The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-17-2018, 01:27 AM   #401
AJCK87

Re: 1963 GMC C30 panel truck

More on the panel today.

Got the drivers side door seal in and door hung. Front diff service, calipers and pads, rubber and hard line brake lines in the front. New tie rod ends. Got the body to frame ground strap installed. Also got the truck fired up again and topped up the coolant and trans fluid.

Cheers,

Anthony
Attached Images

AJCK87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 01:33 AM   #402
AJCK87

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5BDx1ceqjA

More video

Thanks Frank for the help today! You rock
Attached Images

Last edited by AJCK87; 06-17-2018 at 01:39 AM.
Old 06-25-2018, 04:46 PM   #403
AJCK87

Hey Guys,

Bit more on the panel this weekend. Also, It was the first drag races for the year up here on the North island. Had to bring Isla out, turns out she loves loud and fast cars.... o no hahaha.

Here’s a few pics
Attached Images

Last edited by AJCK87; 06-25-2018 at 04:54 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 04:48 PM   #404
AJCK87

It was a beauty day!
Attached Images

Old 06-25-2018, 04:51 PM   #405
AJCK87

Also got to work on the windshield frame, there were a few holes, as suspected, from the few pin holes I could see above the seal on the drivers side.

Patched and ready for glass..
Attached Images

Old 06-25-2018, 04:54 PM   #406
AJCK87

And we have glass! The presision seal fit awesome and the new windshield looks great!! Freshened the front end right up.

Thanks Darren for the install! I learned a lot
Attached Images

Old 12-05-2018, 01:27 PM   #407
AJCK87

Hey Guys,

Not sure if anyone is still interested in my build around here.

Had a good 4 month break, as I now have moved down island, yay! I’m in new house now, with a little garage to boot! Pretty happy about that.

Anyways, I finally got the panel moved down from Port McNeill a few weeks ago and off to a new shop, last one didn’t work out, to get my drive line all in order. I was able to get away from the house this past Monday and get the front bearings repacked and the new top king pins installed. They were sure on there! The specs asked for 600 ft/lbs of torque and required that I beat on the snipe extension on my 3/4 drive breaker bar! Going to keep on plugging away here until it’s on the road.
Attached Images

Old 12-06-2018, 01:03 AM   #408
350TacoZilla

If it wasn't for you bumping this I might not have seen your build man. Its looking good! You don't see many 4x4 builds really and even out of the 4x4's very few of them are 3\4-1Tons. I might have missed it but when you said about the precision seal fitting nice is that a new windshield too or did you get lucky and have a really nice one?
350TacoZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:42 PM   #409
AJCK87

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350TacoZilla View Post
If it wasn't for you bumping this I might not have seen your build man. Its looking good! You don't see many 4x4 builds really and even out of the 4x4's very few of them are 3\4-1Tons. I might have missed it but when you said about the precision seal fitting nice is that a new windshield too or did you get lucky and have a really nice one?

Thanks! Yeah it’s a new windshield, I can’t recall the manufacturer, but it shipped from a local parts place and came to me all in one piece so I was pretty happy! Yeah it is a trim less Persison seal. All in, I’m into the windshield, seal and install for 700 Canadian! Again pretty happy with that.

I want this rig to be a can do machine, I’m building it to use. It will replace my 1997 GMC k1500 once its up and running. I want to be able to take it out hunting, tow the camper trailer and the family around.

Thanks for the interest, I’m back on to it now so more progress to come
Old 12-07-2018, 06:52 PM   #410
350TacoZilla

Sounds good man. I plan to make my truck a do all type of build too, haul firewood\pull car trailer\maybe camper etc. Living in MD I might even throw a plow on it if I find one cheap since my 4x4 frame already has mount for a old style meyers plow.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:03 AM   #411
AJCK87

Sounds awesome! Would like to see your rig with the plow hooked ups

http://youtu.be/IvkfRml4fCY

Hey guys,

Took the old girl for a little bit of a drive around today!! Felt pretty good, still have a smile on my face!

Got the brakes all plumbed and juiced. All the drive line work to happen.

Stay tuned for more.

Last edited by AJCK87; 12-11-2018 at 12:08 AM.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:05 PM   #412
AJCK87

Hey Guys,

Picked up the panel from the shop yesterday, got to drive it home!
All of the suspension and alignment are all done. Here are a few pictures in behind the new house. Still loads of things to button up, but it felt pretty good cruising down the highway home.

Have a good one,

Anthony
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2019, 07:55 PM   #413
AJCK87

Here are a few more pics of the the truck

Got a day in this past Monday

Worked on the stop light issue, those work again. Got the old air hearted wired in and functioning, air con to come. Adjusted the headlights. And worked on getting the wiper motor wired in and functioning. The Dodge wiring didn’t jive, the multifunction switch and intermittent module don’t communicate with the old GM wiper motor I guess. Tried a bunch of configurations there and no dice.

I then tried a straight shot from the fuse box, ran a wire from the fuse box to a three position switch one of the ends, then a wire from the middle section of the switch to one of the two leads off of the motor and the other motor lead to ground. When o flipped the switch it would pop the fuse. Is this a multi speed motor or just a single speed? Looking to bi-pass the dodge harness and run the wipers off a toggle switch. Anyone have an idea what I’m doing wrong? Any help would be appreciated

I’m really excited about how the truck is turning out, just driving it has been a sense of accomplishment even though everything is not all functioning or working right

Thanks for tuning in guys
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2019, 11:01 PM   #414
350TacoZilla

Very cool that your getting to drive it around now while working on few loose ends, that stage of a project is a great feeling.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:05 AM   #415
AJCK87

Thanks! For sure, pretty pumped

Got some time here and there this weekend

Wiper motor is wired and working now, figured it’s a single speed motor. At least it’s functioning, may change to a multi speed motor later. Finished fabricating the wiper arms as well. Used a mix of the panel, dodge and 2007 Suburban wiper arms. I wanted a stronger spring and washer sprayers on the arms. Started mounting the washer reservoir.

