The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-26-2021, 10:06 PM   #1
72bigred

Hood aliment issue..

Hey all, I boggled and wanted to pick some brains.. ended up painting without aligning the hood as I was having Willie rebuild them. Now I am stuck, not my first or 10th rodeo but this has me boggled. As you can see I'm squared up with my cowl panel and things are really out of line.. if I make any attempt to fix the gap on the right side I hit my cowl panel on one end and have 5/8 gap on the other. I restore alot of abody cars and often move the core support for some adjustment but the room to move them on these trucks is limited.. anyhow here are some pics for your pondering..

Any attempt to close the gap at the cowl just adds to the nightmare up front. I at one point has her closing with horrible looking gaps. Fenders are square or at least close enough.. I can get the left side gap nice but I'm way out on the pass and against the cowl.
Attached Images

72bigred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 10:11 PM   #2
72bigred

Re: Hood aliment issue..

Attempting to keep her square with the cab/cowl gives me these gaps period. I can get decent gaps on the fenders but that throws me off at the grill and cowl. The way she looks I want to move the whole core support to the drivers side 3/8 of and inch although the perches just won't allow..
Old 09-26-2021, 10:24 PM   #3
RustyPile

I'm not a body man so maybe I'm way off base.. Have you tried adjusting the cab at it's frame mounts?? Looks like it may not be sitting square on the frame.. Also, is it possible the frame horns where the core support attaches are not equidistant from the frame centerline??
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 10:25 PM   #4
Warrens69GMC

Of all things, try popsicle style sticks. Loosen the bolts that hold the hood to the hinges add popsicle stucks to the cowl and the driver side and massage it over , slightly lift and tighten the bolts, repeat
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 03:02 PM   #5
HO455
Post Whore

Are there any aftermarket parts installed? Including hinges?
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 09:17 PM   #6
72bigred

All factory parts and factory hinges rebuilt by Willie. Fenders measure equal distance from the body, hood square to the body yet not square to the fenders.. im beginning to think the hood has a problem but it was in nice shape before paint.. maybe it had an issue but no noticeable things as it was being prepped.. the hood is the variable here in that it was purchased from another rig as mine was just to beat to deal with.

Moving with shims is a good fall back I have used a few times but I do not habe the play, she will just spring back.

Last edited by 72bigred; 09-27-2021 at 09:23 PM.
Old 09-28-2021, 03:12 AM   #7
MySons68C20

Just my gut but did you X dimension the frame? If the frame has a tweak in it that would throw off the core support which ties to the frame etc.
Little stuff below is magnified above. Try doing the X dim on the hood and see if that's out of whack.

Last edited by MySons68C20; 09-28-2021 at 03:14 AM. Reason: Added info
MySons68C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 06:55 AM   #8
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPile View Post
I'm not a body man so maybe I'm way off base.. Have you tried adjusting the cab at it's frame mounts?? Looks like it may not be sitting square on the frame.. Also, is it possible the frame horns where the core support attaches are not equidistant from the frame centerline??
I tend to think this might be the issue also. I have done some and it does not take much shifting of the cab to throw the panel alignment off. If you had the cab off for painting or replaced the mount bushing with fenders off, I think I would check the cross measurements.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 10:37 AM   #9
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

How are the core support mounts? Cab mounts can be square and you'll still be off if the core support mounts are shot.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote