The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-10-2012, 12:06 PM   #1
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Lets talk body/frame swapping

Overview:

I think that I'm becoming certifiably insane; I need a new daily driver, and was looking to spend up to about $17-19k (late model used). I checked out some H3's since they had room, were 4wd, looked cool, and got almost 23mpg. But thats a lot of money (I buy all cars cash only, payment up front) and would mean that I can't buy a new welder this year....or get more tattoo's.

On the OTHER hand, I could start another build. Sure, my 66 isn't 100% done yet...but its done enough for now. So then I figured, I could just build a classic truck, with some diesel power. I need room tho...so I have to build a CC, XC, or sub/panel truck. But these are damn rare in whole condition.

SUMMARY;
I have contemplated finding (or fabbing if I have to) body and putting it on a 90's turbo diesel 2500 Chevy frame. I know that body mounts will have to be fabbed etc. Anyone done this or thought about it? Ideally, its a way I can build a non-exitant diesel powered 4wd vintage truck, on a modern HD frame.
I can tow my other baby around, look cool, and get near 20mpg diesel.

thoughts? (keep the 6.5td bashing to a minimum, not all of them were GREAT, but for efficiency and reliability they are hard to beat for the cost)

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:08 PM   #2
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

Re: Lets talk body/frame swapping

this suburban was installed on a 2002? chevy duramax frame... frame was shortened, all 2002 wiring and computer were utilized
Attached Images

jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:12 PM   #3
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

this crew cab was built on a 90's chev frame and floorpan... (notice the front wheels in the wrong spot...)
Attached Images

jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:55 AM   #4
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Those are both sweet, I'd love something like that.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:30 AM   #5
1964c-10

yes i have thought about this and plan on doing something similar for my next build.
my plans so far are a
cummins, maybe duramax
5 speed,
dually,
a 60-66 body,
newer chevy interior

i'm not sure yet if i want to use a dodge chassis and splice the cab floor and firewall or if i want to use a GM chassis and start from scratch

dont worry, when i told my dad about this plan he thought i was off my rocker
1964 C20 custom cab, long fleetside bed, big back window, 4 on the floor

Disclaimer- anything posted is only based on my personal experience, opinions, and advice given by others. There are no implied or written warranties or guarantees with anything posted on this website.
1964c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:05 AM   #6
krazy_texan

for me at some point in the future even though it is not a 60-66 i plan on putting a 47-54 GMC body on a late 80's - early 90's s10 4x4 chassis, probably going to put a fuel injected small block in it and drive the crap out of it but i have 2 more projects lined up first so that one will be a little while. but you said you need room so i would find yourself a panel or a burb.
1990 v1500 suburban
1967 Ford f100 Swb 4x4 "green bean"

GOD BLESS JESUS, JOHN WAYNE, AND THE ALAMO
krazy_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:35 PM   #7
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

I"m considering earlier trucks too. If I could find a 2dr delivery to put on a the newer frame I would....so what if it looks a little like the grave digger

Anyone have links to builds on any of these?
I'm totally capable of modding a frame, but I need to know what I'm facing if I do this.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:41 PM   #8
jimmydean

A Duramax swap is by far the way to go. Get a Chevy roller and drop a body on it. So worth the effort.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:45 PM   #9
Rich 5150 69

Here ya go.....not mine...
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/2789063270.html
`68 Dart 370/904/323 suregrip
Rich 5150 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:43 PM   #10
joedoh

the guys I know who bought a diesel to get good gas mileage are sorely disappointed, because the fuel has about a .80-$1 higher cost. That means you could have a gas truck that gets ~15mpg and it would be directly comparable. where diesels excel is in loaded mpg, my brother says his gmc duramax/allison gets 18mpg whether he is just driving to work or towing 8k lbs. just an FYI, heard it from several "gotta get a diesel" guys they were disappointed, doesnt mean you will be.

and if you body swap, keep the firewall and systems intact, I used the whole firewall and floor on my 65 body swap. Made it super easy to keep the systems like HVAC intact. I went about getting good mpg in the opposite way though my 4 cylinder yanks it around just fine though.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:23 PM   #11
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

the thing is, diesel prices fluctuate much less with the market...and with a continued rise in oil prices diesel SHOULD hopefully be a bit more stable because of commercial markets. Speculation obviously, as I'm not an oil analyst lol.

Anyway, my reason is a "because I want to and it would be cool"....and I figure that if I'm going to do it, a diesel is unique and may provide a level of economy that a large displacement gasser may not.
My thinking is as such. I want and need a decent sized vehicle because of my physically size and the desire for at least some cargo/bed space. I' need to move parts etc for my 66, and eventually might need to haul the truck itself. Since I can't find what I like, it actually might be more cost effective to just build it...keeping a cool truck (body at least) on the road and out of the scrapper, and giving me a cool daily. \

I guess what I need to find out also is....how much can I do this for? Sure it'll cost a bit, but the majority will be labor and the diesel truck to start. Hmmmmmmmmm.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:30 PM   #12
kpc01

sorry to bring this back to the top, but I have an '02 1/2t suburban sitting in my shop that I'm using the 5.3 out of for my 64 Suburban. I've been toying with using the new frame. anymore details on the 2002 above?

I can shorten the wheelbase and the width looks to be within an inch. any insight or more details from anyone?
kpc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:04 AM   #13
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

4x4 burb or no? If its not, than just swap the drivetrain stuff. From what I can find, you have to fab body mounts, and most likely have a slight body lift to account for the different "kicks" in the frame. I'm not sure if the burbs are a "flat" frame, if so it makes it easier.