Here are a few samples of fabric I’m choosing from for the seats. Going to use a green and white combo of vinyl with on of these fabrics, it’s between B and G for me right now.

Stay tuned!
Attached Images

Old 01-21-2019, 01:07 AM   #416
AJCK87

Fabric and vinyl
Attached Images

Old 01-23-2019, 08:40 AM   #417
350TacoZilla

Mind spilling the beans on what combo you ended up with for the wiper arms? I had planned to do the jeep arms on mine but I do like idea of having the sprayer on the arm after having it on my yukon.

Cool colors and fabric choice's there! I remember you saying you were painting truck but dont remember if you ever said anything about the chevy hood, plan to keep it or switch to gmc before paint?
Old 01-23-2019, 09:13 AM   #418
jimmythompson1964

Can you post more information on what you ended up using for the new wiper arm? I need to do this on my truck.
jimmythompson1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 12:48 PM   #419
AJCK87

Thanks guys! Appreciate the comments

The image of the wiper back on the truck is the finished wiper arm. Both are done and back on the truck now. I used the end piece, that attaches to the spline post for the wiper linkage, from the panel wiper arm. I drilled out the rivit on that arm and the one on the 92 dodge arm. I used a stainless machine screw and bolted the mounting piece to the dodge arm, I used rubber washers for spacers in between. I used the dodge wiper arm, it’s aluminum with a steel end, as both wiper arms were facing the same direction when mounted and were to long I had to cut and turn the passengers side end piece, were the wiper blade attaches. I had to cut out two sections for each arm, retaining the bend at the end, and weld it back together. I then used the fluid sprayers and tubing from a 2007 Suburban wiper arms. I drilled the bracket, in the 2007 arm, that holds the first of two sprayers in place and drilled out the rivit in the center of the dodge arm, I used another stainless machine screw to replace the rivit and fasten the bracket from the 2007 arm. The 2007 arm has a small drill indent in the steel part of the arm, so I replicated that on the dodge arm. The dodge arms have way beefier springs and the mounting system for the blades is a pin style so they are easy to install. I used a 15” wiper blade off the shelf and the fit and function is good so far. Haven’t tested it on the highway in the rain yet.

I still plan on painting the truck Neptune green and white two tone, one day, after I get it running and using it and saving up for the materials. I did buy a 1960-1961 GMC hood, thanks Nik, needs metal repairs, that I will get onto one day as well. For now the Chevy hood is looking good. More to come. I have been looking at auto fabrics and vinyls from SMS auto fabrics, man they are beautiful but spendy!! Especially after Canadian conversation, like 185 per yard and I’m going to need 4-5 yards of fabric and 4-5 yards of vinyl for what I’m planning and all three seats.
Any one have any good/ reasonably priced places they use in mind? Preferably in Canada

I was able to get out last weekend and get the fluid lines ran and the tank mounted, just need to get that wired in and test it out. One thing knocked out at a time

I didn’t take any in progress photos of the wiper arm build but if you need more info or specific pics let me know

Stay tuned
Old 01-24-2019, 04:47 PM   #420
350TacoZilla

Pretty good description of process TY. I mean a close up pic or two of your work wouldnt hurt anything lol. I cant help on the interior hunt really other than maybe check out some marine suppliers for the vinyl atleast, those are some nice looking samples you got though so not sure if boating world will come close.

This place (usa I know I know lol) is $8.95 a yard and have a dark green that might interest you, I saved place because they have a bright orange that I might use as accent color in my build. They offer free samples but not sure on the whole canuk shipping deal.

https://www.marinevinylfabric.com/pr...SABEgKSX_D_BwE
Old 01-27-2019, 11:22 PM   #421
AJCK87

Here are a few photos of the finished wipers.
Attached Images

Old 01-27-2019, 11:23 PM   #422
AJCK87

Few more
Attached Images

Old 01-27-2019, 11:31 PM   #423
AJCK87

Got some time on the truck today. Been trouble shooting a few things. Washer fluid pump is wired in and working now, really nice having the sprayers right on the arms. Checked the wiring running to the speakers and dome light, all good, had to mess around with the wires, for the dome light, under the dash. Have the dome light wired in with the dodge door jam switches and a manual switch in the headlight control. Works awesome! Open the door, light!
Attached Images

Old 01-28-2019, 12:03 AM   #424
AJCK87

There is something going on with my stereo. I had a look at the wiring and I mixed up the battery and ignition wires into the back.... and now it doesn’t power up. Fuse is fine and there is 12v to the power pin inside, it’s a custom sound stereo for the 60-63, now there is only a few volts going to the fuse, must be something burned in between.has anyone heard of this, would mixing the wires cause this? I hope I didn’t fry it.

Anyways, got my drivers side window fixed up, the vent window was a bit close at the bottom and was pinching my window when I would roll it down. Had to reattach the window to the frame and then address the pinch. All better now. Got the handles and rollers on as well. More checked off the list
Old 01-28-2019, 12:44 AM   #425
350TacoZilla

hmm I wouldnt think having those 2 switched would do much since they are both supposed to be 12v hot, only difference being constant hot vs switched. Maybe in doing other projects a wire got pinched or something? also did you test both inputs to make sure both are getting 12v at the source you tapped into? I could see if you mixed up hot & ground or something.