The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-19-2016, 02:37 PM   #26
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: Oil filter adaptor leak

Just make sure the adapter plate isn't cracked causing the leak. I had that happen years ago on my old 283, and the oil filter fell off the engine and fried the crank bearings before I realized I had a problem. I was lucky and just swapped in another .010 under crank with new bearings and it worked fine, but it was pretty scary.
Old 11-21-2016, 05:20 PM   #27
Figuarus

Mark, i'll double check the plate, but it doesn't look like that's the source of the leak. Im pretty sure it's just the O ring. I have the transdapt o ring on order, but won't be able to get to it for a week or so. Going out of town. At this point i'm just happy you guys got me the info i needed and pointed me in the right direction!

thanks again guys, i'll post an update when done.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:47 AM   #28
Figuarus

Ok...so this is a HEAVILY overdue update.

Because of my wife and I being in a Bankruptcy and losing my job and having to convert our case and winter, Hotdog had been sitting idly by while our case gets discharged. There was a real possibility that I was going to lose my truck.

Anywho...on to the update

I ordered the trans-dapt O-ring, and the WIX number previously mentioned. Both rings failed to FULLY seal the leak as they were both square-cut rings. I had to resort to using silicone to fix the leak. This too, failed. Partly because I'm sure I didn't let it cure completely.

In the end, I pulled the plate again and cleaned it completely off and made sure there was NOTHING left at all. I ended up finding a 90 x 4 mm round metric o-ring from my local hardware store. It had to stretch a tad to get onto the plate ridge, but it stayed in place without requiring any kind of silicone.

As of today, hotdog is back up and running. I'll be driving him to my new job tomorrow.

Thanks for all your help guys!
Old 03-11-2017, 10:56 AM   #29
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

That is good to hear, on both the truck and job!

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 12:50 PM   #30
65chevysub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figuarus View Post
JT, well the center nipple will move a little bit in either direction, but there is no give beyond 1/4" turn in either direction. I'm afraid of damaging this stupid thing.

I checked the WIX o-ring, but it's too thick to fit this particular adaptor. You can see the smallness of the gap between this setup and what i originally posted.
Thats the issue Im having. The nipple spins. Once I get the filter on I crank it as tight as I can by hand only. I did have the filter fall off twice because of the adapter and nipple. Luckily no engine damage. My 283 is from a 63 Biscayne
65chevysub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 12:53 PM   #31
Figuarus

Is your adaptor like the bottom picture or top?
Old 03-11-2017, 03:50 PM   #32
65chevysub

Mine is like the one that has 2 bolts holding it on. It's a Mr. Gasket brand I think.
65chevysub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 05:33 PM   #33
Figuarus

Ok. Get the plate off first, and see how far you have the threads going into the adaptor. There is a bypass plate under the outer filter plate. If you get that nipper loose, use some blue threadlocker to keep it in place. Make sure to LET IT DRY.

Once that happens, you should be able to install the new gasket and the leak should be gone.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:50 PM   #34
Badbowtie_1

Talking Re: Oil filter adaptor leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figuarus View Post
OK, so searching didn't turn up the info I need, so here goes.

I have a pretty big oil leak coming from the housing ABOVE the oil filter on my 283. I have searched high and low, and cannot seem to find a part number for the o ring that seals the adaptor to the block. See attached picture.

I have searched on rock auto, napa, autozone, lmc, classic industries, oreilly's, etc, and have had zero luck finding that seal.

Do any of you know what the correct search term is for this part, or perhaps have a part number I can reference?

I can't drive Hot-dog until this leak is fixed.
These seals can be bought from Napa or GM. the big seal ...is in the box with new canister filter. 6 bucks at Napa 12 at GM (prices may vary). the square rubber seal is also included with canister filter. throw out filter use the gaskets lol. the gasket is the same from the canister style as the one that comes with adapter kit... or buy new adapter that comes with new seals for 30 bucks if you need the entire unit. GM part number for pk of 10 large seals is 5573980 ....53 Canadian bucks or about 5 bucks for singles Not sure of Napa number .I have this seal on my 58 283 and it works for me . I have only found the small seal in box with new cartridge and have only changed it once .seems to last longer... but 6 -12bucks is better then no gasket. if you need lots of them... GM is the way to go. hope that helps. cheers

Last edited by Badbowtie_1; 01-07-2018 at 09:14 PM.
Badbowtie_1 is offline   Reply With Quote