The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-13-2023, 05:02 PM   #1
celcius232

Reproduction Fleetside Bed Recommendation

I have searched the forum and read a lot of older threads on reproduction beds. Does anyone have any recent experience on their purchase and recommend a vendor and manufacturer--Woodall, Dynacorn.....? There are no decent local replacement long beds for my 72 C10 so I am heading towards a reproduction. Thanks.
celcius232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 07:00 PM   #2
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Re: Reproduction Fleetside Bed Recommendation

The crazy prices just "Ok" long and short box original steel is going for these days I also think reproduction is a much more viable option. From some recent threads it sounds as though the repro pieces for our trucks are getting much better. Look forward to hearing from folks that have done this recently.

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 09:02 PM   #3
LS short box

When I did my 68 C10 I bought aftermarket box sides, front panel and wheel well housings. They fit well. The box sides needed the normal skim coat of filler, block sanding, then a coat of poly spray filler and block sanding. Then a final coat of 2K primer and block sanding. Lots of elbow grease that a local body shop was happy to let me do all the block sanding.
Attached Images

LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 09:11 PM   #4
georgieb51

A few years ago I needed a new steel bed floor for my short wide bed. Upon the recommendation of a board member I found the best deal from Summit Racing. Shipping was excellent, It was shipped upright on a long pallet and look like a large pup tent. I wish I could remember the brand of the metal but it was bought on Washington State and shopped to me out of Virginia which I think was the headquarters for one of the big importers. The best new is that the fit was near perfect. I only had to widen one short slot to let a side piece fit in. A few weeks ago I installed the bed on the truck frame and all the bolt holes lined up perfectly. I am very pleased that there is some good reproduction stuff out there.
1967 Chevy K10 Short Stepside, unrestored original.
1969 GMC CST (Longhorn) 396, buckets, unrestored.
1995 GMC K2500, 65,000 miles, 454.
georgieb51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 09:42 PM   #5
LS short box

I went with a Georgia southern pine wood floor. Light stain and epoxy sealer.
Attached Images

Old 06-15-2023, 01:11 AM   #6
Accelo

I can't tell you the manufacture, I didn't keep records, but the fit where the tail lights went in was the only issue with my replacements.
The backing was too far in and required spacers behind them to fit the lights to the correct depth.
I guess it's only something to watch for? Could easily be measured with calipers and compared to the factory box.
The back up lamps fit too tight but worked.
If you think about it a lot of parts converge at the tail light area including the tail gate.
Drilling the holes for the tail light bezels was a real PITA.
A lot to go right or wrong in this area.
Accelo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 04:35 PM   #7
LS short box

I chickened out on drilling the large bezel clip holes. I added two small holes to the bezel like the ones already there. Dimpled them and used stainless small screws to hold the bezel on. Sorry no pics.
Old 06-15-2023, 11:18 PM   #8
sfont66

I don’t have experience with a complete bed kit, but as far as bedsides I have purchased 2 sets since 2016.
The AMD/key parts/tri plus bedsides purchased in 2016 were for a long bed.
They fit good with the original sheet metal front panel, wheel tubs, and steel floor. They were a bit wavy but not bad. The reverse lights and taillights were tight but I was able to make them fit. The 1 thing that bothered me was that the inside of the bed and stake pocket area was not spot welded like the original.

The next set was shortbed sides from Woodall purchased in 2020. They are much straighter, fit was good, and the inside of the bedside and stake pockets are spot welded like the original. Again the reverse lights and tail lights were tight .l would buy them again.

Perhaps the AMD sides have improved.
Just a couple things to consider/look out for.
Attached Images