The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > Review Board > Vendor Reviews

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-25-2016, 11:45 AM   #1
pdawg

Herman Headers -69080

FYI- this spring I purchased a set of these headers to install on my ZZ383 crate engine in my '72 C10 Custom Deluxe. I was assured by the Hedman tech. line that there were no fitment issues, so I had them ceramic coated by a local shop that does a great job. The headers slid into place with no problems & all was good until I tried to bolt them up. The clearance was so tight I could not get many of the bolts in the holes, as the 1 3/4" tubes were interfering with the heads. I submitted pictures to Hedman & they were quick to respond & agree that there was an issue with these headers. They offered to clearance them if I sent them back, or exchange them at the parts store for a new set. Since I had invested $240 getting them coated, I decided to try some ARP header bolts ($42). It took an hour & a half but I got the drivers side on with an open end wrench, gradually turning each bolt a fraction at a time. I emailed Hedman back & explained that I was successful, but maybe they could cover the cost of the bolts, which would have been more practical & economic for both of us, given I'm way up in Canada. They would have mist certainly damaged the finish trying to clearance them & then there is the down time & shipping costs - both ways. Their response was to advise me it's not their policy to reimburse customers for these costs. These headers have great clearance for spark plug access & should have been easy to install, if not for this defect in manufacture. I could only get a 1/4" drive 3/8" socket on the four outer bolts. The rest had to slowly get eased in with a wrench. Any lesser quality bolts would have rounded the heads off installing them. So be careful if you purchase Hedmans, as their quality control is lacking - as is their customer relations!
Posted via Mobile Device
pdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 04:40 PM   #2
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Re: Herman Headers -69080

Never ever had a problem with Headman Hedders. Been using them for almost 30 years.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 05:34 PM   #3
pdawg

Re: Hedman Headers -69080r

This was my first set of Hedman's & (like I said), aside from the quality control issue (I have photos but too large to attach), they look to be a well designed set of headers. I sent them the pics & they concurred that there was definitely an issue with them. What annoys me is I made it work with the ARP bolts & they wouldn't reimburse me for the cost. It would have cost them much more to clearance them & ship them back to me. They also make contact with my fuel lines right by the frame, but I should be able to correct this when I re-plumb for the FITECH system I've purchased for it. It just seems my request was a reasonable solution for the obvious problem.

Last edited by pdawg; 06-25-2016 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Spelling
pdawg is offline   Reply With Quote