The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-31-2016, 10:23 PM   #1
rusty71

Fuse Panel PNL LTS

Okay, so I've searched the forum over and over again. There has been a ton of useful information I have found, that has lead me to this question that I haven't found, so I'm hoping someone can help me out or at least dumb it down for me. lol Here is my problem, the usual turn signals, brake, fuel gauge, high beam indicator all have power going to them but my gauge lights themselves Do Not work. I have checked the ground it appears to be good, I checked the connector at the gauge cluster and all of them are getting power, except for #12 on the connector the gray wire. So I immediately go to recheck the fuse panel for power, it has a new fuse but no power running to the PNL LTS at the fuse panel. I did also check the headlight switch as well for rotating it from bright to Dim. Maybe the coil on the switch is burned out. I have checked most everything just short of the Ohm's on the switch itself because I didn't know where or what spec it should fall into. So my question is What wire supplies the fuse PNL LTS with power? Does a hot from the headlight switch power it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Posted via Mobile Device
rusty71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 02:32 AM   #2
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: Fuse Panel PNL LTS

You instrument lights power comes from the headlight switch via a 16 gauge dark green wire. See the diagram. This wire feeds the fuse pane PNL LTS fuse and goes to the cluster plug to pin 12 on the idiot light cluster and to pin 8 on the gauges cluster. Check both sides of the fuse for power and to whichever pin on the cluster plug is applicable. Headlight switch must be on.

Name:  Headlight Switch 1.jpg
Views: 2008
Size:  56.4 KB

Name:  Copy of Cab-1web panel lights.jpg
Views: 3060
Size:  101.1 KB

Note the dark green wire next to the words Panel Lights

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 02:46 AM   #3
rusty71

Thanks for the reply and diagrams, I will trace the dark green wire back tomorrow afternoon once I get time. So the green wire feeds the #8 as well as #12? Because I believe I have power at #8. I also checked both sides of the fuse panel, and neither side of the PNL LTS fuse had power. I'll let you know what I discover when checking the green wire.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:12 AM   #4
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty71 View Post
Thanks for the reply and diagrams, I will trace the dark green wire back tomorrow afternoon once I get time. So the green wire feeds the #8 as well as #12? Because I believe I have power at #8. I also checked both sides of the fuse panel, and neither side of the PNL LTS fuse had power. I'll let you know what I discover when checking the green wire.
More specifically the green wire feeds the PNL LTS fuse. The gray wire from the fuse feeds the cluster plug at pin 8 or pin 12 depending on the type of cluster you have. If you have no power on the fuse then the green wire is open or the HL switch is defective. I.E. the variable resistor or the switch.

74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Old 02-01-2016, 05:06 AM   #5
rusty71

Gotcha, thank you for answering my question. I have the simple cluster with 3 holes speedo, fuel, and turn signals etc... I'll trace that wire back and see if I find anything wrong, if not maybe my problem will be simple as headlight switch. The dome light works but the click from the rotation isn't real positive so maybe it was due to be changed.
Thanks for your help.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:55 AM   #6
chiefcfd

Welcome to the board rusty71. You will find a wealth of information here. Hope you get this figured out. When it comes to electrical VetteVet is the man.
chiefcfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:43 PM   #7
rusty71

Thanks cheifcfd, I see your local to Western, Ky as well do you ever attend the Holley Hot Rod Reunion? VetteVet I have pretty well narrowed the problem down to being the coil on the headlight switch. I check out the fuse panel with a test light today. As I would rotate the switch to dim the fuse panel would have power going to it, I would rotate it again and it would lose power. When I roll the switch to full brightness of the guages it lost power. So being that I have LEDs that aren't dimable looks like the switch is my problem, guess I couldn't see the regular dash lights with normal bulbs because it was just to dim when the switch was sending power. I forgot to test the gauge cluster connector at pin #12 when I had power to the fuse panel so I'll do that tomorrow. As of right now I full believe my problem lies within the switch itself.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:42 PM   #8
rusty71

Headlight switch has sloved my problems, LED dash lights working and look great. Thanks for the help VetteVet
Old 02-09-2016, 12:15 AM   #9
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty71 View Post
Headlight switch has sloved my problems, LED dash lights working and look great. Thanks for the help VetteVet

That's what I like to hear.

