   #15
Dan in Pasadena

Ha...ha...I live in EASY walking distance from Berg's Hardware, about two residential blocks away. I walk past it every evening with my dog. I tried going over there but they were closed when I went. You're right,they have good stuff.
Old 02-27-2010, 05:07 PM   #16
justcuz

Their regular business hours are not condusive to the 9to5 working folks.
Thats why the place is a zoo on Saturday.
I was good friends with Johns Dad and used to go 4 wheeling with him and the Pasadena Roughriders 4wd club a lot. The picture of my truck in my avatar was taken at El Mirage when it had a bunch of water in it. Don was on this day trip.

This picture is from a trip we took in the mid 70's. Dons red Jeep is towing the Ford Courier trailer and Don is in shirtsleeves walking toward the camera.
Attached Images

Last edited by justcuz; 02-27-2010 at 05:22 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:50 PM   #17
Dan in Pasadena

justcuz - thanks for posting this cool picture. I wonder if that club still exists and if they still take desert excursions like that?

BTW, I stopped by Berg's today and tried to buy some small #8-32 screws for my glove compartment door hinges. The ones I bought at OSH fit too loose so I thought maybe they were cheapo Chinese made and maybe Berg's would have some with a better class of fit. They didn't. I don't hold it against them. These are 60 something year old threads so they are loose. But they did suggest using a thread locker to hold the screw.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:28 PM   #18
justcuz

No the club ceased to exist in the mid to late 80's. Most of the guys who have vehicles in the picture no longer go 4 wheeling much. I am the youngest of the group and I am 57. I still go though! The maroon Chevy is my truck, I go a lot with the guys from work.

I still have a jacket with a big Roughriders patch on the back.
Attached Images

Old 03-04-2010, 02:56 PM   #19
Dan in Pasadena

Do you guys think I should keep posting pictures/text of small changes and improvements I make here or should I start separate threads (for other's future reference)? Like for example the installtion of my windshield regulator mechanism would have been one. Restoration/installtion of my glove box door hinges and the door itself would have been another. I just found a source of a lot of knowledge on these trucks (more on him later) and got some headliner bows from him so when I do that install soon it will entail disassembly, de-rusting treatment, adding insulation and installation of the headliner itself. All that could be its own thread as well. Whaddya think?

2nd: I found a guy on Stovebolt who is in the SoCal area that currently owns a number of '41-'46 trucks. He's got a complete 1-1/2 ton wrecker and an ultra rare Canopy Truck in his garages now - a a couple more I haven't seen. (Canopy = H.D. Panel with large rectangular openings on each side w/ canvas roll up sides for displaying your merchandise like produce, etc.) He has provided me with the following links which I think will be of use to anyone working these trucks.

Notice the door window channel does NOT go over the top of the window. He tells me that on every '41-'46 he's taken apart that was still factory original, the channel only goes up to the point where the door frame begins to curve and stops there. I'm sure that allowed plenty of wind noise, but with an openable windshield, a cowl vent, and NO insulation in the truck, how would you have ever noticed it?
Old 03-04-2010, 02:58 PM   #20
Dan in Pasadena

Oops, forgot the links:

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com...rts/16/736.HTM

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com...rts/16/737.HTM

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com...rts/16/738.HTM

and maybe the most important one:

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/index.htm

HIOpe this helps someone (besides me) - Dan
Old 03-04-2010, 05:50 PM   #21
special-K
Special Order

Hmmm...good question and great to get all`s input.First I thought "nah,carry on".But,I see a build thread sub-forum in the future and if you kept it all separate now,it`s great individual "follow alongs/how tos".A build thread could always be made later by consolidating.Considering the freshness of this forum,I`d like to see the added activity.People need more to check back on.More things to post about.And,I guess the thread could get pretty big for a newcomer to catch up on.That`s how I`d have to do a build thread anyway.I don`t rifle through a project.I take years anymore.You`d lose trackof my progress,never find my thread.I figure if I documant it all I can do a build thread in retrpspect straight on through.That`s my book on it.

Tim

Old 03-04-2010, 06:20 PM   #22
justcuz

Dan,

I agree with Special-K, only in a different way, but probably saying something closely related to his opinion.

I would do seperate threads on each improvement for 2 reasons.

1. A thread in this section reading "installing headliner, insulation and bows" is a lot easier to find and reference than looking through an entire thread to find one process.

2. It allows anyone who has done the same project to add information or an easier way to do it without hijacking your thread about your truck...like I am doing by posting old pictures in here that don't pertain to your vehicle!

That way your thread about your truck could be more of an open conversation and your tech stuff would be in seperate threads.

How many older trucks does this guy have access to? When I win the Lotto I'll take two. One for a cruiser resto rod with a hopped up Stovebolt and the other to make into a 4x4!

The purists would kill me over the 4x4, but if done like a Napco, it could be restored to stock pretty easy.

Last edited by justcuz; 03-04-2010 at 06:22 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:03 PM   #23
special-K
Special Order

Dan,that`s what I meant .
Not sure what you mean about any hijacking...Man,I wanted to do that 4wheelin`back then.I wished I was living there,then,when it was classic iron in the trails.I grew up with 4wds and did my share of wheelin`but was filled with wonder lust by the mags and that desert and high country adventuring.I did some out there,but wished I could live it.
How about a war era civvy bodied deuce and a quarter pickup?I`m no purist,but I do like it if a body can be put back to stock if possible.These rough riders are hackin`em all up for a silly fad.The`re cool to look at,but once you`ve seen a few it`s just monkey see now.They are like choppers,no fun to go too far in.Hardly seems worth the permanent damage after being preserved for 60 years.If those guys had real talent they`d pound out what little body required from sheet stock and actually build something.
Oh...is that what you meant?Sorry,maybe you have a point

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 03-04-2010 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:11 PM   #24
justcuz

Special-K

There are some old GMC's and Chevys behind the winery's around here that were used for grape harvesting. They look to be around 1.5 ton trucks.4wd, 2 axle, duals in the rear with a closed cab. Flat fenders like the old Powerwagons and the metal grille guards on them. Is that what you are talking about? I'd love to own one of those trucks too
Old 03-04-2010, 10:34 PM   #25
justcuz

I've done the off road stuff since I was 17. 4 wheeling and off road racing too. Used to pit crew for quite a few guys.

The green 73 Chevy in the above picture was converted to 3/4 ton in the mid 70's. 1/2 ton shortbed stepside with a 350 and a 4 spd. $3500.00 brand new. Ended up with a utility body on it before it died. Good runner, great off road. We custom built the springs, dual shocks, detroit in the rear tru-trac front, sidewinder winch. Sad to see it die. This was on a back road in Nevada heading into Yerington. The chassis is still in Fallon in a friends yard.
Attached Images

Last edited by justcuz; 03-04-2010 at 10:40 PM.