The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-15-2018, 09:51 AM   #1
old51sedan

Question Air & heat

Are there any sponsors/vendors that most of you are buying your Air Conditioning from? Are most of you buying yours locally or sending for it and installing it yourself. I just got a quote for about 1400.00 for a vintage air unit, is that in the ball park?
old51sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 10:01 AM   #2
davepl

Re: Air & heat

I think it begins and ends with Vintage Air. I've never owned one of their setups, but it's the way I'd go personally.

I've never heard anything but good about them, and people aren't usually very kind. Now imagine a product like an AC retrofit that's hard to do and it's a wonder people don't trash them constantly, but everyone seems to love 'em!

I'd do my own, but not much scares me. If you're not into cutting your firewall and gutting your dash and modifying pulley arrangements and adding compressors, then you might want to have a shop do it. I'm actually on the fence. I know a guy who has done a dozen, so it's tempting to lean on him for it.

BUT FIND A SHOP THAT HAS DONE MANY. Don't let some joker learn on your truck.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 10:34 AM   #3
morepwr

Vintage air. I have one in my truck and also have a unit in a Cutlass. It could not work any better and it fit great.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:51 AM   #4
68 P.O.S.

Has anyone heard of, or used these guys? https://www.restomodair.com/shopprod...te-a-c-system/ I've been looking at their setups for quite awhile, but I have a lot of other more important things to do to the truck first, so haven't pulled the trigger yet.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:05 PM   #5
old51sedan

Well, like I stated my truck is stripped including the dash with exception of gauges which is no big deal. I figure it would be a good time rip out the heater & etc. and to drill holes for the air vents. I've never installed a system, but I'm up for it. Thanks for the reply.
old51sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 04:21 AM   #6
F.A.A.benny

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 P.O.S. View Post
Has anyone heard of, or used these guys? https://www.restomodair.com/shopprod...te-a-c-system/ I've been looking at their setups for quite awhile, but I have a lot of other more important things to do to the truck first, so haven't pulled the trigger yet.
They are classic Auto Air's premium brand. I use to work for CAA so I've talked to the guy who runs it a few times. They have a following on Instagram. Have also seen them at one of the power your stops.
F.A.A.benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:20 AM   #7
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: Air & heat

Original Air Group is who I use. The unit's fit and they will make a old GM unit like new again if you want to send it to them.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:38 AM   #8
davepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by old51sedan View Post
Well, like I stated my truck is stripped including the dash with exception of gauges which is no big deal. I figure it would be a good time rip out the heater & etc. and to drill holes for the air vents. I've never installed a system, but I'm up for it. Thanks for the reply.
That's the perfect time. I don't think the systems are super complicated but it's hard to get access to some areas, but if you've got it stripped down, all the better!
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote