The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-31-2018, 06:13 AM   #1
mbzaungst

Aftermarket wiring harness

What harness are you guys using? AA looks and sounds nice but is it? Any pictures would be great help. Painless seems popular but nut the fan favorite.
mbzaungst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 07:23 AM   #2
Darthbaker

Re: Aftermarket wiring harness

I rewired my 71 with the American Autowire Classic update series kit. I've never rewired a vehicle before but this kit made it a breeze. Plus is has most of the original factory style connectors which was big plus on my list.

It took around two days total (15 hours) to complete. Keep in mind I had the proper crimpers, soldered, and shrink wrapped every connection. Everything worked first try after the project was done.
Darthbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:46 AM   #3
DjS71

I used a universal one from AAW on a buddy's datsun 510. Didn't have any problems that weren't caused by retro-ing a GM harness into a positive ground japanese car. No experience with painless or ron francis but we were happy with the AAW kit.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:15 AM   #4
Jason Banks

Having used both the AAW and the M&H ... I prefer the M&H. The AAW front light harness was twisted to put it in the bag and I had a hard time straightening it out. I don't recall having any problem like that on the M&H. The AAW also had to much of whatever black sealant they put on the firewall connector.

Someone else can tell you the story, but apparently whoever owns AAW split off from M&H. They were brothers?
Jason Banks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 10:39 AM   #5
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

I've used both AAW and M&H as well. Prefer the M&H. The M&H front light harness and engine harness in my 1972 GMC was a plug and play with all the correct clips, connectors, retainers and wrapped with the correct "tape". Also came with the plastic wire channels to go along the firewall gutter and between the radiator and core support. Got them from Wes at Classic Heartbeat.

Painless is anything but...

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 10:44 AM   #6
TheRocket

We used the 28 circuit Painless Performance. Bought their PowerBraid wire loom and Easy Install Tool to make it easier to put the wire in the loom. We are very pleased with all of it.
TheRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 06:17 PM   #7
novapower

We installed E Z wiring in both our old cars.They both went in easy and one has been working for 12 years .when we get another project we'll install ez wiring again
novapower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:42 AM   #8
Zeroman

I installed a Painless harness in my truck 19 years ago. It took two weekends, but I tend to work deliberately.

Soldered and shrink wrapped every connection.

Just finished a 3 1/2 year frame off and removed/installed the same harness.

I made some modifications which required some re-wiring, but it was pretty simple. Swapped out to LEDs on all of the side markers and front turn signals. Also installed the upgraded headlights which required the relay harness.

19 years ago there were not as many options available, but I cannot discount the fact that it is still gong strong without any issues.

And remember, Grounds are your best friend.
Zeroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 12:13 PM   #9
jeffahart

You need to make some decisions about what you're doing with the truck. You just want replacement, or are you doing custom stuff with lots of accessories. I used the classic update, in that you ditch the ammeter and external voltage regulator. I'm pretty sure it's setup for points or HEI too. Read at their site, AAW has all the instructions posted on their site in PDFs. I'm not an evangelist or anything, but the kit was complete and was actually a fun upgrade... beer drinking busy work. I liked the kit a lot.

Get: good wire strippers, crimper, assorted heat shrink sizes, loom tape, assorted zip ties, and firewall grommets, and I did a fair amount of soldering too.

Have fun!

j
Old 08-01-2018, 12:26 PM   #10
shoveldug

Very Happy with M&H. Bought through GMC Paul.
shoveldug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 01:54 PM   #11
cypressbog
Go Pack Go!

My choice, and the first choice of many restorers, was M&H.
cypressbog is offline   Reply With Quote