The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-04-2018, 10:46 PM   #1
jocko

Exterior Decor Package

Several threads on here reference the ZY5 Exterior Décor Package RPO, but most, if not all, seem to be year-specific. Would like to build a more definitive, one-stop shopping thread for those purdy hood stripes, history (i.e. what's the first year, etc), and how the RPO evolved over the years (things like how the hood stripes changed over the years. I know they changed from double to triple between 79 and 80, for example, but would like to document all the variations over the years in a single thread).

Pics highly encouraged, but all knowledge appreciated (Keith, pile in here please)!
I'll get the ball rolling - here are a few nice lookin 1977 Exterior Décor Package examples.
Attached Images

jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:39 AM   #2
langer427

Re: Exterior Decor Package

Hi, I just bought a 1977 Camper Special -- I had to buy it as soon as I saw it! It has original paint and the ZY5 Exterior Decor Package with the hood stripes, at first I thought someone must have painted the hood but after closer inspection and some research it had the hood stripes, super pumped! They are faded away on the top but still there under the hood lip. Do you have any idea where I can order these. I can probably just have some made. Would it be possible for you to send a pic of the top of the hood so I can see exactly how they were applied. (I searched high and low to even find one pic until I found yours) Attached are a few pics of the truck and whats left of the stripes. My number is 612-987-1878 DaveName:  chev1973.JPG
Views: 1128
Size:  66.6 KB

Name:  chev1977.JPG
Views: 1287
Size:  101.8 KB

Name:  chev19771.JPG
Views: 1235
Size:  98.6 KB

Name:  chev19772.jpg
Views: 1145
Size:  61.5 KB
langer427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 05:16 AM   #3
TKCR

As far as the stripes, I ran across this site when I was looking for the vinyl tape used on the center grille molding (85-87). They make this stuff big enough and durable enough for the exterior of the vehicle.

https://www.rvinyl.com
TKCR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:58 PM   #4
jocko

Here's some more pics for ref for ya - note that they changed slightly over the years, sometimes two stripes, sometimes three, etc. Luckily you have a starting point so you know what yours should look like. Pic #4 is just for you! Pic $5 is my absolute favorite squarebody paint combo, especially with the hood stripes.
Attached Images

Old 10-10-2018, 11:24 PM   #5
langer427

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Here's some more pics for ref for ya - note that they changed slightly over the years, sometimes two stripes, sometimes three, etc. Luckily you have a starting point so you know what yours should look like. Pic #4 is just for you! Pic $5 is my absolute favorite squarebody paint combo, especially with the hood stripes.
Hi, I just found another truck with the exterior decor package and it looks like it is your favorite colors -- the blue 2 tone with stripes. This is a 1978 gmc 4x4 1500 with power windows, locks cruise, tilt. Paint if faded but original and rust free. I can get it for $6000. Not sure if thats a great deal or not, does the value go up with all these options. I didn't see the option list on the glove box door could it be somewhere else. By the way thanks for posting the pics back then. Please let me know what you think and if this is a very rare truck that I should go after. Thanks again!
Old 10-11-2018, 09:55 PM   #6
jocko

Sounds nice. I'm not a 1/2 ton or GMC guy - but power windows/locks & tilt help. Cruise pretty common by 78, but still nice to have. As for the stripes - people either seem to love em or hate em (you know were I'm at on this!) so it's a roll of the dice when it comes to resale. Overall, I personally believe it helps and that most folks like em - but I'm a little biased ame goes for GMC - some prefer them, some won't buy them specifically for that reason, some will buy either Chev or GMC. I think, generally speaking, GMC used to be considered the higher "luxury" truck than Chevs, but - other folks will ONLY buy chevs (like me). I can't explain it, it just "is"... SPID can sometimes be on the driver side wheel well inside the engine compartment - kinda below the master cylinder - but, if I recall, that was only in very early squares like 73/74-ish. Should be back in the glovebox by 78. My 76 was in the gb.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:58 PM   #7
langer427

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Sounds nice. I'm not a 1/2 ton or GMC guy - but power windows/locks & tilt help. Cruise pretty common by 78, but still nice to have. As for the stripes - people either seem to love em or hate em (you know were I'm at on this!) so it's a roll of the dice when it comes to resale. Overall, I personally believe it helps and that most folks like em - but I'm a little biased ame goes for GMC - some prefer them, some won't buy them specifically for that reason, some will buy either Chev or GMC. I think, generally speaking, GMC used to be considered the higher "luxury" truck than Chevs, but - other folks will ONLY buy chevs (like me). I can't explain it, it just "is"... SPID can sometimes be on the driver side wheel well inside the engine compartment - kinda below the master cylinder - but, if I recall, that was only in very early squares like 73/74-ish. Should be back in the glovebox by 78. My 76 was in the gb.
Thanks this helps, I'm gonna hold off and see if price drops -- thanks again!
Old 11-20-2023, 10:59 PM   #8
jocko

great example of a 79 ZY5 Exterior Decor Package truck in charcoal/mustic silver.
Attached Images