74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Old 02-13-2016, 10:32 AM   #10
slikside

Subscribed.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:56 PM   #11
preciador6

Subscribed
preciador6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 09:55 PM   #12
preciador6

Why are the browns hooked up to the baby blue?
Attached Images

Old 08-24-2016, 10:51 PM   #13
dmjlambert

You would have to tell us. That is not part of the stock wiring. Somebody has tapped into the headlight wire, to give headlights power or to give power to something else from the headlight switch.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:38 AM   #14
preciador6

P.O. did it ...it's the brown stock wire for the parking lights and licence plate light that should be hooked up to that switch...Having problems with signals and front marker lights they wont turn on...Also i dont have power on the fuse for pnl lights and my light switch looks new.

Last edited by preciador6; 08-25-2016 at 09:47 AM.
Old 08-25-2016, 12:08 PM   #15
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciador6 View Post
P.O. did it ...it's the brown stock wire for the parking lights and licence plate light that should be hooked up to that switch...Having problems with signals and front marker lights they wont turn on...Also i dont have power on the fuse for pnl lights and my light switch looks new.
The PO jumped the two brown wires into the blue wire because he didn't know that the orange wire to the headlight switch powers those two as well as the panel lights. Check for power on the orange wire at the HL switch with the key off. It comes from the fuse panel.

Here you can trace the orange wire from the fuse panel to the headlight switch.

Name:  Cab-2-web.jpg
Views: 1914
Size:  104.5 KB

Placing the diagram in post 3 side by side with this one would line up the orange wires and show how they feed the headlight switch, the dome light and the brake light switch.

If you have power on the orange wire at the headlight switch then there is no power going to the terminal for the front and rear lights. The brown wires were scabbed into the blue wire to get power to them just like dmjlambert said.

You may have other issues with your signal lights, such as bad grounds or blown bulbs.

74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Old 08-26-2016, 01:26 PM   #16
preciador6

OK thanks guys.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:23 PM   #17
preciador6

There is no power on the orange wire at all.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:56 PM   #18
preciador6

Po also cut orange wire going to brake light switch and pluged it in to hot wire...also if i turn the emergency switch on,only the front side and bumper lights go on.plus i got no brake lights.
Attached Images

Last edited by preciador6; 08-26-2016 at 10:02 PM.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:55 PM   #19
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciador6 View Post
Po also cut orange wire going to brake light switch and pluged it in to hot wire...also if i turn the emergency switch on,only the front side and bumper lights go on.plus i got no brake lights.
It looks like he spliced it into the cigarette lighter wire which would be hot from the fuse panel except that it doesn't look like he spliced into the hot wire from the fuse panel.

The diagram below shows how the orange wire gets it's power from the battery.
The red wire that comes into the fuse panel from the four way junction is connected to the battery and the alternator and the ignition switch. It feeds the three fuses in the fuse panel that are hot with the key off.
The stop light switch fuse is where the orange wire is connected, that in turn feeds the brake light switch the dome light, and the headlight switch.

What your PO did is wire around the fuses which is a good way to burn up the harness or worse. Your best bet is to correct the hack job and wire the truck like it was meant to be.

Name:  Copy of Copy of diagram2.jpg
Views: 1457
Size:  94.2 KB

74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Old 04-28-2020, 07:20 PM   #20
Mr3Speed

If the orange wire was dead, no power whatsoever what would one do to get power there?
Mr3Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 07:46 PM   #21
dmjlambert

Normally you would clean the fuse contacts and replace the fuse that provides power to the orange wire. Use a test light or multimeter to find what the problem is and to test the fuse.
Old 04-28-2020, 08:37 PM   #22
dmjlambert

Also, exactly where on the orange wire makes a difference. If you are not talking about right where the orange wire comes out of the fuse box, there are connectors under the carpet that could have problems.

Last edited by dmjlambert; 04-28-2020 at 09:34 PM. Reason: clarity