The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-20-2015, 05:58 PM   #1
yoshi

New leads perhaps!

I've recently noticed that when driving just above tickover, foot lightly pressed on gas pedal the truck vibrates a lot & it feels as if a switch is being turned on & off really fast or like a plug breaking down. It seems ok when I press down harder on the pedal. I've fitted new spark plugs, adjusted timing & fuel mixture. It's running better & cooler but it's still there, when I looked under the bonnet in the dark there's a ring of light around the end of nearly all the spark plug caps where they meet the plugs Do I need a new set of leads? These Accel leads have only done 1100 miles. Sbc350 & HEI thanks
Old 10-20-2015, 06:09 PM   #2
tmoble

Re: New leads perhaps!

plug wires are junk. never buy anything that has the Accel name on it, they lost their way many years ago.

I have a set of Moroso Blue Max plug wires I installed on a new 327 I built in 1985. Stioll good. don't let them get up against the exhaust or let oil leak on them, I think they'll last forever. Not cheap, but do it right and they'll last the life of the car.

How are your plug wires routed? got pics? I can help you find the the right set, depends on manifolds/headers, above/below exhaust, etc.

DO you have an HEI with the male terminals?
tmoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:25 PM   #3
dsraven

on a dark night lift the hood and see if there are arcs where the spark is jumping wires. theoretically you can unplug from the dist cap end without getting zapped, but with old wires you may still get lit up. have someone step on the gas a little, like a brake stand, while you watch (from the side). sometimes a little water spray from a hand squirt bottle will help if you are having trouble finding. also look for carbon tracing under the distributor cap, check the rotor for a good contact under the cap and also for a full length of electrode on the end of the rotor. not sure what you are running for a distributor but HEI can give issues with the ground strap for the coil (under the top of the cap where the coil fits). also check the pug in for the distributor. have you checked the spark plugs for gap, deposits, colour etc?
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 01:34 PM   #4
yoshi

These any good eBay item 261452786290 ? Seller says he'll charge me $25 to ship to me
Old 10-21-2015, 03:32 PM   #5
Tiv

If you're UK based Yoshi have you tried http://www.realsteel.co.uk . Its a basic looking site and they do their business in person or over the phone (not set up for on line purchasing) but i've used these guys a few times and they are reliable if they have what you want. Having said that no idea whose leads they do lol, use them mainly for engine parts myself. Worth a try if you want them quick.
Tiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 03:39 PM   #6
yoshi

I had a look at http://www.realsteel.co.uk/section9.pdf not in any hurry just want something to last longer than 1100 miles & a reasonable price
Attached Images

Old 10-21-2015, 03:44 PM   #7
yoshi

Red leads would look good
Attached Images

Old 10-22-2015, 06:39 AM   #8
tmoble

links are easier for the guys helping you:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261452786290...290%26_rdc%3D1

The real Blue Max are about $85, these are not them. They're good though, and cheaper. Not necessarily blue anymore though.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:49 AM   #9
tmoble

here you go, this is what I do.
Attached Images

Old 10-22-2015, 06:54 AM   #10
tmoble

if you want anything done right, (insert pithy statement here.)

Those hands are my son's, mine are all old and beat up and everything.
Attached Images

Old 10-22-2015, 09:34 AM   #11
dsraven

have you checked the supply wire guage for the distributor? it looks like a smaller guage than could be used there. I think stock for HEI was 10 or 12.
try to keep those plug wires away from the headers as far as possible. like Tmoble's example, try to keep the wires bundled so they go up before going back. that way there is at least a bit of area for heat to disipate before cooking the wires. check out moroso for wire separators, they make some nice ones that won't break the bank.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 10:44 AM   #12
mr48chev

Are the connectors tight on the ends of the plugs? I've had some trouble in the past with some brands of wires where the connector didn't fit on the plug as tightly as it should.

Also some plug wire boots are stiff enough so that they make you think you have the connectors down tight on the plug but they are actually just making contact with the plug.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote