The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-25-2006, 08:06 AM   #1
wakeboarddrumma

Is it worth it?

Alright, as some of you know i have a 68 C-10 fleetside. It has a pretty good paintjob as it is but this past week it has been in the shop to get a check up. So here is what it must have done now:
Brake canisters are leaking, and new pads are needed

new steering rods, and it'll need to be realigned after that

New gears in the steering (I guess this is closer to the steering wheel)

I believe thats all, but it might be more.. but all that is going to be 800$

That doesn't sound bad, but heres the kicker..
Thats just the stuff that MUST be done now. Apparently there is roughly 1200-1500 bucks worth of stuff i'll need to have done later, which is a lot of gaskets, the timing belt etc.. I think what i am going to do with stuff is get them to make a list, and then replace what I can, by myself. The reason i say that is because the labor is killing us for them.

So whats your take on it?
Thanks Chad
wakeboarddrumma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 08:13 AM   #2
al's71gmc
4 eyed fever

Re: Is it worth it?

Alot of shops will write out a "fishing list" of things that need doing. Back in Ohio I used to take my fleet vehicles to Procare and seldom left without them telling me I needed 1K worth of repairs. Pick and chose. Repair what you can yourself. Decide for yourself what "has to be done". Don't let them scare you into spending your whole paycheck with them every time you go in for a checkup. My .02- Al
1972 GMC Sierra Grande 1/2 t 4x4-#1 son's truck. Recently completed resto.

4 YO daughter," Daddy, I like your truck better than Mom's." (2000 F350-ranch truck) Smart kid!!
al's71gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 08:20 AM   #3
mplex2000

Yep, 99% of shops are shady. Be careful. Above all, never use JUST BRAKES!

Also, if they're telling you that you need a timing belt, run. Your engine uses a timing chain, and there's really no way to know for sure that it needs replacing without taking off the water pump and front cover and actually looking at it, which I doubt they did ... etc etc.

Just go over their list as best you can, and look at the things they mention. Most of the time they are just replacing parts to make money.
mplex2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 08:42 AM   #4
wakeboarddrumma

Thanks for the information guys. My parents trust this shop way more than i do. And they did say timing chain, but i am used to it being a timing belt. Anyways, I guess i'll just get the current things fixed, and then wait for the other things.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:24 AM   #5
mbgmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplex2000
Yep, 99% of shops are shady. Be careful. Above all, never use JUST BRAKES!

Also, if they're telling you that you need a timing belt, run. Your engine uses a timing chain, and there's really no way to know for sure that it needs replacing without taking off the water pump and front cover and actually looking at it, which I doubt they did ... etc etc.

Just go over their list as best you can, and look at the things they mention. Most of the time they are just replacing parts to make money.

99% are shady? Glad I moved out of Dallas
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 09:45 AM   #6
Jerry Jones
Happy Camper

These trucks are not too hard to work on, they can be a great learning experience for someone. Ask questions from experienced people (there a lot of them here). Follow installation instructions, and take your time. Of course there will be things that you wont be able to do without buying expensive tools, so those things you might want to weigh the pros and cons.

Another thing I am not sure what your options are, but if you are considering getting rid of your truck for something that doesn't need as much work, you will probably be spending more on that ride than what it would cost to fix yours. That and you would be out one cool truck.

Good luck
Old 04-25-2006, 10:14 AM   #7
_Dick_
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER

I agree with Jerry ,maybe find someone around you that has a need to learn about repairing their truck or maybe even a board member to get you started .If you stay in trucks your going to end up learning how to repair then ,nows a good a time as ever.first i would try meeting board members around you ,they can help you alot
_Dick_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 11:36 AM   #8
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

Reading your list, I'd say you can probably do most of it yourself. Get a Hanes Manual (sometimes it is nice to have a second brand just incase you don't understand what the first one is saying) and give yourself a lot of time to work on it. Start witht the small stuff and build your confidence. Take it one project at a time so you can keep it running. Once it is parked, you might not get back into it.

Consider taking a course in auto repair or getting a video on it. It really isn't that difficult, just take your time. You many end up taking things apart a couple times at first. Find a buddy (or a board member) that might know a little more than you to help you out.
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 11:51 AM   #9
thecatseye66
'68 C-20 396 CST CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncytruck
You many end up taking things apart a couple times at first. Find a buddy (or a board member) that might know a little more than you to help you out.
I end up taking everything apart a couple times myself 'cause I'm not that smart. I call it "practice" so I feel better about myself afterwards.
thecatseye66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 10:19 PM   #10
wakeboarddrumma

Thanks for the help guys. My parents called the shop tonight and we are getting the first string done this week, and it will be done by friday if we are really lucky, but i'm not planning around it to be honest.

I got my license today, and it feels so great to be able to drive alone on the roads. I really enjoy it.

I think i'll try to fix some of the things myself when i get the money. I want to take my time with it so i don't do something wrong.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:57 PM   #11
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

the very best thing you can have when learning... is a buddy from school who knows his way around an old vehicle.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 12:51 AM   #12
rauto13
saving one more

I agree with everyone else. I have learned a lot from working on my truck. You also have a great resource of information in this board. Whenever you feel like starting on a small project, get some direction from board members and just do one small thing at a time. Seems like most of my dissatisfaction comes when I try to do too much at one time.

Good luck.
driver - 96 GMC X-cab
rauto13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 05:18 AM   #13
TugOwar

Always ask for the old parts when you go to pick it up. If they say they've already trashed it ask them to dig it out. Better yet, tell them when you drop it off you'll be wanting the old parts. Too many places collect money for labor and parts that they never even touched. My $0.02
TugOwar is offline   Reply With Quote