The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-15-2013, 08:06 PM   #1
davepl

Left my dryer disconnected

When I was assembling my AC system I took the dryer out of the box; it was capped on both ends with plastic caps. When I took them off, there was clearly a vacuum inside.

Anyhow, it's now connected but the lines are not, meaning its been exposed to the atmosphere for months. Is it useless now, and do I need to replace it?

I'm not sure if its a dessicant I dry out or what's in there... I don't know a great deal about AC.

Thanks!
Dave
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:18 PM   #2
bonnieclyde100

Re: Left my dryer disconnected

if its been open that long i would change it out for a new one
bonnieclyde100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:29 PM   #3
Bigdav160

The modern A/C desiccants do not absorb moisture from the air.

I visited a small manufacturing plant that made dryers/accumulators and was surprised to see the desiccant bags just sitting in bins, so I asked.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:32 PM   #4
Longhorn 70

Pull a vacuum for a day or so. Blow in half a can. Vac it again. This has worked well for me in the past. A factory mechanic showed me this in the R12 days.

And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. Gal 6:9
Longhorn 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:58 PM   #5
buddylee

Putting the system into a vacuum will be perfect. The dryer will be fine. I'm an air conditioning guy by trade so we do this all the time
buddylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:09 PM   #6
hugger6933

Hook your pump up to it pull it down and let it sit if no leak right off go ahead and leave the vac on for a couple of days. of course the a/c guys had told you before I finished typing
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:27 PM   #7
alsriv2

Location: Formerly MD and San Diego, now loving life in Arizona

Buddylee and Hugger6933 have nailed it. Put it under a vacuum for a couple of days and it will be fine. I used to work in a manufacturing plant where we assembled AC parts for army helicopters. We took the newly manufactured filter assemblies and actually baked them in a vacuum oven for a few hours to make them dry. Put caps on and shipped them out.

2012 Ram 3500 Dually Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins
2014 Palomino Columbus 340RK 5th wheel
'69 Chevy C10 396BB
alsriv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 04:31 PM   #8
davepl

Thanks! When you say put it in vacuum, is that some kind of state of the whole system or do I just plug one side of the dryer and use a vacuum pump on the other side (the kind you'd use to bleed brakes, etc).
Old 12-16-2013, 04:47 PM   #9
Longhorn 70

I'd connect the dryer and pull a vacuum on the entire system. If the vacuum holds you know the chance of leaks is low. It will also boil all the moisture out. If your dryer was disconnected, the rest of the system was also open.

And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. Gal 6:9
Longhorn 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:38 PM   #10
davepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn 70 View Post
I'd connect the dryer and pull a vacuum on the entire system. If the vacuum holds you know the chance of leaks is low. It will also boil all the moisture out. If your dryer was disconnected, the rest of the system was also open.
Thanks. Dumb question, but where would a guy that doesn't have specialized AC tools hook up to the system in order to pull a vacuum?
Old 12-17-2013, 05:46 PM   #11
Andy4639
Old member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
Thanks. Dumb question, but where would a guy that doesn't have specialized AC tools hook up to the system in order to pull a vacuum?
There should be shrader valves on the lines with blue caps. These are low pressure side fitting to hook to.
No specialized tools needed for this.

(1) Heating System

Heat is a byproduct of the engine's combustion process. The coolant, or anti-freeze in your car’s radiator absorbs the heat. The coolant is then circulated through the heater core before returning to the radiator. The heating system also includes a series of air ducts, a blower motor and fan, and temperature and duct controls, which select the desired temperature and direct the flow of warm air.

(2) Compressor
This is a pump that pressurizes and circulates the refrigerant through the system. The compressor builds the pressure of the refrigerant up, close to 250 pounds per square inch (psi).

(3) Condenser
The condenser is located in front of the vehicle's radiator. As the refrigerant flows through the condenser, it gives off heat and converts from gas to liquid. This is where heat from the cabin is transferred to the ambient, or outside air via the refrigerant.

(4) Receiver/Drier or Accumulator
This is where clean, dry refrigerant is stored as it circulates through the system. The receiver/drier has a filter and a desiccant, similar to that in your pill bottle, to remove moisture from the refrigerant. It is a good idea to change this filter anytime this sealed system is opened for repair.

(5) Orifice Tube or Expansion Valve
This is a metering device that controls the flow of refrigerant through the system.

(6) Evaporator Core
The evaporator is like a 'tiny radiator' with refrigerant flowing through it, instead of anti-freeze. Warm air from the cabin is drawn into the evaporator box by the blower motor and pulled over the cooling fins of the evaporator. Heat from the cabin air is absorbed through the cooling fins and into the refrigerant. Moisture in the air condenses on the evaporator fins, drips down into the evaporator box, then runs out a small drain under the vehicle. The cooled/dehumidified air is then circulated back into the cabin.

How the a/c system works.

