The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-08-2016, 10:52 PM   #1
gridironkohn

What was I thinking??? Ugh

I finally got my 40/20/40 seats from shop4seats for my 85 k10. When I opened them up I was very excited! They were beautiful. Black leather with midnight blue two tone in the middle of the seats. After some modification I finally had the seats installed. But as I was prepping to install them I couldn't help but think I really messed up on ordering these. I was surprised how Beefy they were. I mean I have seen high back buckets on a standard can before and I I really liked how they looked. But never actually got to sit in one with that set up. Well once I had them set in. I took a seat and tried to get done leg room....oh ****! Not good. I felt a bit cramped. Even me at 5'9 and sbout 190. First thought was...why didn't I just go with the low backs??!!!!

Here is what it looks like

As you can see the headrest is smashed against the rear window ��

So I called shop4seats who say they have a customer satisfaction garauntee. Well they would swap the high backs for low backs. But there's a catch. I can handle the fact I have to pay for shipping the old back and again for the new but a 30% restocking fee????!!!! What the hell? That's a little crazy to me considering I put in my vehicle info when ordering stating that i have a standard cab. They not only should called me to make sure that I wanted to still order the high backs knowing it wasn't recommended for standard cabs but maybe not even allow me to process the order. I take some blame sure... I failed, but they should work with me here. Because let's be honest. They can easily still use the seats minus maybe the covers. I don't know what I'm gonna do. I paid $1373 with shipping and the mounting bracket included. No way I can eat 30%....any ideas on how to approach them to waive the restocking fee?

Last edited by gridironkohn; 04-08-2016 at 11:17 PM.
gridironkohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 11:09 PM   #2
TKCR

Re: What was I thinking??? Ugh

They do look nice. That does suck about the fit though. What about trying to sell the seats yourself, I would bet there is someone out there that would love these seats. Just a suggestion, but list them in the classified section of this forum and eBay. It doesn't hurt to try.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 11:20 PM   #3
gridironkohn

That's a thought. But I'm not sure I could get even 30% less than what I paid. I'm hoping they will work with me here. I called and talked to a "supervisor". But I won't hear back until Monday...worst part is when and if I do the swap I will have to wait 6 weeks again
Old 04-09-2016, 09:56 AM   #4
cadillac_al

That's what I have been thinking. There aren't many seats that will fit in these truck if you are over 5'5". I have been looking for years and I have a yard full of nice Cadillac seats but nothing will fit in there without losing leg room. I was hesitant about early 90's seats because I didn't think they had springs in them but they do. They are a slim design and have head protection. With low backs we are always taking a chance that we won't get rear ended. When I broke my leg years ago I had to sell my Chevy because I couldn't get my cast in there and buy a Dodge.

That sucks about the 30% restocking fee but it is probably kind of fair since they are custom made for you. I could see it on a straight return but since you are going to be buying a low back from them they should reduce it some. Maybe you could talk them into 10-15% since you are still buying another seat from them. Good luck.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:30 AM   #5
Blessed66

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac_al View Post
That sucks about the 30% restocking fee but it is probably kind of fair since they are custom made for you. I could see it on a straight return but since you are going to be buying a low back from them they should reduce it some. Maybe you could talk them into 10-15% since you are still buying another seat from them. Good luck.
I agree with this. I've handled a lot of customer service issues involving special orders and custom orders. From my experience, if you are generally polite about the issue, tell them you understand why they have a restocking fee, and just touch on you didn't have a way of knowing prior to ordering if you'd have interference with the rear window or not... you might get them to ease back on the fee.

Not saying they will, and you need to prepare for that as well, but I know I've taken care of folks in the past who have shown me the sort of behavior I'm expected to show to customers.

