The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-16-2011, 04:39 PM   #26
jbgroby

Re: Unity Spotlight Repairs

Funny that this thread popped back up. I literally order a new switch from Unity just this morning.

Jake
jbgroby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 05:01 PM   #27
SIR
SIR

some of the boy's over on the H.A.M.B. might like this post also.....PASS IT ON....
Old 02-11-2012, 04:21 PM   #28
vintage_car

gotta question- my spot light seems to be grounding out. the rubber bushing is intact where the post comes through. if I have the spot light apart from the handle and apply power it works. when I assemble it, it will quickly smoke the wire a bit and get hot very fast...indicating a short. Any suggestions.
vintage_car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:54 PM   #29
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

The ground side of the circuit is accomplished through the spotlight shaft grounding to the car body through the brackets or shaft. If you have a rubber seal like this on the inside shaft, it is for draft prevention and cosmetics, not electrical insulation:

It seems most likely you probably have a broken wire right at the switch, or the switch itself may be bad. If the short was anywhere else in the power wire, it should be shorting out all the time, not just when the switch is energized. I would pull the switch out of the handle and try testing it separately with a continuity tester. The only electrical flow should be from the power wire out through the spring probe on the front. If it has continuity through any other portion of the switch - it is shorted. Also make sure the switch mounting screw is tight, so it is being held in proper orientation inside the housing.

If that doesn’t solve the problem the rod & gear assembly or the handle casting may be damaged inside. Post #24 above shows the details. Advise more details if none of this helps.

Last edited by markeb01; 03-05-2012 at 06:00 PM.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:49 PM   #30
51rag

This is a well written and illustrated post. I have 3 unity spotlights that I am trying to build one good one out of. Have followed all directions in the post, but am having a difficult time removing the head post. Got it out of one, but messed it up in the process. Any further clues--these seem pretty stuck in there and the screws and pin are all removed.
Steve
51rag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:34 AM   #31
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

If the steps shown in the first post don’t free the headpost, I’ve had some luck on really stubborn assemblies attaching a regular gear style hose clamp to the upper headpost flange. One of the smaller ¼” versions will normally get enough bite to be effective. Tighten it as much as possible, and then gently tap on the front and back of the gear screw until it breaks loose. This might take a while, and you may need to retighten the clamp a few times. This will usually work it free - eventually.

Soaking in PB Blaster or your favorite penetrating oil ahead of time might also help.

A last resort is wrapping the upper flange with duct tape and attempting to work it free with Channel Lock pliers. But the risk of damage to the headpost, or the pliers slipping off and hurting your fingers is substantial.

Good luck.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:45 PM   #32
51rag

Thanks for the advice, I finally got it removed and without any apparent damage. I went to Hershey to check for a mounting bracket and kit, but the guy from Accessoryland was not there this year. Is there a good source for these without calling the company in Chicago?
51rag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:31 PM   #33
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Bob from Accessoryland is the best resource available. He's the only person I know of that can actually go to the Unity factory and look through their inventory looking for vintage parts. His website doesn't seem to be active any longer, but from what I've been told he still answers the phone.

The 2nd best resource is Ebay. There was a left and right inside bracket for a 60-63 listed about a week ago. Beyond that, finding something in a wrecking yard is pretty unlikely unless you really get lucky. In the past I have found spotlight items in antique stores or oddball shops in out of the way places.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:14 PM   #34
1963c-10

i bought both mine from 2 different people. one guy bought the outside for his 64-66 and it didnt fit, so i got lucky there and he gave it to me for $20. my inside came from ebay at $30.
Posted via Mobile Device
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:16 PM   #35
MadnessBigBlock

If anyone needs ...[/size]

Last edited by N2TRUX; 02-18-2013 at 11:44 AM.
MadnessBigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:30 AM   #36
ChiefRocka
Hollister, CA.

Great info !

I recently purchased a pair from a member on here.

Now I just need the mounts for my 62 & 63.
Posted via Mobile Device

What the Heck is that ??

CURRENT BUILDS:
62 BurbMaster

Other Builds:
My '63 C-10,LWB,CC,BBW
'06 HD StrAight Axle Swap

Father/Son '67 C-20, LQ9,4L80,Bagged,8-Lugger !!Good Friend Richard's Build

AMERICAN CUSTOMS & CLASSICS (831) 630-1965
www.ACCHOLLISTER.com
ACC on FACEBOOK
"Rest in Peace, Mom & Dad ... I will see you again someday!"
ChiefRocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:44 AM   #37
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadnessBigBlock View Post
If anyone needs.....
Please note that you must be a supporting member to post classified item. This includes but is not limited to What Its Worth, Want To Buy, Want To Trade, and For Sale. Please consider supporting the forum by subscribing. Further information on the subscription levels available are located here

If you need any further assistance with that please contact any Admin for help.

copy and paste the above box into the thread you are editing.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:31 PM   #38
ChiefRocka
Hollister, CA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
The 2nd best resource is Ebay. There was a left and right inside bracket for a 60-63 listed about a week ago....
Where exactly ??

