The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-12-2015, 07:37 AM   #1
mygirlz55

Pics of stock steering

Looking for pics of your solution for using the stock steering column in a camaro clipped 55.2-59.
Can it be done? What is needed to make it work?
Have stock bench seat and stock steering column.
If this is impossible to do, then I guess I'll have to go with a later column.
Would like to use what I have for now to make it drivable.
Thanks
mygirlz55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 09:31 AM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Pics of stock steering

I haven't done it but I think several on here have.

Basically it involves cutting the shaft and tube off the steering box. shortening the tube to the desired amount exposed to the inside of the engine compartment. cutting the shaft to the right length and then modifying the end of the shaft so you can fit a Ujoint or DD shaft on it. You also have to put a bearing in the end of the tube to support the shaft. That's the condensed version.

I've been thinking about seeing if I could use the shaft out of a later (mid 70's) non tilt column in the early column to have the right bottom end to easily bolt on a U joint without all the work on the early shaft. The collapsible shaft from the later car or truck could easily be adjusted for length. a little mix and match fitting and you could use the bottom bearing off the later column.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:37 AM   #3
mygirlz55

During a trip to the local wrecking yard I found a non tilt non automatic column from a 76 chevy pickup. Not very original looking but it could work. If I do the original column I could keep it stock looking.
If I only have to do those few things with the stock column and shaft I think I'll go that route. I'm sure someone will post some pics soon.
Looks like I just need to know what joint is needed to connect the two together?!?!
Old 07-12-2015, 01:24 PM   #4
mr48chev

What I was thinking was just using the shaft out of the later column and not the whole column. I don't have a junk early steering gear to cut up and play with at the moment though.

I've got the column out of a 4 speed 70 model Pickup that I wrecked that I plan on using in my 48. clean with no clutter and a small top end with no shift handle and no key. It does have a steering shaft setup that may be an issue because it has a Ujoint just below the end of the column and that connects to the shaft that runs to the rag joint so I will no doubt have to do some mods to the setup to get it to work.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 02:53 PM   #5
mygirlz55

This is the camaro intermediate shaft that I'm looking at being able to connect to the trucks stock steering shaft. Just to give an idea of where I'm going with this.
Attached Images

Old 07-12-2015, 04:17 PM   #6
mdpaulson1

I have done it in my 56 with a Mustang ll front, I like the stock look better then using a junkyard donor for my truck. The stock column support can be used, along with the stock turn signal set up. I was looking for simplicity and function. Mr 48 gave the answer that was the easiest and cleanest way to go., I got my bearing support for the end of my newly cut steering column at classic(?) or one of the other suppliers on the internet. I left the shaft long enough to grind it to put a DD coupling on it. I have 3 joints ( had to get around the motor mounts) with a support on the longest shaft. If you want, I can photo it and post later
Mark
mdpaulson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 04:57 PM   #7
1958Warrior

The famous Lux Blue Thread shows how to do it and I believe gives a part# for the bearing needed , Page 1:
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/t...ne-day.148978/
1958Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 08:41 PM   #8
mdpaulson1

Quick google search of column savers shows Ekers and Tuckers parts house both carry them. on the left is the column saver, or bearing and the red item is the shaft support
Attached Images

mdpaulson1 is offline   Reply With Quote