The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading > 4x4 Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-01-2018, 08:51 PM   #1
swamp rat

Re: Rat repair.

Have you ever bought an expensive part to use down the road then you can’t find it when the time comes? I have spent the last 2 hours looking for it with no luck yet, a nice original tac dash. Had it in one of my spare rooms then had to move it out of there about 6 months ago, talk about frustration! I was hoping to install it now but......

Oh the stereo system is operational, only needed one set of RCA outs from the head unit, both front and rear have the same wattage so it’s usable, everything is routed and secured with zip ties, I don’t think I need to worry about mounting the front speakers in the corner brackets, least not yet

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 11:43 PM   #2
DD1

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
Have you ever bought an expensive part to use down the road then you can’t find it when the time comes? I have spent the last 2 hours looking for it with no luck yet, a nice original tac dash. Had it in one of my spare rooms then had to move it out of there about 6 months ago, talk about frustration! I was hoping to install it now but......
That has happened to me with expensive and inexpensive parts. I hope you find it soon - that's not something you want to buy twice. Good luck in your search. I can totally relate.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=502964
DD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:10 PM   #3
swamp rat

Still can’t find my elusive tach dash!
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 07-04-2018, 04:49 PM   #4
swamp rat

So now I have my seat in the truck, the full thickness foam seat sits me higher and a bit further forward than the old seat, I like the sit higth, plenty of head room but I could sure use a little more room between me and the steering wheel, anybody got any tips, advice or places to let look and read about moving the column forward?? I can gain about 1.5” inside, not sure about the outside?

Sorry bout the pic, taken and my cellphone.
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 07-04-2018, 05:59 PM   #5
Vic1947

Quote:
... anybody got any tips, advice about moving the column forward?? I can gain about 1.5” inside, not sure about the outside.
If it's a stock column, there are a couple of ways to shorten the shaft. The easiest is to buy a Borgeson 3/4 DD coupler or U-joint($$) cut your shaft and remove the appropriate amount and put it back together with the coupler or joint. The cleanest way is to modify it where it collapses in the event of a crash. In the attached photo, there are two thru holes the factory used to create a plastic slip joint. If you remove the shaft from the column, drill out the two holes and press the two parts apart, you'll find a shallow groove about .050" by .500 wide around the 3/4 DD shaft IIRC. It will have the remains of the plastic retainer in it which will need to be cleaned out. Cut 1.5" off the end off the DD shaft and press the two pieces back together using RTV around the grooved areas. You can refill the original holes with Plast-Aid or JB Weld if you like, but the only reason to do so is cosmetic. Either way, the shaft still retains it's collapsible design.
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:43 AM   #6
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic1947 View Post
If it's a stock column, there are a couple of ways to shorten the shaft. The easiest is to buy a Borgeson 3/4 DD coupler or U-joint($$) cut your shaft and remove the appropriate amount and put it back together with the coupler or joint. The cleanest way is to modify it where it collapses in the event of a crash. In the attached photo, there are two thru holes the factory used to create a plastic slip joint. If you remove the shaft from the column, drill out the two holes and press the two parts apart, you'll find a shallow groove about .050" by .500 wide around the 3/4 DD shaft IIRC. It will have the remains of the plastic retainer in it which will need to be cleaned out. Cut 1.5" off the end off the DD shaft and press the two pieces back together using RTV around the grooved areas. You can refill the original holes with Plast-Aid or JB Weld if you like, but the only reason to do so is cosmetic. Either way, the shaft still retains it's collapsible design.

This is a pic under the dash its a stock tilt column that I bought from a guy here on this forum, he buys them, rebuilds them and powder coats them black. I only have about 3/4" of space between that thing and the firewall, I have no idea if its removable or what it does, plus I have a column shift automatic..

Its kinda looking like I will be going back to my Grant steering wheel or a starvation diet, i'm leaning towards the Grant.
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 07-05-2018, 09:40 AM   #7
Vic1947

Quote:
This is a pic under the dash its a stock tilt column that I bought from a guy here on this forum, he buys them, rebuilds them and powder coats them black. I only have about 3/4" of space between that thing and the firewall, I have no idea if its removable or what it does, plus I have a column shift automatic..

Its kinda looking like I will be going back to my Grant steering wheel or a starvation diet, i'm leaning towards the Grant.
It's used for the neutral safety feature and backup lights. A floor shift column doesn't have this switch which is instead mounted on the shifter. So a floor shift column could be shoved further down. The switch is removable, but you lose those functions. I'm not aware of any kits that would relocate it. So as you've already figured out, it's Jenny Craig or a steering wheel with less dish.
Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote