The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-22-2016, 05:48 PM   #26
phillipm

Re: Lower Control Arm Drags Ground after drop

Oh wow. What size tire are you running front and back?
phillipm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:38 PM   #27
SkinnyG

Wait. My math is drunk. I ran the calcs three times, and got the same answers. But I see now I did 255/50R15. Big difference there. Oh well.

I was wrong.

I run 235/70R15's up front - that is 28" tall.

Your 255/60R15 is 27" tall. That's only half an inch lower in ride height. You're definitely sitting lower though.
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:51 AM   #28
phillipm

I grabbed some 1" springs from Switch Suspension instead of the 2" springs. Going to swap those out tonight and see where that puts my LCA's. I'll report back.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:35 PM   #29
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
Porterbuilt makes a tubular a-arm that accepts a coil spring.
But that won't help.
This crossmember saddle is still the mounting point for all tubular a-arms as well.
Ground clearance will be the same.
The OD of the bushing barrel is slightly smaller & the tubing attaches @ the barrel center so some clearance is gained (not much but some).

Phillipm, if the portion of the a-arm below the bushing is 2.75" off the ground but hitting on moderate suspension compression, there isn't enough spring rate (prob fatigued springs). I would do new Moog BBC springs trimmed to height for some additional spring rate (or Hotchkis drop springs) & quality stock length front shocks.

Are the bump-stops still in place? Keeping them in after trimming them slightly helps prevent too much compression. Keeping them in also helps keep taller tires from buzzing the tops of the inner wells.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 07-25-2016 at 02:44 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 04:14 PM   #30
Tom
driving is in my blood

Just realized we live in the same place. My entire lowered suspension experience is here in Mesa. Either your hitting bumps wrong or the springs you used are too soft. I've used eibachs and western chassie again with no issues. I've used stock and doestch tech shocks as well. I also ran 255/60/15 tires. Something just isn't adding up.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:12 PM   #31
phillipm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Just realized we live in the same place. My entire lowered suspension experience is here in Mesa. Either your hitting bumps wrong or the springs you used are too soft. I've used eibachs and western chassie again with no issues. I've used stock and doestch tech shocks as well. I also ran 255/60/15 tires. Something just isn't adding up.
Tom, can you do me a favor? Can you measure your arm to the ground at the lowest point? I've found that most who don't have any issues are at least 3.5-4" of clearance.

I don't really feel i'm hitting the bumps wrong. Just going down the road any whoop in the road will bury the control arms into the ground. In fact pulling into my house (rolled curb) will grind the arm on the ground. If that means i'm doing it wrong then I guess I can't live like that. We drive our vehicles all over the country and I need to be able to trust that I'm not going to be on the side of the road because a wicked bridge leader jumped up and tore off an A-arm. I'm using the same springs many others have, and the shocks seem to be in good condition. I'm not surprised i'm hitting though. 2.75" of ground clearance just isn't enough. The Mcgaughys stuff was supposed to be good stuff from what I understand? Going to put the 1" higher springs in tonight and I also need to C notch the rear. I don't even have the 31 gallon tank full yet and it's just about resting on the frame! Maybe 2" of travel and it bangs into it a lot.

Thanks for the input. Maybe we can meet up some time. Our shop is in downtown Mesa.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:14 PM   #32
phillipm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
The OD of the bushing barrel is slightly smaller & the tubing attaches @ the barrel center so some clearance is gained (not much but some).

Phillipm, if the portion of the a-arm below the bushing is 2.75" off the ground but hitting on moderate suspension compression, there isn't enough spring rate (prob fatigued springs). I would do new Moog BBC springs trimmed to height for some additional spring rate (or Hotchkis drop springs) & quality stock length front shocks.

Are the bump-stops still in place? Keeping them in after trimming them slightly helps prevent too much compression. Keeping them in also helps keep taller tires from buzzing the tops of the inner wells.
These are brand new 2" drop springs from mcgaughys. So unless they were heat treated incorrectly they should be good? I'll have to check if the bump stops are still there. They very well could be completely gone from the PO. Thanks for the tip!
Old 07-25-2016, 08:11 PM   #33
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbc10 View Post
you can raise it up or get some lower control arms
Lowered control arms will only make matters worse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipm View Post
These are brand new 2" drop springs from mcgaughys. So unless they were heat treated incorrectly they should be good? I'll have to check if the bump stops are still there. They very well could be completely gone from the PO. Thanks for the tip!
I'm going to speculate the springs are too soft. Mcgaughys quality has seen a sharp decline over the pat few years and I will bet the springs are your problem.

My suggestion is to remove them and cut (not heat) your stock coils. As Scoti mentioned a proven method is using big block springs cut down if you dont have your stock coils.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:21 AM   #34
phillipm

I put the new springs in tonight and it raised the front of the truck 1.25". I now have 4.25" at the LCA. Hopefully this will work now! I don't have stock springs so if these still do not work I will try out the BBC springs as you guys suggested. Now I just need to grab another set of leafs from my buddy and raise the rear accordingly. I think it will still look pretty good.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 07-26-2016, 08:15 AM   #35
mongocanfly
Post Whore

That will look good..and you might avoid a c notch by lifting the back to match the front..
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:04 PM   #36
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

The front spring hanger on the2wd k5 is lower by quite a bit if I remember right.
Would a C10 hanger get what you need.
Old 07-26-2016, 12:10 PM   #37
phillipm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KQQL IT View Post
The front spring hanger on the2wd k5 is lower by quite a bit if I remember right.
Would a C10 hanger get what you need.
You know I'm not sure. That could be something I could look into if I need to fine tune it? At the moment the PO pulled some leafs out of the original pack but I just am not sure which one(s). I don't have the fuel tank full and I still don't have the spare tire in the back yet. So I definitely don't have the spring rate I need. I've got my QA1 shock pretty much full stiff to keep it from banging the frame on every bump. Looking forward to backing those off some once the rear is where it needs to be.

I do want to install a helper bag kit so I can tow with this truck once it's completed but I really don't want to rely on that for my everyday ride height.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:44 PM   #38
Tom
driving is in my blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipm View Post
Tom, can you do me a favor? Can you measure your arm to the ground at the lowest point?
Sorry dude but the truck is in storage and I won't be able to get to it for some time.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 11:36 AM   #39
phillipm

No worries.
Old 08-01-2016, 02:43 PM   #40
phillipm

Just an update to this thread. With the new front springs and my extra leaf added to the rear I'm super happy with the results. I'm kind of inclined to lean towards the spring rate not being right on the first set of springs as these don't dip nearly as much it seems. However my tires also no longer rub so all in all I'm super happy with the results.

Old 08-01-2016, 02:54 PM   #41
mongocanfly
Post Whore

That looks good..glad you got it "squared" away..
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 03:17 PM   #42
Mr.Chevy4x4

Glad you got it straightened out, and it looks great to boot!

Mike
Old 08-01-2016, 03:24 PM   #43
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Still looks perfect!

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 01:17 PM   #44
phillipm