The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-15-2012, 01:09 AM   #1
JumboAMONGus

bolt on front ifs ?for 55-59

i seen a forum post on the 67-73 trucks i have a 71 chevy and seen they make a bolt on front IFS , i was wondering if anyone has seen one for the 55-59 chevy truck i would weld it in after but would be so much easier ,,
JumboAMONGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:10 AM   #2
JumboAMONGus

Re: bolt on front ifs ?for 55-59

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418355 the one in this post ,,?
Old 02-15-2012, 01:21 AM   #3
Maximus

I have heard of one bolt-on IFS, but in all honesty, the amount of stresses that the suspension takes, I feel that its undoubtedly safer welded.
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:29 AM   #4
JumboAMONGus

i will have it welded in after it would be put in ,, welders down the road and would charge more to have to set up a weld in front end , i googled search and could not find anything , is there a web site for the one you seen
Old 02-15-2012, 01:43 AM   #5
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboAMONGus View Post
i will have it welded in after it would be put in ,, welders down the road and would charge more to have to set up a weld in front end , i googled search and could not find anything , is there a web site for the one you seen
it was in a conversation, ill see if I can pull it out of my hat.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:49 AM   #6
meter swinger

Jumbo the only ones ive seen that could be bolted in would be the Jaguar and the Crown vic (with the vic being abot 2" too wide for lowered)
Im sure an aftermarket bolt on unit would be a hit, not sure why no one has taken on engineering one. A lot of risk i suppose.
With the amount of these truck being built at home i would think the market to be ripe for a resonably priced unit. The entire C-10 run was bolt on for all three generations so i would trust a good bolt on design. And with guys like nathan porter advancing that design i would think the challenges related to our frames could be dealt with also.
Maybe we need an inititive. LOL
Posted via Mobile Device
meter swinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:56 AM   #7
Maximus

looking back, I found the thread... bad news, the merged forum caused me to overlook that its an advance design IFS kit, 47-54 sorry...

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Bolt-I...ber,50961.html

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=bolt-in+IFS
Old 02-15-2012, 02:46 AM   #8
JumboAMONGus

well when looking at friames to you would think it would be easier to make one since older frames were more straight .. just like rear 4 links they make a bolt on one but it goes on outside frame be nice for a bolt on inside frame then can put wider tires to the frame rails makes it easier for when you cant weld but know welders
Old 02-15-2012, 02:02 PM   #9
_Ogre

due to the width of the 55-59 frame, no one make a bolt on for these trucks.
47-55.1 yes, but look at those kits and you see a lot of structure outside the frame.

i'm thinking some one should buy a welder no buts about it...

i use to weld and fab for a living, i own a $300 lincoln weldpac 100.
yes, it's fluxcore only. it's also 110 volt and i used it to weld 90% of my truck.

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:41 PM   #10
JumboAMONGus

well hmm ... i do have a hobart 120 handler with gas but im not sure its enough to weld on frames ? its a 110v ,, i know i tried on a fj40 motor mounts ,, but iam getting ready to go to the college this summer hopefully to do a welding course
Old 02-15-2012, 04:46 PM   #11
Maximus

Quote:
well hmm ... i do have a hobart 120 handler with gas but im not sure its enough to weld on frames ? its a 110v ,, i know i tried on a fj40 motor mounts ,, but iam getting ready to go to the college this summer hopefully to do a welding course
If I were in your shoes I would buy a weld in MII kit or Camaro Subframe-

get everything mocked up, dead strait and measure 10 times...
then tack it in place in several spots with your 110v mig. REMEASURE, Recheck everything.
when its where it needs to be I would call a mobile welder with a heavy arc welder on the back of a truck to come out and lay sticks down for an hour. Cant be that expensive and if all he has to do is show up and lay rod than it should be QUICK.

my $0.02

I'm lucky enough to have a father who welded for 10 years and has a 220v Arc welder in his garage. but a mobile rig can do it.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:43 PM   #12
JumboAMONGus

yeah thats a good idea i was looking up the prices of the hiedts on speedway , i had a stick welder my dad gave it away . but i do know a real good welder he would come do it and i could camaro sub frame i know of a parts camaro its a mid 70s just thinking with the mII front end i dont need to cut off my frame
Old 02-15-2012, 08:54 PM   #13
parkwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
If I were in your shoes I would buy a weld in MII kit or Camaro Subframe-

get everything mocked up, dead strait and measure 10 times...
then tack it in place in several spots with your 110v mig. REMEASURE, Recheck everything.
when its where it needs to be I would call a mobile welder with a heavy arc welder on the back of a truck to come out and lay sticks down for an hour. Cant be that expensive and if all he has to do is show up and lay rod than it should be QUICK.

my $0.02

I'm lucky enough to have a father who welded for 10 years and has a 220v Arc welder in his garage. but a mobile rig can do it.
I've chimed in on this before but buy the Mll front end and do like Maxiums says and tack it in place and have the mobile welder come by and finsh it off for you.. You'll be happier in the long run..I've done about 8 Mll front ends and if all is tacked in place a good welder can have it all welded it up in less than an hour and that's allowing for some cool down time between welds...
parkwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:16 PM   #14
_Ogre

welding is hard to explain, one of those things you need to do and (usually) gets better with time.
i looked up the specs of your hobart, it's more than enough to weld in anything on your truck.
if you don't feel comfortable doing it, get someone to do it with your machine and show you how to set it up and practice weld.

i cringe when someone says a 110v welder can't do it, usually from someone who can't weld.
using the 220v is better than 110v axiom is akin to saying the only welder that you should ever use is a 440v 3 phase machine.
the bigger welders actually are harder to turn down enough for light work.

fluxcore wire is used in production welding because it is cheap.
every truck, superduty pickup and big rig running down the road, has the brakes and springs held on by fluxcore wire.