Air conditioners and refrigerators work the same way. Instead of cooling just the small, insulated space inside of a refrigerator, an air conditioner can cool a whole car or house.

Air conditioners use chemicals that easily convert from a gas to a liquid and back again. This chemical is used to transfer heat from the air inside of the car to the outside air.

The system has three main parts. The compressor, the condenser and the evaporator. The compressor mounted on the engine and is powered by the engine via a belt. The condenser is located at the front of the car to take advantage of air coming toward the moving vehicle. The evaporator is located inside the cabin of the car under the dash near the firewall.

The working fluid arrives at the compressor as a cool, low-pressure gas. The compressor squeezes the fluid. This packs the molecule of the fluid closer together. The closer the molecules are together, the higher its energy and its temperature.

The working fluid leaves the compressor as a hot, high pressure gas and flows into the condenser. If you looked at the condenser, look for the part that has metal fins all around. The fins act just like the radiator in the car and helps the heat go away, or dissipate, more quickly.

When the working fluid leaves the condenser, its temperature is much cooler and it has changed from a gas to a liquid under high pressure. The liquid goes into the evaporator through a very tiny, narrow hole- the expansion valve, or orifice tube. On the other side, the liquid's pressure drops. When it does, it begins to evaporate into a gas.

As the liquid changes to gas and evaporates, it extracts heat from the air around it. The heat in the air is needed to separate the molecules of the fluid from a liquid to a gas. The metal fins on the evaporator help in the exchange of thermal energy with the surrounding air.

By the time the working fluid leaves the evaporator, it is a cool, low pressure gas. It then returns to the compressor to begin its trip all over again.

Connected to the evaporator is a fan- the blower motor, that circulates the air throughout the car and over the evaporator fins. Hot air is lighter than cold air, so the hot air in the car rises toward the roof of the car.

There is a vent there where air is sucked into the air conditioner and goes down ducts. The hot air is used to cool the gas in the evaporator. As the heat is removed from the air, the air is cooled. It is then blown into the car through the air ducts.

This continues over and over and over until the vehicle reaches the desired temperature. The thermostat senses that the temperature reached the right setting and turns off power to the a/c compressor clutch. This stops the compressor from circulating the refrigerant. As the cabin warms up, the thermostat returns power to the compressor clutch so the compressor begins to turn, again circulating the refrigerant through the system.

Air conditioning tips:

* For maximum cooling: Park your car in the shade during the day and leave your windows open slightly to let cooler air into your car. When your car is parked in the sun during the summer, temperatures inside the cabin can reach 200º Fahrenheit. By parking in the shade your car will not have to cool the air in the passenger compartment (cabin) from such a high temperature to a temperature that is comfortable to you.

* For maximum cooling: When starting out, if the car has been sitting in the sun and is very hot inside open all windows with the air conditioner on and wait until the air inside is a little on the cool the side before closing the windows. By doing this you are not having to rely on the air conditioner alone to bring the temperature down.

* For maximum cooling: Set the system to "re-circulate." This shuts off hot air from the outside, so your a/c is cooling the cooler air from inside the cabin as the air conditioner runs. The system will cool much more efficiently than when set to other settings which draw hot and humid air inside the cabin. This will bring the temperature down faster and keeps out unpleasant air for example, when the car ahead of you that has smoke coming out the tailpipe.

* For maximum cooling: Use the lowest possible fan speed setting. This slows the movement of cabin air going through the evaporator. The slower the air moves through the evaporator, the more time the refrigerant has to "soak" the head out of the air and, the cooler the air coming out of your a/c vents.

* The cooler your car is inside when you turn on the a/c the quicker the heat transfer is achieved to the desired temperature. To keep it cooler when parked, park in a parking garage, use a windshield sun-block and keep your windows cracked open slightly to allow hot air to escape.

* During the winter run your air conditioner 5 or 10 minutes once a month to circulate the oil through the system. Windshield defoggers in many modern cars activate the a/c compressor to dry the air before it is warmed by the heater core and routed to the windshield. You probably won't have to worry about turning on your a/c in the winter if your defroster automatically turns on the a/c system in your car.

* Keep leaves out from under the hood, and under the wipers where the fresh air intake vents are. The leaves can block air flow and get into the evaporator, where they will rot, mulching up and blocking the evaporator drain. This causes condensation to build up and overflow onto the front floor boards of the car. Poor condensation flow over long periods can cause the evaporator to corrode and eventually leak, allowing the refrigerant to escape. To correct either of these problems the evaporator box may have to be removed. This is a very expensive job.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:48 PM   #12
Hubscrub
Cruzin

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
Thanks! When you say put it in vacuum, is that some kind of state of the whole system or do I just plug one side of the dryer and use a vacuum pump on the other side (the kind you'd use to bleed brakes, etc).
this is a vacuum pump that is made for ac, you need a charging manifold (gauges) hook up the high and low side and hook middle yellow line to the pump to pull it down.
Attached Images

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote