The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-17-2018, 09:48 PM   #976
MARTINSR

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

Right on!

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 10:15 PM   #977
Black_Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Everytime I think about louvers I think about when I was 19 years old 40 years ago I was working a full blown restoration shop, we specialized in "Model 40's" which is the 1933 and 34 Ford. I paint many of them, in lacquer, cutting and buffing every single square inch including jambs to Concours d'Elegance perfection without so much as on spec of texture. With Lacquer we are talking lacquer primer sanded to perfect, applying four coats, sanding it, four more, sanding it, four more then sanding it to absolute perfection and then polishing it to a mirror.

Did I have any finger prints at the time...nope.

Brian
This will be my 3rd and hopefully, final round of sanding.

I love the look of a well done lacquer finish, I bet those old Fords looked fantastic
Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 10:19 PM   #978
evilokc

[QUOTE=MiraclePieCo;8262565]I may be taking advantage of Brian's "5 minutes a day" plan by using it as an excuse to work only 5 minutes a day, lol! Today I secured the battery cables to the firewall and installed my fan spacer. Okay, it probably took 10 minutes total...[/QUOTe

there is a show on youtube and motortrend tv called enginemasters. they did a dyno comparison of several styles of mechanical fans vs electrical fans. I have the same fan you have. they tested it and that very fans parasitic draw was 30 hp! no joke man. I'm switching to an electric and I suggest you do the same while its easy and accessible.
evilokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 12:24 AM   #979
MARTINSR

I got a little trimming done on the right side pieces. Got a pattern made from the left side and wham, done, damn this side was a lot easier than the other!

Brian
Attached Images

Old 05-18-2018, 01:37 AM   #980
DeeJayNOLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Sheep View Post
Sanding louvers, what was I thinking?
I want to get louvers cut on both my rides so bad. But yeah sanding them would be a serious weekend job. Not a 5 minute hit it and quit it.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:38 AM   #981
DeeJayNOLA

Those dog dish hub caps look good.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:15 AM   #982
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeJayNOLA View Post
Those dog dish hub caps look good.
I suspect you're talking to me, so thank you! I had them on my other truck too, minus the trim rings:
Attached Images

MiraclePieCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 02:30 AM   #983
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilokc View Post
there is a show on youtube and motortrend tv called enginemasters. they did a dyno comparison of several styles of mechanical fans vs electrical fans. I have the same fan you have. they tested it and that very fans parasitic draw was 30 hp! no joke man. I'm switching to an electric and I suggest you do the same while its easy and accessible.
Ha ha, did you happen to watch the commercials and see if the show was sponsored by Spal?

The respective merits of electric vs mechanical fans have been debated ad nauseum. I've used both and prefer the mechanical for cooling, reliability, simplicity and old school essence.

MiraclePieCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 01:57 AM   #984
MARTINSR

Soooooooo, I got one of the pieces trimmed and tacked in. And THEN I realized that I made a mistake on the area across the bottom, CRAP, CRAP!
It needs to be straight across and I looked at every friggin thing but that, CRAP. I now have to cut welds and re-shape to clean it up and weld it back again, geez. I spent hours out there trying to figure out how to pull this off tonight, will see in the morning how to solve it going back out there with a clear head.

Brian

Old 05-19-2018, 10:22 AM   #985
Black_Sheep

Finally got around to dropping off my carpeting to have the edges bound. I know it’s not much but every step forward is progress...
Old 05-19-2018, 08:30 PM   #986
lowdownstar
big guy

black sheep, nice build my friend the truck look killer....

Ray
lowdownstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 01:53 AM   #987
evilokc

i decided the other day to make my own ac compressor bracket its going to take a little time to get the design done. i didn't want my truck to sit any longer. its been driving me crazy for a couple of weeks. starting the truck and letting it warm up in the garage only to turn it off without driving. today i cleaned out the cab, put the seat back in and took it out for a drive. it ran well. i put about 20 miles on it just tooling around. it was nice to be driving the ole death rattle again. I'm hoping to get it out more and more over the next couple of weeks.
Old 05-20-2018, 02:45 AM   #988
MARTINSR

I worked out there literally all day from noonish until 10 oclock tonight getting the bottom of that window fixed up, OMG I haven't worked this much out there in a few years. This thing kicked my butt! Hope the next step is a little smoother.

Brian
Attached Images

Old 05-20-2018, 05:47 PM   #989
evilokc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
I suspect you're talking to me, so thank you! I had them on my other truck too, minus the trim rings:
great looking truck man.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:00 PM   #990
evilokc

my day isn't over yet but I'm in for lunch so I decided to put this in. today I needed to run across town and thought it would be a great time for a highway test run. I took the truck out for a few miles yesterday and it ran good so I was excited. as I went down the expressway the truck ran nice in the stop and go traffic but as I approached the highway it seemed to be getting lean. I know the carb needs main jets but it shouldn't have been that lean on a surface road. got on the highway and it was pretty happy. running 70mph with a slight surge/sputter reminding me it needed jets. however the further I went the worse that got. it was weird. it never felt like it was going die to but the acceleration was falling off. got to my destination and when I went to leave it started fine and idled happy when I was driving the surface roads it was acting lean again. when I got on the highway it wasn't happy AT ALL. didn't want to accelerate. it sputtered its way up to 60mph but I couldn't get it over that and it wasn't happy there either. it kept getting worse tot he point I was pumping the throttle instead of holding it. I was getting a slight lean ping as I drove and then it happened. 20 miles into my drive home as the motor labored to go 60mph there was a pop. it was like a medium sized backfire and the truck lurched forward with full power. it went from a labored 60mph to a strong 80mph in seconds! the death rattle was back. the rest of the highway trip was great. it couldn't have been happier. the surface roads were the same story I had my full power back. my guess is that there was some trash in the jets that finally worked their way out. so I'm pretty happy right now. my damaged fender is completed as well. I'm headed to get it right after I eat. good times guys.

Last edited by evilokc; 05-21-2018 at 08:22 PM.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:42 PM   #991
Black_Sheep

More priming and sanding, there's light at the end of the tunnel...
Attached Images

Old 05-20-2018, 09:29 PM   #992
OrrieG

Mounted the front fenders, grill support and bumper valence. On to putting the doors together.
Attached Images

OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 11:28 PM   #993
evilokc

I was able to get my fender today. its nicer after the repair than it was before. my truck ran well today. I was really winning. however some times the hot rod gods are fickle. my hood which was leaning against a wall fell over. its now damaged. the trim that holds the two pieces together has a dent and is allowing the two pieces to separate a little. I'm bummed guys.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:13 AM   #994
MARTINSR

I got all the welds on the rear window done, WHOOO HOOO! My "five minute a day" plan ended up being five hours a day this weekend, very rare but I had to spend so much time and thinking on this portion so done deal. I have a bunch of metal work still here, plannishing and finishing it off but the welding is done.

I also got some plannishing done on the top right corner of the roof that is screwed up, why I have no idea. I think I did something when I chopped it like bending the B pillar out or something don't remember. Anyway I started to plannish that bringing it back into shape.

The last photo is of my Snap On clock that I got for FREE from the Snap On man after spending about $3000 one year with him. I changed the battery today so I have a clock that works out there WHOOOHOOOO! No, those things really mean a lot to me, memories for sure.

Brian
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2018, 11:10 PM   #995
MARTINSR

I got the area over the right corner window that I planished into shape last night welded. Then I got the lower inside piece shaped and ready to weld in after I clean up the rust and protect it with paint on the back side of the pieces. The real big accomplishment tonight was to figure out what I was going to do with all these inner pieces. I got a plan that I didn't have before tonight, I am stoked!

I just want to rave about my Spitsnagle spot weld driller again. DAMN that thing works awesome! I wanted to remove that piece, just simply "unbolt" the welds, it's that easy.

Brian
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2018, 11:15 PM   #996
MARTINSR

Just something that made me giggle when I noticed that my truck cab had a gun rack in it once upon a time when it was "just a truck." You can see the holes from the screws at the arrows I put on this piece that goes over the rear window on the inside.

Brian
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2018, 11:18 PM   #997
evilokc

fender looks nice. i put about 10 miles on it running errands. i ordered a new taller air cleaner to let my motor breath. i had a 2.5inch round air cleaner with a solid lid and ordered a 5 inch tall with a filtered lid. they sent me a 6 inch. its enormous! i had to go get a longer piece of allthread to fit it. its SO tall. i hated in for 2 seconds and then fell in love with it. its ridiculous. it will fit under the hood when i put the hood back on. i need to trim the all thread tomorrow. its quite a sight running down the street. no hood, no passenger fender, giant air cleaner, loud rumbling exhaust. makes me smile.
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2018, 11:53 PM   #998
MARTINSR

Can't wait to see my fenders looking like that again.

Brian

Old 05-24-2018, 12:35 AM   #999
MARTINSR

Continuing with the inner rear cab panel. Got the center cut out of the extra one I had so I can put it in my cab with the fewest of cuts and welds. Cleaned up the rust as best I could with a quick clean. I will have to do more later but I just wanted to get the cutting started.

Brian
Attached Images

Old 05-24-2018, 11:16 PM   #1000
MARTINSR

Ok, I got out there and cut the upper inner piece in half to widen it to fit the center window. I cut the center out of the other one I had to fill the gap. So now I have to spend the night and tomorrow thinking the next step. Do I cut the filler piece that exact same as the hole and butt weld it in there, or do I leave it as it is and just MIG weld it in? Or do I make a straight cut instead of the one I did going around the dome light mount like I did? That is what I need to figure out for tomorrow night.

Brian
Attached Images