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:11 PM   #15
lt155ruck

Gibbon fiberglass made a bolt in Torsion bar setup using Cordoba components. Here is a link http://www.gibbonfiberglass.com/trucks/torsion_kit1.asp I have never seen a boltin M2 or anything else for our trucks
lt155ruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:32 PM   #16
Maximus

Quote:
yeah thats a good idea i was looking up the prices of the hiedts on speedway , i had a stick welder my dad gave it away . but i do know a real good welder he would come do it and i could camaro sub frame i know of a parts camaro its a mid 70s just thinking with the mII front end i dont need to cut off my frame
The camaro frame would work, but the MII subframe is probably easier to install... If you can spend the extra cash.

The main reason I chose to do the subframe vs. MII is because I already had the firebird, and I planned it out so that I could use the entire car. (Steering Column, Front Suspension, Engine, Transmission, steering box, rims, Rear Axle ext...)
it was just more cost effective for me not to buy the MII kit, but they are a very nice, clean option and are much less intrusive. I also ran into an issue with the title, when I cut the front end for the subframe, I removed the section of my original frame that had the visible VIN #... but thats what I get for modifying the truck without ever registering it into my name... lessons learned.

Anyways, either choice (MII or Camaro sub) make great front ends for these trucks.

A side bonus, however, is I can go to any parts store (Autozone, Napa, ect...) and buy replacement parts like tie rods, steering box, ball joints, rotors, power steering pump, calipers, etc.. and I know they will be easily available for years to come
Old 02-08-2013, 11:23 AM   #17
tpimuncie

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=71800848301
Posted via Mobile Device
tpimuncie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:02 PM   #18
buggy5872

First ifs I had under my 59 was a 1981 dodge diplomat K frame. Un bolted it form the dodge and drilled 2 holes in the 59 frame for the back mounts and made some brackets for the front two mounts and bolted them on. Had to notch out the frame for the upper controll arms. Had it in there for 7 years. If you got this route.....make sure you get the k frame setting in at the same angle as it came out of the dodge. cost....50 bucks for the entire front suspension. it was OK ...better than the straight axle but not a top of the line front suspension. Logged about 30k miles on it that way. Sold the whole frame set up and now somone else is using it. I went to camaro sub frame and I custom made the 4 link rear....
1957 3100 with 59 fleetside bed
1957 5700 LCF Crew Cab "Big Bertha",1959 GMC F370
1958 GMC 600, 1946 Chevy, 1959 Viking 60 LCF
1974 Elcamino SS, 1979 6500 GMC Tilt Bed Wrecker
Big Bertha Build
buggy5872 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:05 PM   #19
Scottshotrods

Here is one more option www.scottshotrods.com we have a bolt in for your truck and we have a weld in for your truck.

Prices starting at $2395.00 complete hub to hub for a weld in
Prices starting at $2895.00 complete hub to hub for a bolt in ifs.
We have some great forum packages for all members

Justin

Last edited by Scottshotrods; 02-08-2013 at 12:08 PM. Reason: add
Scottshotrods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:16 PM   #20
tpimuncie

Just posted this link in case anyone was interested, im saving up formustang 2 myself.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-08-2013, 12:17 PM   #21
PBFAB.COM

Here's a couple threads to look at....

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=544316

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=528853

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=527352
Attached Images

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:44 PM   #22
squirrely_1

I have an eastwood 130 mig (gas) it is a 110v or 220v it has a pigtail for conversion. it is the most versitile welder i have ever used. Drop down to .023 wire and you have a perfect patch panel set up, go up to 220v with .035 and you can get major penitration on 3/8 plate steel. i often wonder what i am going to do with my 58 in the department of front suspension. i wanna drive it with the stock set up first just to say i did..lol.. Before i go IFS !!!
squirrely_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:22 PM   #23
GMtrucknut!!

fluxcore wire is used in production welding because it is cheap.
every truck, superduty pickup and big rig running down the road, has the brakes and springs held on by fluxcore wire.
I agree with Ogre ,at work we weld down the bases of 4.8 meg generators with flux core wire using the latest Miller equiptment.These are 1' thick plate and we have never had a failure in the last 23 years that I have bben there !
GMtrucknut!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:36 PM   #24
tpimuncie

Anyone ever use the speedway mustang 2s? $1200 kit
Old 10-22-2015, 06:10 AM   #25
tmoble

buggy5872, how much of your frame did you cut off? On my 57 with Gen2 Camaro stub the serial number on top of the frame is at least a full foot behind the the cut, maybe more. As these pics show, the serial # is about even with the front u-joint. it's a TH400 with a 69 Camaro crossmember. The xmember is sort of dimly visible in a couple of these pics.
Attached Images

tmoble is offline   Reply With Quote