If they are both flat frames I don't think it would be all that bad. Fab some body mounts, using a combo of the old ones and some plate. Get some DD joints and shaft and make the new run for the steering shaft. Rewire the harness to remove alot of the BCM stuff, and emissions, get the ecm flashed to match. Throttle cable or dbw wiring, and then stuff like the new brake lines/converting the master cyl etc. It would be a project but could be cool.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:47 AM   #14
mknittle

Hi all, I am new to this side of the board.I uasualy hang out on the 47-59 side
I just acquired eniugh parts ot start building a 72 dovrolet. I have a1990 dodge cummins 2 wheel drive 3/4 ton pickup. My dad bought a 1990 4 wheel drive for the frame and engine {he is building a mid 1940s Peterbilt pickup}. Any way He gave me the trans mission transfer case and axles drive lines and all the hangers and brackets that he won't need. And I have almost enough 67-72 parts to do a compleat build.
The plan is to swap the 4wd running gear to my 2wd then a71 cab and bed parts from 3 beds. It looks to be almost a bolt together.All I will need to fabracate is body mounts and a cross member. I am going to start a build thread soon.

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:00 PM   #15
mknittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
the thing is, diesel prices fluctuate much less with the market...and with a continued rise in oil prices diesel SHOULD hopefully be a bit more stable because of commercial markets. Speculation obviously, as I'm not an oil analyst lol.

Anyway, my reason is a "because I want to and it would be cool"....and I figure that if I'm going to do it, a diesel is unique and may provide a level of economy that a large displacement gasser may not.
My thinking is as such. I want and need a decent sized vehicle because of my physically size and the desire for at least some cargo/bed space. I' need to move parts etc for my 66, and eventually might need to haul the truck itself. Since I can't find what I like, it actually might be more cost effective to just build it...keeping a cool truck (body at least) on the road and out of the scrapper, and giving me a cool daily. \

I guess what I need to find out also is....how much can I do this for? Sure it'll cost a bit, but the majority will be labor and the diesel truck to start. Hmmmmmmmmm.
True, and dont forget that in 400,000 miles the gas enging goes through a lot of tune up parts. A cummins dosen't have sparkplugs ignition wires or even glow plugs. And you can get a lot of hp and good milage.

My GMC build.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:00 PM   #16
mknittle

Quote:

True, and dont forget that in 400,000 miles the gas engine goes through a lot of tune up parts. A cummins dosen't have sparkplugs ignition wires or even glow plugs. And you can get a lot of hp and good milage.

My GMC build.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:22 PM   #17
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mknittle View Post
True, and dont forget that in 400,000 miles the gas engine goes through a lot of tune up parts. A cummins dosen't have sparkplugs ignition wires or even glow plugs. And you can get a lot of hp and good milage.
Gas prices and diesel prices have trended equally lately because the base petroleum is the same. I show a .35 cent increase in gas since last year and diesel went up .34 cents.

And with the difference in per gallon prices, I could buy new spark plugs and wires every week.

Not arguing or trying to convince any one, just dispelling some rhetoric that always comes up when this is discussed. Diesels last longer between rebuilds, that's absolutely true. I would buy a diesel Jetta in a heartbeat but like the trucks you pay for the savings up front in the purchase price.
Posted via Mobile Device

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:45 PM   #18
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Fuel is priced by the BTU now so it kinda kicks diesel owners in the nuts from a savings perspective. When diesel was ~30-40c cheaper AND you got better mpg that it really added up.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:06 PM   #19
mknittle

What happened to the body swap thread

My GMC build.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:07 PM   #20
mknittle

Quote:
Fuel is priced by the BTU now so it kinda kicks diesel owners in the nuts from a savings perspective. When diesel was ~30-40c cheaper AND you got better mpg that it really added up.
Sounds like we need a vespa

My GMC build.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:39 AM   #21
GMC Sub4x4

This is my 87 Suburban frame shortened 15" for my 61 Suburban
Attached Images

GMC Sub4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:32 PM   #22
Dewey Clines

Did you have to narrow the frame as well as shorten it 15". I have a 65 Burb that I would like to update with a 1988 two wheel drive 454 one.
Posted via Mobile Device
Dewey Clines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:13 AM   #23
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The '88 and up frames are completely different than the '87 and earlier frames. There are a few reasons to not swap your frame and keep your original frame, some of which are legal reasons. There are several threads here regarding swapping frames, that discuss these issues.

Yes I have done it before, and I would not go to all that work again. There is no point in it, when you can get the same results with less work and keep your original frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Clines View Post
Did you have to narrow the frame as well as shorten it 15". I have a 65 Burb that I would like to update with a 1988 two wheel drive 454 one.
Posted via Mobile Device
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:31 AM   #24
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

I hope nobody gets put out by this but.....
CaptainFab,
you could copy and save your post below and use it at least once a month.
I'm amazed how many questions get asked over and over and over and over.
And this one gets asked over and over and over and over.
You are a great guy the way you daily log in and kindly answer these questions over and over and over and over.

-Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
The '88 and up frames are completely different than the '87 and earlier frames. There are a few reasons to not swap your frame and keep your original frame, some of which are legal reasons. There are several threads here regarding swapping frames, that discuss these issues.

Yes I have done it before, and I would not go to all that work again. There is no point in it, when you can get the same results with less work and keep your original frame.
Posted via Mobile Device

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:10 AM   #25
tincan1966

I personally, would do the chassis swap. To me fabbing some body mounts is easier than swapping/fabbing the suspension parts.

BUT as,mentioned, you want to check the local laws first on the swap.
Down the road, I want to do a diesel HD truck,just not sure if Cummins, or stick to being faithful GM.
tincan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote