The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-26-2002, 08:47 PM   #1
70 3/4T beast

!970 Chevy Questions

I have a 1970 Chevy truck. It is not original, and I have a couple of questions regarding the suspension. Did Chevy offer a 3/4 Ton truck with a heavy duty suspension? My truck has coil springs, helper springs, AND airbags in the rear. It rides like a pogo stick with an empty bed, but does great with about 1500 lbs in it. It has been sidelined for a little while, but I'm replacing the trailing arms now and getting it back on the road. While I'm in there, I'm thinking about changing the springs in the rear. Since it sits about as high as a 4x4, and it's a 4x2, would putting standard 1/2 ton shocks in the rear a). level out the truck, and b). improve the ride. Will they even fit? Any help would be appreciated. I'd gradually like to make this more of a street truck ( a low budget, pitiful attempt of a street truc) and less of a "Beast". Idea is to lower it front and rear. None of my friends have seen a truck with suspension like this one.
70 3/4T beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 09:53 PM   #2
adamls
Gotta Startem Early

I do not think that they cam with air bags, though I have been wrong before. If it is going to be strictly street then look into Early Classics C20 Conversion with lowered suspension. Remove the air bags and helper springs go to lowered rear springs. Here is the link.

http://www.earlyclassic.com/catalogpg12.html
Old 09-26-2002, 10:22 PM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

H.D. springs...yes. If it is listed in your glovebox, then you probably have them.
Helper springs.. Yes, they do not harm the ride in one bit. They don't even come into contacat untill you have 500 or so punds in the bed.
Air Bags, no, not stock. I would leave them in what ever springs you instal, that way you can run deflated as daily driving, and then inflate them when it is time for your truck to go play truck.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 11:01 PM   #4
Scrub
Collector of rusty Items

You ask about standard 1/2 ton "SHOCKS" ? did you mean springs?

Anyway, I thing Longhornmail has it right. Remove the overloads and leave the AirBags. Also check the coils to se if they are "Normal" and not some extra heavyduty locomotive springs.

Good luck
72 K-20 project, 456 Dana60 front, Corp14 rear w/locker, 265R19.5 tires 20-ply. Warn 12k winches both ends, Cross-over steering with raised tie-rod, Powerbox steering, 4500 watt 120-AC power, Air, Hydraulic aux power, 4 inch lift, 5000 lb air-bags both ends.
Scrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 05:50 AM   #5
70 3/4T beast

Yeah, I meant springs. I must have been thinking about saying I was replacing the shocks, too. I figured since we were going to be replacing the trailing arms, this is the time to change out the rear suspension components , too.
70 3/4T beast is offline   Reply With Quote