The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-13-2018, 02:20 AM   #1
Jay_D

Cab straightening?

i bought a 1971 K 20? with a 6 inch lift fairly nice condition for $1200, the only problem is the windshield is so bad and i contacted the original owner and he told me his son rolled the truck but like a love tap roll nothing serious just hit a snow bank slowly and rolled it and it bent the roof over a bit enough to break the windshield. Just wondering how i can bend this back to its original spot so i can get a new windshield ill try and post pictures but i am new here and keep in mind i don't have much cash i have to do this myself most likely thank you.
Jay_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:12 AM   #2
Bones72Super

Re: Cab straightening?

I would say the cheapest route to go is to hit a snowbank and roll it over in the other direction...gently
Bones72Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:58 AM   #3
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones72Super View Post
I would say the cheapest route to go is to hit a snowbank and roll it over in the other direction...gently
....I would talk to a body shop and see how much to give the cab a tug to get the windshield opening back to spec.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:38 AM   #4
Boog
laying low

Dale’s got the right idea. You can do more damage to it trying to save money than it might cost to have a professional pull it back.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 02:52 AM   #5
Jay_D

Some Pics of the Truck hoping someone can tell me if it looks fine or not, i haven't had a chance to do anything been busy.
Attached Images

Old 07-25-2018, 02:53 AM   #6
Jay_D

somewhat close up
Attached Images

Old 07-25-2018, 06:27 AM   #7
Grumpy old man

Hard to see with these pictures need close ups all around ,Are those creases in the roof and rear panels ? Any truck with a 6" lift shouldn't be plowing snow it will twist like a pretzel and it will continue to twist and you'll be replacing windshields every time you hit a solid snow bank , your looking at a long row to hoe to get that cab straight again and you would be MUCH further ahead in time and cost to find another cab and replace it .start taking X cross measurements across the cab to see how far it's really bent
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:21 AM   #8
special-K
Special Order

The plow, the 6" lift... none of this has anything to do with the cab. Except that may be why this happened... the lift w/big tires. It's a really strong spot there, but like any other dent/bent piece it will require force in the opposite direction as close to the opposite to correct it. I'm no body man but I've fixed, and had fixed (which I observed closely), a lot of body damage. My thoughts are a porta-power up into the upper corner at an angle down toward the opposite rear lower corner. The question is how strong is that area compared to this one. If you go beyond the corner to an anchor on the floor/ground the truck will need to be anchors as well. That is pushing and then there is pulling. Truck would need to be solid anchored and try a come-along. Maybe anchor truck from down at the bottom of the pillar or nearest strong point, so you are pulling directly from the bottom of pillar. A body repair expert will likely have better suggestions

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 10:12 AM   #9
truckster

I would post in the body and paint forum. There are some very knowledgeable people there.
Old 07-25-2018, 03:13 PM   #10
special-K
Special Order

So are you saying the passenger side is where it is racked? I saw the replaced door and so much less top out over the door I assumed it was the top corner on driver side.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:34 PM   #11
AussieinNC

Door gaps tell me the front top edge of the cab along the screen line is compressed back about 3/4", plus the cab is titled to the passenger side at the top.

There also appears to be a compression dent in the drivers side rear C panel...

This cab could be repaired, bit check the cab mounts first and cab corners and sills...if there in need of work...get another cab...it will be easier in the long run.
AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 09:44 PM   #12
Boog
laying low

With the amount of "visible" damage to the roof top and rear panel one can only imagine how much damage you don't see. Considering where you are located I imagine there aren't many good cabs available up there so that means long distance cab search and more money. You have to decide how far you want to take this and what you are willing to spend to get there.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 10:55 PM   #13
Jay_D

if your talking about the part circle, from what i heard from original owner is that the guy who had it before him had exhaust stacks welded to the cab and took them off, there are a bunch of lifted trucks with plows in Alaska you can look around one corner and another and you'll see lifted trucks, i mainly bought this thing for the plow i was told you shouldn't put a plow on independent suspension and when i found this truck for $1200 here in Alaska that's a steal, there are other C10-K20's going for $10K-$20K and for some other odd reason my insurance went up $300 cause of it might be cause of old age not sure.
Attached Images