The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > Heavy Haulers

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-10-2013, 02:19 AM   #1
yossarian19

C60 basics - school me, please?

So, I'm about 85 percent done with my '57 3200 Vortec 4.8 / 4L60E project. It drives, so I'm already thinking about my next project.
For reasons I can't begin to guess at, I think I may need a C60 or earlier 2-ton (ton and a half? and a quarter?) truck. A car hauler, perhaps? Tow truck? I don't know why I need this, but I think I really do. It's an illness.
I'd been thinking right off the bat "Hey, this is a great truck for an 8.1 / Allison 1000 / Rockwell axle swap" followed by "Nah, 14 bolt FF..."
But then I read that they have dual-speed rear axles & that they came with 6 cylinder engines under 300 ci.
So, what are the basics of what came in these trucks & what works & what doesn't in them? Am I barking up the wrong tree thinking big block power is going to improve one of these? Can't find much info online, been searching 1/2 the evening.
yossarian19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 03:22 AM   #2
Peanutbutter
Account Suspended

Re: C60 basics - school me, please?

Well, you are right, it must be an illness, my wife would agree with you right now. I'm up to 7 right now between 60 series and 80 series, I have bigger and heavier trucks, 2 peterbilts and one kenworth, doesn't matter cause I'll grab any 1960s C60 or 80 series I can get my hands on, I can't tell you why. I guess it goes back to my childhood when I was about 18 or 19, got my first one, a 1964 that had a small block engine, sm 420 trans and 2 speed axle up graded later to a 325 horse 396 big block which was a great improvment since I was pulling my old D4 cat around the valley which weighed 12,500 without trailer. Actually had a chance to buy it back recently after not knowing where it was for 40 years, maybe you've seen it, the yellow one with the tilt hood I bilt way back then. Its in one of my other threads, don't remember the title. What can I say, they are great old trucks and they will work their ass off for you and don't ask for much in return. Man I'm in a weird mood tonight, think I'll go to bed, good night.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:02 PM   #3
C10 - C90 Bill

Re: C60 basics - school me, please?

They are great trucks.

Originally the C-60 came with anything between a 6-292 and a 409 (mid years) and a 366 Big Block in '66.

Now, unless you want to do 70 MPH all day, I would not change the 6-292. Actually they are one of my favorite engines. But if you like V-8's, a Small Block or Big Block would do fine. Not sure about Automatics though, as I have little experience with them, mainly because every one of my trucks has to have a Clutch.

A real cool swap, one a lot of us on here would like, would be a Detroit Diesel.

Keep us posted on your plans.

Bill
C10 - C90 Bill is offline   Reply With Quote