The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-24-2017, 09:36 PM   #1
jocko

Pic Request: 72 K20 Alternator and A/C belts and brackets

Have my C20 and K20 sitting side by side and scratchin my head a bit on the K's alternator bracket(s). Can someone pls post a pic of their stock 72 K20 alternator bracket and belt routing - same for the A/C side of the house if not too much trouble. Both trucks have replacement engines, trying to figure out of either PO didn't save the stock brackets. Pretty sure I know which one didn't(!) but want to confirm. Ha. I'm ASSUMING the C20 and K20 of same year used the SAME alternator brackets, etc? (if not, then it's possible I may have the correct stuff on both - both look stock, but are not the same - K20 has some extra bracing or something goin on there). I think I'm perhaps gonna be needing some brackets and a 3-groove crank pulley, but will post a WTB if needed one I see some pics for comparison. Thanks in advance.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 11:21 PM   #2
72chevynut

Re: Pic Request: 72 K20 Alternator and A/C belts and brackets

Jocko, all the stock K20 V8 alt. brackets I've seen is the normal 3 bolt (2 mounting bolts plus 1 alt mount bolt) lower bracket with the upper adjustment arch piece on top. I have found two different size arches in past. It's mounted on the left (drivers side) front of head. Same as other stock setups on C10, C20, K5, K10's I've seen. Attached is best pic I have on hand right now.

Should note also, I did recently remove a original PS setup off a 69 C10 suburban that had a different bracket setup than what I had found on most other trucks.
Attached Images

Last edited by 72chevynut; 10-24-2017 at 11:29 PM.
72chevynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:44 PM   #3
jocko

Thanks Michael - that's what I was expecting, appreciate the confirmation. That setup is definitely common with my stock C20 brackets, so looks like I need to do a little shopping on the parts board!
Old 10-25-2017, 08:17 PM   #4
jocko

anyone ever seen one of these alternator arch support brackets? I think the rest of my brackets may be good to go, but this one threw me off.
Attached Images

Old 10-25-2017, 08:56 PM   #5
jocko

Ok, disregard, I got it sorted out... Ha. Didn't notice that a PO installed a long wp and that is what threw everything off. He even placed little spacers behind alt brackets to line up with the fan pulley while using the outer crank pulley groove, had to stare a bit to sort that all out, especially with the innovative belt system installed... It's a bit of a mess. The good news is that everything is present, just need to go back to a short wp and remove the spacers, then all the a/c brackets that were in a box will line up also. Only missing one A/C bracket from the truck, and fortunately I had it lying around. Yay. Still wondering if anyone has ever seen the extra support that goes back to the exhaust manifold - pretty sure that's a homemade setup in order to keep the alternator from flopping because of the little spacers. Always fun to do a little detective work on an old truck, but it's MUCH easier when there is a correct one sitting next to it to reference.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:41 PM   #6
72chevynut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
anyone ever seen one of these alternator arch support brackets? I think the rest of my brackets may be good to go, but this one threw me off.
That's the first one I've seen. Cool extras!!!
Old 10-25-2017, 09:45 PM   #7
72chevynut

Quote:
Ok, disregard, I got it sorted out... Ha. Didn't notice that a PO installed a long wp and that is what threw everything off. He even placed little spacers behind alt brackets to line up with the fan pulley while using the outer crank pulley groove, had to stare a bit to sort that all out, especially with the innovative belt system installed... It's a bit of a mess. The good news is that everything is present, just need to go back to a short wp and remove the spacers, then all the a/c brackets that were in a box will line up also. Only missing one A/C bracket from the truck, and fortunately I had it lying around. Yay. Still wondering if anyone has ever seen the extra support that goes back to the exhaust manifold - pretty sure that's a homemade setup in order to keep the alternator from flopping because of the little spacers. Always fun to do a little detective work on an old truck, but it's MUCH easier when there is a correct one sitting next to it to reference.
Glad to hear you have all the correct parts, except water pump. Easy cheap fix, may need new one anyway.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:01 PM   #8
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72chevynut View Post
Glad to hear you have all the correct parts, except water pump. Easy cheap fix, may need new one anyway.
I'm gonna need a lotta 'new' things on this one, ha. Thanks again for the help!
Old 10-25-2017, 10:08 PM   #9
72chevynut

Quote:
I'm gonna need a lotta 'new' things on this one, ha. Thanks again for the help!
Don't feel bad, they all usually do. Lol

Your welcome friend, anytime!!