The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-06-2024, 10:12 PM   #1
pontiacvince

Starter/ignition issue

I am having an issue that has just started. I got in my '71 and started it and the starter stayed engaged. I turned it off and tried to restart, and there was nothing. Went out and tapped on the starter housing and it eventually started and I drove home. Tried to restart, and the starter engaged with the key in the "On" position (not the start position). Did that repeatedly. Just replaced the starter with a new one with new solenoid. No change. Still engages the starter with the key in the "On" position. Could this be the ignition switch or something else I'm missing???
pontiacvince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 04:26 PM   #2
HO455
Post Whore

Re: Starter/ignition issue

Try putting the transmission in drive and see if it happens. If not then take a good look at the connector on the starter switch. They are a known failure point.

If so then you have some wires shorted together after the neutral safety switch and before the solenoid.

And ignition switch failures are pretty common especially with some of the parts sold today. For more ignition switch information see this thread.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=818861

And as I said on the truck side "Let us know what you find."

With more information I came to a different conclusion here. It may be that both the starter and the switch are/were bad at one point
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 08:43 PM   #3
pontiacvince

After replacing the starter/solenoid and still doing the same thing, I pulled the switch (new) from the dash, checked all wiring, etc. All good. Then I took the bakelite off the back of the switch and you could see carbon build up between two of the contacts. I was told that the aftermarket switches have a problem because they are too close together and eventually arc across. I cleaned all the carbon buildup out and used a small file to widen the gap. Cleaned it again, and then filled the gap with some super glue. Works perfectly!!!
Old 02-12-2024, 08:53 PM   #4
Getter-Done

Good News.

Thanks for Sharing the Fix.
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 08:57 AM   #5
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiacvince View Post
After replacing the starter/solenoid and still doing the same thing, I pulled the switch (new) from the dash, checked all wiring, etc. All good. Then I took the bakelite off the back of the switch and you could see carbon build up between two of the contacts. I was told that the aftermarket switches have a problem because they are too close together and eventually arc across. I cleaned all the carbon buildup out and used a small file to widen the gap. Cleaned it again, and then filled the gap with some super glue. Works perfectly!!!
Great work! Any chance you took some photos? I'd like to add them to the ignition switch thread I started.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 08:21 PM   #6
pontiacvince

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
Great work! Any chance you took some photos? I'd like to add them to the ignition switch thread I started.
I ordered a new switch from LMC and got it AFTER I had already fixed the other one. I snapped these pics from it. The two COPPER contacts that are too close together are visible on one side. A small file to open that gap slightly is all that is necessary. As I said, after it is opened up and cleaned, a small amount of super glue was used to fill it in. Be sure NOT to get the super glue on the contacts and let dry thoroughly.

CAUTION: The small brass contact has a small spring underneath. Be very careful when disassembling!!! The brass contact goes as shown.
Attached Images