The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-19-2020, 10:13 PM   #1
blap

wtb 55/56 GMC BBW shortbed

Looking for a project truck.
blap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 10:36 AM   #2
dsraven

Re: wtb 55/56 GMC BBW shortbed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=724460
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 01:40 PM   #3
mr48chev

It may depend a lot on how far you are willing to travel or pay shipping on.

From what I have seen of Task Force trucks in this area I would not buy one sight unseen and would at least ask on the group if there was anyone close to one you are interested in to look at and take photos of it. It needs to be someone who will nitpick the truck and point out any and all faults though. I did it for one of the guys on the board a few years ago and he ended up buying a pretty decent driver quality truck and having it shipped across the country even though he could have flown out and driven that one back.

This one to me is way over priced but the paint looks several years old and no rust is showing on the cab or nose It is in Portland Oregon. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...code=undefined
I'm kind of thinking the yellow one used to be a long bed truck that someone shortened the frame on and got projectitus.

Personally, I'd be checking FB Marketplace and Craigslist in a radius from home of the distance I was willing to travel to go get a truck and haul it home. Better to spend a couple hundred on a wild goose chase to look at a truck that you decide you don't want rather than buying one and having it end up being junk.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.

Last edited by mr48chev; 11-21-2020 at 01:58 PM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 04:48 PM   #4
blap

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
It may depend a lot on how far you are willing to travel or pay shipping on.

From what I have seen of Task Force trucks in this area I would not buy one sight unseen and would at least ask on the group if there was anyone close to one you are interested in to look at and take photos of it. It needs to be someone who will nitpick the truck and point out any and all faults though. I did it for one of the guys on the board a few years ago and he ended up buying a pretty decent driver quality truck and having it shipped across the country even though he could have flown out and driven that one back.

This one to me is way over priced but the paint looks several years old and no rust is showing on the cab or nose It is in Portland Oregon. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...code=undefined
I'm kind of thinking the yellow one used to be a long bed truck that someone shortened the frame on and got projectitus.

Personally, I'd be checking FB Marketplace and Craigslist in a radius from home of the distance I was willing to travel to go get a truck and haul it home. Better to spend a couple hundred on a wild goose chase to look at a truck that you decide you don't want rather than buying one and having it end up being junk.
Thanks so much for the info!
Old 11-23-2020, 03:01 PM   #5
daveshilling

https://visalia.craigslist.org/cto/d...235597812.html
daveshilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 06:33 PM   #6
blap

Daveshilling Thank you!!!
Old 12-08-2020, 04:05 PM   #7
blap

ttt
Old 12-08-2020, 04:09 PM   #8
dsraven

so> you're a proud owner now?
nice.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 10:17 PM   #9
_Ogre

ca may be a long ways from ct, but your not gonna find anything that nice east or mid country

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 01:37 PM   #10
57tailgater

You may consider looking on facebook. There are a couple of 55-59 Chevy/GMC truck groups on there where you may find what you're looking for.
57tailgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 08:58 PM   #11
joedoh

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...19513456513519

long bed, but being a step side that would be easy to fix. hits all the other buttons though, GMC, 56, BBW, looks reasonably complete and has all the important gmc bits on it. 12k though, is that a good price? no idea.
Attached Images

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 01:19 PM   #12
mr48chev

That black one may not be worth 12 K unless a guy was going to restore a GMC big window to stone stock it sure does have the right trinkets and if that body is as good as it looks in the photos that means a lot of money not spent having the body repaired. A bit of pay me now or pay me later there. If you are planning to go 350, big block or LS you are paying a lot of money for the Pontiac Based engine and hydromatic that you may never get back.

A pair of Mar-K bed sides and running boards and some shortening on the frame would take care of the long bed/ short bed thing. From what i have seen there were far more big window GMC long beds around than short beds at least in the area. When I lived in Texas in the 70's most of the 50's and 60's trucks were short bed because those guys were about 20 years ahead of the rest of the country for having a pickup as a daily driver and letting their wife keep the car at home.

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 01-08-2021, 04:10 PM   #13
blap

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57tailgater View Post
You may consider looking on facebook. There are a couple of 55-59 Chevy/GMC truck groups on there where you may find what you're looking for.
Thanks
Old 01-08-2021, 04:14 PM   #14
blap

Quote:
That black one may not be worth 12 K unless a guy was going to restore a GMC big window to stone stock it sure does have the right trinkets and if that body is as good as it looks in the photos that means a lot of money not spent having the body repaired. A bit of pay me now or pay me later there. If you are planning to go 350, big block or LS you are paying a lot of money for the Pontiac Based engine and hydromatic that you may never get back.

A pair of Mar-K bed sides and running boards and some shortening on the frame would take care of the long bed/ short bed thing. From what i have seen there were far more big window GMC long beds around than short beds at least in the area. When I lived in Texas in the 70's most of the 50's and 60's trucks were short bed because those guys were about 20 years ahead of the rest of the country for having a pickup as a daily driver and letting their wife keep the car at home.
Agreed nice truck!!!
Old 01-09-2021, 03:05 AM   #15
joedoh

Quote:
That black one may not be worth 12 K unless a guy was going to restore a GMC big window to stone stock it sure does have the right trinkets and if that body is as good as it looks in the photos that means a lot of money not spent having the body repaired. A bit of pay me now or pay me later there.

no kidding. a big window rust free 55-59 cab is worth a LOT, LMC sells them for 11k, just as a bare cab. not saying its rust free, but t sure looks good.

add up all the stuff that truck has, the trim, the grille, all the glass, and it all looks pretty good too. I bet 12k would be a bargain by the time you put a rusty cab together and found all the parts.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 02:52 PM   #16
mr48chev

I sold a very rusty 57 GMC big window long bed 3/4 ton with a very wimpy 283 and powerglide for 350 about ten years ago. Mom's boyfriend had bought it from one of his kids years before and she ended up with it and although great looking from about 200 ft that truck needed rust repair on every panel. The back window and chrome grill and bumper an dash parts were worth more than I sold it for though.

Unless the photos are really deceiving the value in the black one is in what you don't have to do or hunt down and cash greenies may talk on it. Some potential buyers aren't going to get past the sitting on stands with no wheels and tires but that might mean a bring you own rollers barganing tool too.