What the Heck is that ??

CURRENT BUILDS:
62 BurbMaster

Other Builds:
My '63 C-10,LWB,CC,BBW
'06 HD StrAight Axle Swap

Father/Son '67 C-20, LQ9,4L80,Bagged,8-Lugger !!Good Friend Richard's Build

AMERICAN CUSTOMS & CLASSICS (831) 630-1965
www.ACCHOLLISTER.com
ACC on FACEBOOK
"Rest in Peace, Mom & Dad ... I will see you again someday!"
ChiefRocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:13 PM   #39
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefRocka View Post
Where exactly ??
They are generally listed in the Vintage Car & Truck Parts section. I’m sure the listing I mentioned earlier was gone within days. When 60-63 (part # 141) brackets are listed by themselves, they always get purchased by someone and if there is a “buy it now” option the listing almost always ends early.

To increase the chances of finding the correct bracket(s) it pays to do multiple searches almost daily. I’ve used these key words with success in the past:

Unity
Unity bracket
NOS Unity
Unity 141
Unity S6
Vintage Unity
Spot Light
Spotlight

Many of the search results will be filled with clutter, but every now and then something pops up unexpectedly. Sellers often do not know what they have so it pays to open each entry and look at the parts. I’ve seen 141 brackets on a variety of lights listed as an incorrect application. Also, there are probably many other brackets that will work, which may not have been designed for this application.

When I moved the spotlights on my 54 Chevy from the doors to the windshield posts, I used brackets from a Dodge Highway Patrol cruiser and they fit perfectly. Universal #31 brackets will fit, and 52- 54 Mercury brackets look like they might work

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCURY-SPOT...sories&vxp=mtr

Also these Cadillac brackets are of a similar shape and might work:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1948-1949-19...sories&vxp=mtr

For other ideas, there are a few installations using other than 141 brackets in this 60-63 installation thread:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ight=spotlight

Here are a few other buying tips when shopping for either a spotlight or the brackets:

The 1980’s era "The Beam" may be a perfect fit for the 60-63 Chevy trucks, or can be used for parts to upgrade an early lamp. The part swapping options are shown in the repair thread above.

Avoid through the roof offerings as the head pivot is on the side of the housing and won’t fit properly on a windshield post mounting location. Conventional spotlight heads pivot from the bottom.

When viewing internet photos, consider the details as if you are shopping for a pocket watch. Anything you can’t see clearly is probably worse than it looks.

Beware of Ebay prices that are higher than buying new items directly from Unity. This can be true for complete lamps and especially for parts like handles, switches, bulb retention springs, etc.

Don’t be impatient. There is a GM225 model listed right now for $150. I bought the identical spotlight for $25. This may fit perfectly on a 60-63, but I don't remember for sure if the shaft length is correct.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-NOS-...sories&vxp=mtr

Make sure the spotlight is complete. Frequently the outer tube (shaft cover) is missing rendering the lamp useless, and sometimes it isn’t readily apparent in the photo.

Be specifically careful about the shaft length (the distance between the handle and the lamp head). It should look similar to the examples shown in the rebuild and installation threads. If too short, it will be impossible to mount the handle inside the cab. If too long, the handle may interfere with the steering wheel.

Good luck!
Old 10-24-2017, 09:45 AM   #40
Hotcorner

If you have a problem pushing the rod & gear assembly out of the inner tube, try heating the tube up a little with a propane torch. My grease it turned into varnish after 48 years. The heat helped liquefy the old grease and it slid right out after it was heated. Mine wouldn’t budge until I heated it, and it slipped right out.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Hotcorner; 10-24-2017 at 12:52 PM.
Hotcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 11:42 AM   #41
Short 3/4

Great info, thanks for starting this thread. When looking for parts, advice or even repairs I would recommend calling Unity direct. They are very friendly and helpful. They rebuilt a light for me a couple of years back and charged very little for parts and labor. Nice to know they still support what they have built in the past.
NoSpin HO72 4.10 rear
Short 3/4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 12:51 PM   #42
Hotcorner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Short 3/4 View Post
Great info, thanks for starting this thread. When looking for parts, advice or even repairs I would recommend calling Unity direct. They are very friendly and helpful. They rebuilt a light for me a couple of years back and charged very little for parts and labor. Nice to know they still support what they have built in the past.
Good to know!👍🏼
Posted via Mobile Device
Hotcorner is offline   Reply With Quote