Just a friendly heads up, hope it works out.
Blessed66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:43 AM   #6
gridironkohn

Yeah thanks for the input guys. I'm sure it will all work out. The good thing is that the base price fir the high backs us $917. The low backs are $817. So off the top that's a 10% difference. I'm hoping i can get it down to 10-15 and it won't hurt so bad. I am very surprised they don't have you enter all your vehicle info before you are able to search for seats that fit your vehicle. Much like summit, jcwhitney, jegs etc. This would have avoided my situation from happening. And high backs would not have been an option. Reading the description now...wish I would have been more thorough it does state that theses are not "recommended" for standard cabs. But that is an understatement! I'm crossing my fingers for a good answer come Monday 🙏
Old 04-09-2016, 12:05 PM   #7
slotard

Are the backs of the low back seats that much slimmer?

Even with a seat that bolts right in (I assume it's from another square, that's what the previous owner told me) I don't have all that much legroom in mine. I'm 6'2" with a 34" inseam so tall, but not unusually so. On the other hand, I have tons of headroom.
Old 04-09-2016, 02:04 PM   #8
gridironkohn

I dont think the thickness is much different but the fact that they are 11" higher not allowing it to move back and be reclined much past the forward most setting. It hits the window too soon. Which has me worried that if I tint my windows which I plan to do. The friction from the seat would wear the film down.. because it is literally pressed against the back window
Old 04-09-2016, 04:53 PM   #9
MikeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by gridironkohn View Post
As you can see the headrest is smashed against the rear window.
Man, I never would have thought to take that into consideration, and I can see why you wouldn't have either. It probably costs you at least 2-3 inches aft movement vs. low backs, right?

Customer Satisfaction Guaranty, they say? Well, you can guaranty them these seats don't work in a standard cab truck. They definitely should have known that. I mean, it's their business for crying out loud! Blaming this all on you is not the kind of customer service that wins referrals and repeat business.

Let us know if they take care of you, and write it up in the Vendor Review forum either way. Do the same at GMSquareBody dot com.

Be sure to send them this thread if they don't step up to the plate.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!

Last edited by MikeB; 04-09-2016 at 05:09 PM.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 05:08 PM   #10
gridironkohn

Yeah I never took it into account. Which is why I'm in the predicament I am in now. Also not something you can determine so much from the spec measurements. It's more of a hands on thing
Old 04-09-2016, 05:46 PM   #11
Axle

Do they offer a thinner seat back? Had I known what I did after getting my buckets, I would have skipped on adjustable lumbar support. Never use it anyway, and it adds thickness to the seat back. Ask if they have something as thin as a mid 80's F-body seat back. (And yeah, I can see there is no adjustable lumbar on yours).

I've got a set of 85 Firebird buckets in my Nova, seatback is nice and thin (and surprisingly comfortable for what I assume is a base cloth seat since it has no extra adjustments) which would be ideal for the truck. I should try it out one day when I got enough time and bored enough to bother.

Worst case, you find a local upholsterer that'll work with you and thinning up the seat back and restitching your leather.

Alex.
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 05:56 PM   #12
gridironkohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle View Post
Do they offer a thinner seat back? Had I known what I did after getting my buckets, I would have skipped on adjustable lumbar support. Never use it anyway, and it adds thickness to the seat back. Ask if they have something as thin as a mid 80's F-body seat back. (And yeah, I can see there is no adjustable lumbar on yours).

I've got a set of 85 Firebird buckets in my Nova, seatback is nice and thin (and surprisingly comfortable for what I assume is a base cloth seat since it has no extra adjustments) which would be ideal for the truck. I should try it out one day when I got enough time and bored enough to bother.

Worst case, you find a local upholsterer that'll work with you and thinning up the seat back and restitching your leather.

Alex.
Well from what I can tell they say the low back is thinner. And with it being shorter it can recline farther back. I was thinking the same for the thinning of the seat back and possibly flattening out the back on an angle. And making the head rest thinner.
Old 04-09-2016, 06:48 PM   #13
Front Range

These are Toyota Previa Minivan seats, they might give you an idea of where a lower back will sit (minus curved headrest). They still won't allow me to have full leg extension but are comfortable enough for long drives. The curved back and bottom gives a bit more room but the seat back still touches the glass at the headrest. There isn't much room in the pickup cab to begin with though.

