The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > Welcome Area

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-20-2017, 12:46 PM   #1
ken4444

Hello from Texas

I have made a few posts here so it's probably a good idea to do an introduction.

I've spent the last 6 or 7 years working on my 1985 Jeep CJ to "restore" it by making it a reliable daily driver and bringing it back to a more stock appearance. Rather than a frame-off restore, I worked on various projects one by one and kept the thing on the road for the most part, except for large things like painting. I've pretty much gone over every part of the Jeep, sometimes more than once.

Now I want to do a frame-off "restore" of a C10. I put "restore" in quotes because that means different things to different people. Right now my goal would be to fix all of the cosmetic and mechanical problems and build a to build a reliable daily driver. I don't intend to bring the truck back to its exact original perfect look, but I don't intend to chop it up or highly customize either. Ideally the truck will get a rebuilt 383 and 700r4, air conditioning (I live in tropical Houston, Texas), a thorough going-over of every part, an original looking interior, new body sheet metal where needed, and new paint. I would consider a 2/4 drop since the whole truck would be apart anyhow. I don't want a show-quality truck full of chrome, but I would put some money and effort into the cosmetic aspect.

I haven't yet bought a C10 so I am still looking. I got the word out to my in-laws who live out in the country, so they're looking as well.

I am comfortable doing basic mechanic work and body work, and I think a C10 would be a great next project.

I have considered buying an already-restored truck, but I want the pride of doing the work myself, and knowing that I have gone over every inch of the thing.

I owned a bone-stock black extended cab 1992 Chevy C1500 Silverado 5.7 for 17 years and regret selling it when the transmission crapped out at 183,000 miles. I wish I still had that truck. The engine still ran as strong as the day I bought it. Knowing what I know now, I could have put in a rebuilt transmission for a reasonable cost and could still be driving that truck today. Being in Texas the truck had zero rust, was garage kept most of its life, and was still clean and shiny. Even the original R12 air conditioning was working fine, needing only a bit of Freon and compressor oil after 14 years.

Last edited by ken4444; 01-20-2017 at 12:55 PM.
ken4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 12:35 AM   #2
rctrooper1

Re: Hello from Texas

Welcome, from so tx!
rctrooper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 10:40 AM   #3
ken4444

Quote:
Originally Posted by rctrooper1 View Post
Welcome, from so tx!
thanks!

I've been reading the forum from time to time. The build threads are always super informative. In particular, this is a great one that has plenty of followers:
"Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky 67 Step"

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=563833
The guy goes precise work for sure. I think every forum has a build thread where the work is top-notch like that.
Old 02-02-2017, 11:11 PM   #4
jsbgump
Gone Fishing

Welcome to the board from North Texas
Build Thread

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post3483616
jsbgump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 10:11 AM   #5
ken4444

Thanks! The Chevy truck parts catalogs have been showing up in my snail mailbox. Once again I am reminded that buying any vehicle is really just buying a bunch of parts at once. Some Chevy truck parts may be cheap, but the cost adds up if you need. For example a bunch of interior parts or many exterior trim parts are going to potentially cost more than I paid for truck.