The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-11-2018, 01:50 PM   #1
Rod Run

OD and transmission tunnel problems

I've never seen anyone talk about this subject on here (I haven't done a search), but has anyone else had problems with your 700R4 bellhousing hit the floor of your truck?

Mine (1971 C10) is hitting the seam where the firewall & floor come together. the cab isn't even bolted down to the frame yet either. It's just resting on the mounts. I never even noticed it, until last weekend I dropped a tool in the area and saw the problem.

Truck is already 100% wired and engine is running. The firewall & floor had all brand new paint too
Old 06-11-2018, 02:07 PM   #2
leddzepp

Re: OD and transmission tunnel problems

Here is your solution:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=761625

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 05:25 PM   #3
Bigdav160

Can you move the motor forward slightly?
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 11:10 PM   #4
boynton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdav160 View Post
Can you move the motor forward slightly?
I 2nd this. I think the 6 cylinder holes are further back. I have a 350/700r4 in my red truck and have a low hump. No issues here. I can try to get some pictures later and make sure we didn’t change anything if you need them.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=584499
1970 SWB One Owner Step Side 6.0 LY6/6L90
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=617630 Junkyard's 1971 short wide
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...86#post7531186
boynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 01:44 AM   #5
Rod Run

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post

Thanks, but with the entire underside of the truck sprayed with Lizardskin & painted body color, two layers of dynamat & dynashield stuck to the floor (probably around $80 worth just in the tunnel area), shifter mounted and pretty much my full engine harness coming through a hole in the tunnel (that I would have to cut every wire to get them removed), I am not really looking to get that extreme and ruin all the paint right now, because there would be no way to mint it back out with everything being assembled as it currently is.

I was just more seeing if many people had the same problem, than I was looking for a solution at this point. I love that you pulled one up though. Thank you
Old 06-12-2018, 06:58 AM   #6
CaptRMW
Custom Sport W/T

Location: Tarpon Springs,Fl & Annapolis,Md. ....................Quaint drinking villages with a fishing problem

Easy fix now by moving the engine forward and changing the 6 cylinder motor stands to V-8. The only difference besides the transmission hitting the cab is when you find that your HEI distributor cap hits the firewall and your shifter is either under the seat or in the console and your fan is about 4" south of the shroud. I almost forgot to mention if you need to remove the transmission with the setup you currently have you will need a mechanically inclined gnat to get the bell housing bolts out. Like I said easy now but a major pain in the shorts later.
CaptRMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:17 AM   #7
KevinK7

Quote:
Originally Posted by boynton View Post
I 2nd this. I think the 6 cylinder holes are further back. I have a 350/700r4 in my red truck and have a low hump. No issues here. I can try to get some pictures later and make sure we didn’t change anything if you need them.
I realize Rod Run is talking about a 700R4 trans and I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but your comment above hits an issue I am really wondering about. I have heard similar( 6-cyl holes are further back), yet I've also heard that a factory 6-cyl with TH400 has the low hump (my 68 is this way). My truck is out west, so I can't crawl under to take a peek.

Just wondering for those that have had 'no issues', how close is it? ...and for those at the beginning stages if it would simply be worth it to go with the high hump to avoid any issues down the road.

Thanks in advance,

Kevin
KevinK7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:31 AM   #8
CaptRMW
Custom Sport W/T

Location: Tarpon Springs,Fl & Annapolis,Md. ....................Quaint drinking villages with a fishing problem

The truck pictured in my avatar has a 350 with a 700R4 and there are no issues with clearance on a low hump. Removing the transmission no problem and take off the HEI cap and tip it behind the distributor and it is totally out of the way. At least once a month I see someone here that believed Bubba when he said no need to change anything just pull the 6 and drop that 350 right back on the same motor mounts and you are good to go and it will "bolt right up" at that point the "good to go" goes out the window.
CaptRMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 10:43 AM   #9
ZEKE68

I just put a 4L80E in behind a big block on stock big block mounts. Its sitting on the stock auto cross member in the back, and I have about 1 3/4" clearance between the trans and the body where the seem is. I did flatten the seem before I installed the trans just for the extra clearance, but I still would have over an inch of clearance even if I didn't. Mine is a low hump cab and there is plenty of room at the engine end of the trans. Mine gets tighter toward the tail shaft end of the trans where I have about 3/4" vertical clearance on top just before the tail shaft. V8 mounts would likely solve your issues, though it would cause you rework elsewhere.