I looked at the same seats you bought, just couldn't afford them. They look good in your truck.
Attached Images

Old 04-09-2016, 08:03 PM   #14
gridironkohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Range View Post
These are Toyota Previa Minivan seats, they might give you an idea of where a lower back will sit (minus curved headrest). They still won't allow me to have full leg extension but are comfortable enough for long drives. The curved back and bottom gives a bit more room but the seat back still touches the glass at the headrest. There isn't much room in the pickup cab to begin with though.

I looked at the same seats you bought, just couldn't afford them. They look good in your truck.
Thanks I do like how they look. Yours look pretty damn good as well. Look comfy. I'm wondering if somehow I can achieve an angled top part to these seats.
Old 04-09-2016, 11:53 PM   #15
Titomars

Well that sucks. I was worried too as it was it took me almost a year measuring and looking at different seats. I finally went with Corbeau suspension Seats and the Corbeau seat mount kit for square body.
Mine fit perfectly slightly lower than the stock bench and same leg room a stock. I am 6-4 and 255lbs with a bad back and I fit them perfectly. oh and if you notice once i removed the sliding rear window and replaced it with a standard window the seats don't touch the window.
Attached Images

Old 04-10-2016, 12:15 AM   #16
gridironkohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titomars View Post
Well that sucks. I was worried too as it was it took me almost a year measuring and looking at different seats. I finally went with Corbeau suspension Seats and the Corbeau seat mount kit for square body.
Mine fit perfectly slightly lower than the stock bench and same leg room a stock. I am 6-4 and 255lbs with a bad back and I fit them perfectly. oh and if you notice once i removed the sliding rear window and replaced it with a standard window the seats don't touch the window.
Those look like a great fit! Damn real low. I'm jealous man nice job
Old 04-10-2016, 01:57 AM   #17
Titomars

Quote:
Originally Posted by gridironkohn View Post
Those look like a great fit! Damn real low. I'm jealous man nice job
Thanks!!! The seats are awesome to drive in, no fatigue. At my age comfy seating is very important.
Old 04-10-2016, 05:48 AM   #18
Red Beard

Those seats are nice looking, but they do look HUGE! Wouldn't work for me, 6'0" 325 lbs. Haha!
Old 04-11-2016, 11:12 AM   #19
NJ C10 Guy

I got the procar pro-90 seats. They fit well, although they are a bit high. I'm 5'10" and 205lbs. I added a Grant steering wheel and have a tilt column. The wheel is a little close but not a deal breaker by any means.

With console in place:

NJ C10 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 03:56 PM   #20
Robert8096

This is the low back 40/20/40 seats from shop4seats.

Robert8096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 04:59 PM   #21
TKCR

Those low backs are sweet!!!
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 02:34 PM   #22
Robert8096

Thanks
Robert8096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 07:10 PM   #23
Front Range

That interior is beautiful, very nice job Robert.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:15 PM   #24
gridironkohn

Nice interiors both of you guys! I wish I would have never got the high back idea stuck in my head! And Robert I got the shop4seats idea from you off of another thread. I should have copied you 😔. Still waiting to hear from shop4seats in what they are willing to do on the re stocking fees. But worst case I can live with the high backs. It's not that bad honestly. Just bugs me I'm not maximizing the room I can get.
Old 04-13-2016, 12:39 AM   #25
trixter99
I have no time for this

That red interior is outstanding but I can tell those seats would not fit me being 6-4" I think I will be doing a modified bench seat whe I get around to starting my build.
1999 Hugger orange Camaro SS
2007 BMW X5 Sport
trixter99 is offline   Reply With Quote