The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-21-2013, 11:10 AM   #1
sterk44

DG4 Mirrors - Different Heights?

Been browsing around for a while.... first post though. Searched for my answer but couldn't find anything. Hopefully someone can shed some light on this for me.

I've got a '70 C10 that has the DG4 mirrors but I believe one or both are no longer the original mirror heads. The passenger side is attached to the three mounting arms with a "riser". Can't determine if any trucks were that way originally. My guess is no because I've looked at a million pictures on here and havent seen them.

Granted, without that riser, the bottom corner of the mirror would be blocked by the door, so I guess in a way its useful. I honestly didnt even notice it when I bought the truck, or for a while after for that matter. Didn't bother me until the other day when I let my wife drive it home and she pulled up behind me. Looked in the rearview and the difference in height stood out like a sore thumb.

Any thoughts? Should I see about getting the riser out or is the driver side missing it?
Attached Images

sterk44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:59 PM   #2
camrycurt

Re: DG4 Mirrors - Different Heights?

Hey, welcome to the board from VA. Beautiful truck! Your truck is a twin to my 70 C/10 and I love that color combo. It's my favorite look on these trucks.

On the mirrors, the driver's mirror looks to be a replacement. I think the passenger side mirror head is the original type.

And on the passenger riser, it looks to be a useful addition so you might keep it on unless the height difference bothers you. If you don't like it, take it off. My used DG4 mirrors came to me with extensions on both sides to extend them out further from the truck. I didn't need them for towing, so I took them off. I don't have any problem using either mirror with the stock mounts.

Good luck!

1970 C/10, 250 L6 with Rochester BV carb, SM465 4 speed, 3.73 open rear
camrycurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:32 PM   #3
SS Tim

That pretty much nails it. The driver's head is a replacement. The passenger side has a typical camper extension in an unusual location. They were aftermarket parts intended to allow the heads to stick out a little further without buying the big camper swing around style. However its current use really diminishes the purpose of the below eye line mirrors, that is to be able to see over them and knowing what is behind them. Its amazing how much can hide behind a west coast style mirror.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:50 PM   #4
sterk44

Thanks for the responses guys!

Tim, when you say in an unusual location do you mean it belongs in the spot I have circled below?

I'll start shopping for a replacement mirror head for the driver side. Needed a replacement anyways. It would appear that the PO knocked the mirror head off the arm because its held on by screws and washers where I assume rivets used to be (look closely).

I'm still on the fence about whether I like these mirrors or not but I'm trying to be patient and give them a chance to grow on me. I know most people say they can't see *** out of the sport mirrors.
Attached Images

1970 C10 LWB Daily Driver
1971 Nova
Old 06-21-2013, 01:59 PM   #5
camrycurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterk44 View Post
I'm still on the fence about whether I like these mirrors or not but I'm trying to be patient and give them a chance to grow on me. I know most people say they can't see *** out of the sport mirrors.
I'll second that. I know a lot of guys like the looks of the little mirrors better, but I replaced the sport mirrors on my truck because I couldn't see anything with them. I was actually nervous to drive the truck.

I'm so much more comfortable driving with the bigger mirrors. I personally think the truck looks better with the DG4 mirrors, so that's a plus as well.

But it's up to you. It's your truck and you should set it up like you want!

1970 C/10, 250 L6 with Rochester BV carb, SM465 4 speed, 3.73 open rear
camrycurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:43 PM   #6
SS Tim

Correct, the drill was to unbolt the head, screw on the extension and reinstall the head now out about three more inches. Be advised that the thread on the mirror arms is a non-standard 3/8-20 ! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=564182
My advice is to keep the DG4s unless you need more. The campers are a pain to live with due to their basic irreducable width. DG5 West Coast are just too big for most needs and the standard 71-72 (aka sport mirrors) are about useless. On your 70 the correct base mirror is a reasonable square head on a fixed arm but many people are happier with the earlier round head on the same arm.
Attached Images

Old 06-21-2013, 02:56 PM   #7
sterk44

I've seen the square and round head ones that you're talking about. I'd assume that the round would be about as good as the later sport mirrors as far as visibility. I've considered the square ones on the single arm. How would those hold up at highway speeds though? Lots of vibration?

1970 C10 LWB Daily Driver
1971 Nova
Old 06-21-2013, 03:14 PM   #8
SS Tim

Being further out I feel both are better than the sport mirrors, but then some feel a single peep is sufficent. Vibration is a factor with most any mirror and the DG4 seem most resistant. Mister B has had both round and square heads on his truck maybe we can get him in here for you.
Attached Images

Old 12-17-2013, 07:38 PM   #9
Belairbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterk44 View Post
I've seen the square and round head ones that you're talking about. I'd assume that the round would be about as good as the later sport mirrors as far as visibility. I've considered the square ones on the single arm. How would those hold up at highway speeds though? Lots of vibration?
I have those type of mirrors on my truck, square with a single arm, and the vibration is bad at any speed!
Since that arm is hollow I was thinking about melting some lead fishing weights
and filling it. It might help. Anyone have thoughts on trying that?
Thanks, Bob
Belairbob is offline   Reply With Quote